some dc questions

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by autumnaldave, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. autumnaldave

autumnaldave Initiate (124) Dec 7, 2003 Illinois
    Trader

**I read thru the other wash dc threads and couldn't find answers to these specific questions... so ease off haters.

So... is bluejacket open? Not too much on the website or fb... shots of inside the brewery...
    They're doing the mikkeller thing as best i understand it... Thoughts on them as a brewery?

Thoughts overall on lost rhino.

Best local (md, va, dc) that bottles or cans that aren't on a tickers radar cause they're too plain.

Does union make it to washington dc?

Really excited about kangaroo boxing club for food as it's proximity to meridian pint? any good?

have there been any local ba crawls that have done a trip by metro? could you point me towards those... are there local bottleshares that would be interested in doing one the weekend of the 27th of july? nudge nudge.

From what i've read on the other threads it's pretty much a shitshow at churchkey on the weekends... yes no...?

Is anyone into graffiti on here, recommendations for spots...recs for breakfast spots as well...

2. instantmessinger

instantmessinger Initiate (119) Dec 15, 2007 District of Columbia

Not yet.

It's next door to Meridian Pint. I think the food is really good. Try it for brunch and you likely won't be disappointed.

Yes, get there really early. Then leave and go to Meridian Pint instead.

All I know about DC graffiti is Borf. But check out anything along the lines coming out of Union Station and you'll probably see a ton.

Open City (Woodley Park) and Ted's Bulletin (Eastern Market) are good breakfast spots during the week. DC is all about brunch though. KBC has a great brunch. And actually, there's a lot of really good restaurants/bars on that strip of 11th Street - Meridian Pint, KBC, Room 11, Red Rocks, Maple, El Chucho, The Coupe, etc. If you walk couple of blocks Northeast, there's DC Reynolds (good brunch, great happy hour) and Looking Glass. Go South on 11th to U Street and there's a ton there too. Or go over to Mount Pleasant/Columbia Heights. The Red Derby (decent beer list, everything in cans) has a decent brunch, but it's been a while since I've eaten there.

3. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,433) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I am not sure it is quite yet, but indications might be showing it's coming soon with a DC brewery tour scheduled as I hear.

I have to admit when they first started off they were not doing it for me, had the chaser pils and their Kolsch which were better than other items I've had from them so we'll see.

I am not sure what you are asking here, are you asking for local beers that aren't worth purchasing?

I am not sure what you're asking here

never heard of it, can't comment. Lots of great dining/food in DC all depends on what you want

There is a thread about a brewery tour in DC upcoming I am not sure that's going to be on your timing though, but a simple red line trip to Dupont and walking between Pizza Paradiso, Conn Wine, Big Hunt, P Whole Foods and Churchkey is a good crawl.

It depends on when you go and what's going on. Arriving early is key, and if it's a big release of something special it will be very busy very early.

Red line between Union and Silver Spring, the days of Cool Disco Dan though seem to have taken a back seat but not forgotten... but there's plenty of that over there.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...oning-how-cool-disco-dan-became-a-d-c-mascot/

4. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Maryland

Thoughts overall on lost rhino.​
    I just hit that place two weekends ago, and i thought the beers that i tried were pretty damn good, especially their Belgian Brown ale, which i though was fantastic!

5. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (474) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think he means Union Craft Brewing - a new brewery in Baltimore.

I don't know DC too well, but I've been to Union and I think they said they do ship to DC. They're not canning yet to the best of my knowledge though - it would be draft only.[/quote]

jkblodge likes this.
  6. scraff

scraff Initiate (160) Apr 18, 2003 Maryland

On Union Craft Brewing, 6 pack cans (Pale Ale and Alt) were at Pst Whole Foods a few days ago if I recall correctly. Cans are definitely in Howard County and Baltimore County. 100% sure of that.

RichardMNixon and jkblodge like this.
  7. cysiam

cysiam Initiate (164) Feb 21, 2005 Kentucky
    Trader

Cans of Union's ALT and Duckpin Pale have just started showing up in DC in the past month.

jkblodge likes this.
  8. jkblodge

jkblodge Initiate (108) Jun 27, 2005 Maryland

Hey you can find Union Cans at all 4 Whole Foods locations in DC. We are also at Meridian Pint and some other great bars in the city. Cheers

9. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Lost Rhino's early beers were pretty bad, so I haven't bothered to check out anything newer they've released. Kangaroo Boxing Club is awesome, maybe the best BBQ in DC. ChurchKey is fine on the weekends if you go early in the day, but it turns into a shitshow at night.

10. spitshaded

spitshaded Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

Lost Rhino is pretty good, but nothing earth-shattering. I've only been to Meridian Pint once but I really enjoyed it. Had a DC Brau OTWOA & Schlafly TIPA on draught & the food was pretty good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.