Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Latin America soon to be: craft beer in Vilcabamba, Ecuador.

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by flying_dutchman, Oct 15, 2013.

1. flying_dutchman

Hi everyone, my name is Rick, a dutch guy living in Vilcabamba, Ecuador.

After having lived here for 4 years I have become fed up with the meager selection of beer available in the region. There are only 2 commercial brands from the same brewery and hardly any craft beers at all. So I decided to start brewing my own. :) Once I have some more experience and can brew a few varieties with a stable quality everytime i brew it, I will start selling them in restaurants in Vilcabamba and bars in Loja. Will keep you all up to date here on the progress of opening my nano-brewery. :)

flying_dutchman.

2. aleszu

hey flying_dutchman, sounds great. best of luck. get in touch if you want to be connected to brewers I know in Peru, Colombia, Argentina and Chile. some are americans, others latin americans.
    writeaboutbeer@gmail.com

3. flying_dutchman

Thank you so much Aleszu, that is going to be such a big time help. :)

flying_dutchman.

4. TheMadHopper

Sounds Great dutchman! I am opening a small brew pub in Quito and would love to drop by your place some time when I am down that way

5. flying_dutchman

I am still in the process of raising funds for the first equipment, but once I am brewing you are more than welcome to drop by. I am also going to create a yeast bank eventually so I can create a infinite storage of high quality, uncontaminated yeast from all kinds of liquid yeast strains. I will try to get strains from various people in the states and other places so I can get a complete inventory of wyeast and whitelabs year-round strains. I have already talked with whitelabs about various ways of getting their yeast over here in forms other than the liquid vials.
    Once that bank is up and going I could easily supply any brewer in Ecuador with vials of liquid "ready to pitch" yeast vials at cost-price of stepping up from the deep-frozen yeast storage. That is one of the main reasons I want to start the yeast bank and having a science and biology educational back-ground I already know al the procedures by hard from practice. :)

But first I would need to raise the funds of course ^_^.

flying_dutchman

6. flying_dutchman

What do you guys think of the name "Flying Dutchman Brewhouse" as a possible name for my nano-brewery?

flying_dutchman

7. flying_dutchman

something like this if I could get permission of the copyright owner of the artwork of the flying dutchman's ship:
    [​IMG]

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe