Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Latin America soon to be: craft beer in Vilcabamba, Ecuador.

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by flying_dutchman, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flying_dutchman

flying_dutchman Oct 15, 2013 Ecuador

Hi everyone, my name is Rick, a dutch guy living in Vilcabamba, Ecuador.

After having lived here for 4 years I have become fed up with the meager selection of beer available in the region. There are only 2 commercial brands from the same brewery and hardly any craft beers at all. So I decided to start brewing my own. :) Once I have some more experience and can brew a few varieties with a stable quality everytime i brew it, I will start selling them in restaurants in Vilcabamba and bars in Loja. Will keep you all up to date here on the progress of opening my nano-brewery. :)

flying_dutchman.

2. aleszu

aleszu Mar 27, 2012 Massachusetts

hey flying_dutchman, sounds great. best of luck. get in touch if you want to be connected to brewers I know in Peru, Colombia, Argentina and Chile. some are americans, others latin americans.
    writeaboutbeer@gmail.com

3. flying_dutchman

Thank you so much Aleszu, that is going to be such a big time help. :)

flying_dutchman.

4. TheMadHopper

TheMadHopper Oct 25, 2013 Ecuador

Sounds Great dutchman! I am opening a small brew pub in Quito and would love to drop by your place some time when I am down that way

5. flying_dutchman

I am still in the process of raising funds for the first equipment, but once I am brewing you are more than welcome to drop by. I am also going to create a yeast bank eventually so I can create a infinite storage of high quality, uncontaminated yeast from all kinds of liquid yeast strains. I will try to get strains from various people in the states and other places so I can get a complete inventory of wyeast and whitelabs year-round strains. I have already talked with whitelabs about various ways of getting their yeast over here in forms other than the liquid vials.
    Once that bank is up and going I could easily supply any brewer in Ecuador with vials of liquid "ready to pitch" yeast vials at cost-price of stepping up from the deep-frozen yeast storage. That is one of the main reasons I want to start the yeast bank and having a science and biology educational back-ground I already know al the procedures by hard from practice. :)

But first I would need to raise the funds of course ^_^.

flying_dutchman

6. flying_dutchman

What do you guys think of the name "Flying Dutchman Brewhouse" as a possible name for my nano-brewery?

flying_dutchman

7. flying_dutchman

something like this if I could get permission of the copyright owner of the artwork of the flying dutchman's ship:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe