Sour Stouts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by alysmith4, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Zealot (507) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

LOL

2. cyrushire

cyrushire Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Florida

sit and drink six of these in a row and then reevaluate your statement about these being girly beers.

3. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

It was a facetious comment designated by the :wink: emoticon and related to the fruit beer thread.

I've drank plenty of Bells Cherry Stout. It's a pretty good beer.

4. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,431) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Weyerbacher sour black

alysmith4 likes this.
  5. MPLSbrewer

MPLSbrewer Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2010 Minnesota

Porto gallito by freetail. Get it if you can. Amazing in my opinion

fredmugs and alysmith4 like this.
  6. shredder83

shredder83 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Illinois

Funk metal sounds good, I don't think we get jester king in il though, tart side was around here long enough for me to grab one four pack but that was a couple months ago.

alysmith4 likes this.
  7. mccallisters_dali

mccallisters_dali Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 North Carolina

I feel like you are better off finding a local brewery and looking there.... I have found that a lot breweries pour a sour or two, but most do not bottle them. My shop still has a few Uinta Birthday Suits, but that is a sour brown...

alysmith4 likes this.
  8. stealth

stealth Zealot (562) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Had no idea - the DS website, as you probably know, is useless for finding out any information. I purchased some from Etre before any reviews were even posted on here or RB and figured a stout that deliciously sour had to be intentional.

alysmith4 likes this.
  9. MIbeerGUY

MIbeerGUY Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2012 Michigan

Probably hard to get your hands on (unless you talk me into trading you one :slight_smile: ), but Aigre Plead the Fifth from Darkhorse is money in my eyes.

alysmith4 likes this.
  10. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,462) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Does anyone remember that craft brew from Italy that was a sour imperial stout with blueberries added? I remember tasting it in Philly and it being especially good. I did pass on buying a bottle when I saw it later; which were $25 for each 750ml IIRC.

Psykhe likes this.
  11. Doc_Hops

Doc_Hops Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

Dark Horse makes in interesting one, but I'm sure sure that it's actually labeled as a sour stout. Tres Blueberry Stout was pretty interesting when I tried it. All the sour fruit comes through on the back end , and when it warms up just a few degrees its pretty delicious.

alysmith4 likes this.
  12. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I came here to say I know a guy who loves Porto Gallito but he just said it himself. :slight_smile:

13. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (189) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Undrinkable sour black ale by just beer. Reasonably priced at $8.99 for a 750.

alysmith4 likes this.
  14. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I'll second that. Belgian yeast really makes it unique. Love that beer.

15. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,086) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

They're not supposed to be.

16. Psykhe

Psykhe Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2010 Maryland

Birrificio del Ducato 'My Blueberry Nightmare' is pretty fantastic, though admittedly intense, if you can find it on draft. It has a definite balsamic vinegar tinge with a hint of heat, blueberries, stone fruits, and roasted malt.

"An extension of Birrificio Del Ducato's Verdi Imperial Stout - My Blueberry Nightmare is a stout brewed with hot chili, then aged for 2 years in oak barrels with blueberries."

17. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,462) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Yes! My Blueberry Nightmare. That's what it was. It was $25 a bottle at the bottle shop so I passed.

18. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

They probably turned sour from all the hepatitis present at Three Floyds / DLD.

19. Psykhe

Psykhe Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2010 Maryland

I don't think I've even seen it in bottles; we lucked in to having it on draft at Ebenezer's Pub last Fall and it was fantastic. Definitely a polarizing beer though- you'll either love it or hate it.

20. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Aspirant (282) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

I believe Jester King's limited beers are mostly TX only. I think a few made it to CA for some strange reason.. As if they aren't spoiled enough lol.

MisterGrizz, shredder83 and alysmith4 like this.
  21. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,560) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

kirkse and alysmith4 like this.
  22. jdmandel

jdmandel Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 California

I had some of this on tap and it is probably still my favorite sour stout. The blueberry is a perfect compliment for a great sour stout! Tart of Darkness and Madrugada Obscura are both great too.

alysmith4 and Psykhe like this.
  23. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

is funk metal hard to come by? would love to try it !

24. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

2009 Abyss

alysmith4 and azureoval like this.
  25. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Milk stout after an hour in the sun

belvedere86 and alysmith4 like this.
  26. regularjohn

time makes fools of us all :grinning:

HopCraverDave likes this.
  27. azureoval

azureoval Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2010 California

I had a 50/50 success rate with mine. Some of the infected ones were drinkable. A couple were really Not !

28. cpferris

cpferris Initiate (51) Jan 22, 2008 Indiana

Black Cherry Bomb

alysmith4 likes this.
  29. animal69

animal69 Meyvn (1,149) Sep 21, 2007 Louisiana

a new style for me as well, so far my fave is uinita labyrinth black ale, classified as an am. impy

alysmith4 likes this.
  30. danedelman

danedelman Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2011 Pennsylvania

Weyerbacher Sour Black is drinking very tart right now. Wish I had more:slight_frown:

alysmith4 likes this.
  31. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Aspirant (282) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

Some cities here in TX might have some bottles hanging around. It stuck around til about a month ago here in fort worth. I haven't seen anymore lately. I went through about a case this year, half being sent to trade partners and half for myself. Its delicious.

32. regularjohn

thats awesome! def wanna trade for that some time in the near future

33. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Disciple (353) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

Tart of Darkness and Obscura! Both amazing sour stouts.

alysmith4 likes this.
  34. MisterGrizz

MisterGrizz Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Texas

Came here to say this. Hard to get - I have some if anyone wants any - but from what I've read on here (and my own opinion) it's far and away one of the best out there. It's probably my favorite beer that they make.

EDIT: Went down to JK a month or two ago and they had this at their on-site "pizza-bar" and they had mason jars of Funk Metal for $8. It. Was. Amazing.

alysmith4 likes this.
  35. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

I imagine within a few months, Funk Metal's taste should be turning decidedly sour rather than stout. It hasn't been out long enough to determine where it'll end up after ~1-2 years, but I have a bottle I'm saving until it's a year old. So I'll update my review of it when that happens. Looking forward to it. It's a great sour stout.

alysmith4 likes this.
  36. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 Illinois

Funky Jewbelation is a Fantastic sour BBA and Whiskey BA ale but it pours like a stout !!

alysmith4 likes this.
  37. SadMachine

SadMachine Poo-Bah (2,445) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Tart Side of the Moon was by far the most stout-like sour I've had! It was fantastic! While Tart of Darkness was very good, I found it lacking many real "stout" characteristics other than the color and some slight roastiness... A sour for sure, but a stout... not so sure...

38. Bakker

Bakker Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2010 Illinois

Waiting for alysmith4 to comment on this

alysmith4 likes this.
  39. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

This one might be tricky to get a hold of, as it's a nanobrewery out of Iowa, but it pretty much embodies the style "sour stout". When I tried it, the coffee and dark chocolate notes that are common in stouts were definitely present along with a noticeable sourness.

Morningwood Breakfast Stout:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29782/84944

A local bottle shop here in Kansas City got some of it along with a couple of the other beers from CIB. If they have any left, I could probably get my hands on some for you.

alysmith4 likes this.
  40. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Disciple (385) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

I was very fortunate to get Tart of Darkness both in the bottle and on tap at Papagos. It is a totally awesome sour stout and well worth the hunt. It sat on the shelves here at the local TW until they reduced it so I grabbed 2 extra bottles and put them in the cellar. Can;t wait to try one next spring and see what it's done.

alysmith4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.