South Africa - Coping with a Dry Lockdown

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by CervezaNY, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CervezaNY

CervezaNY Aspirant (205) Mar 24, 2016 New York

BJB13 and officerbill like this.
  2. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Just how high is the rate of “booze-related injuries” in South Africa?
    The article hits a trifecta of being humorous, frightening, and inspirational.

KevSal, ChicagoJ, BJB13 and 1 other person like this.
  3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,263) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

bubseymour, ChicagoJ, BJB13 and 3 others like this.
  4. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (140) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

I don’t pretend to understand crime in South Africa. But looking at some data from 2018, it seems their overall murder rate (66/100K) is marginally higher than the highest city in the US, which to my surprise is not Chicago or Detroit, but St. Louis (61/100K). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate
    Just wondering what their thinking is vs our thinking. If an American city shut off alcohol sales, I’m afraid violent crime might go up instead of down. Understanding, of course, that there are many types of violent crime.

5. erway

erway Initiate (140) Jul 28, 2006 New Mexico

This is truly dangerous. Whether they like it or not, chronic alcoholics could experience brain hemorrhages from seizures. Talk about a great way to fill up ICU beads.

#5 erway, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2020
    Providence, morimech, tzieser and 2 others like this.
  6. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,426) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

This is a bad idea. Hospitals will be filled with alcoholics suffering withdrawal.

7. BJB13

BJB13 Savant (911) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland

Interesting situation, though only from afar. I am obviously thankful not to be living in a "dry" environment.
    I am curious about the bootleg situation. I cant imagine it would take too long for the able and inclined to start supplementing their income.

8. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (471) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

There was an article a couple weeks ago about a couple in South Africa that died, it was (haven't heard an update) being blamed on homebrew "beer" - though IIRC, the circumstances were odd if it was beer in any form that we know of.

FBarber and BJB13 like this.
  9. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (195) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

Fake news.......

bubseymour likes this.
  10. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (471) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

They died after consuming homebrew alcohol. Whether that had anything to do with the death is the question.

11. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (195) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

Most probably it was what used to be called "bathtub gin".

12. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Yep, this will be a major issue. There have also been instances in the past where there were mass poisonings due to methanol being sold as ethanol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.