News South African brewery Vale Bru apologizes for sexist beer campaign

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Shanex, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Shanex

Shanex Crusader (762) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

I am pretty sure we have had similar threads before about alleged mysoginyst or sexist beer names and labels - though maybe before the Wenstein case(s) and this #MeToo movement...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44412277

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,361) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Sounds like they will be changing the names after all this. Been pretty quiet on the beer side with name issues but this sounds like a mess for them.

Shanex likes this.
  3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (911) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Proves that Americans aren't the only dumbasses in the beer industry.

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,486) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Foolish to begin with, but now they've got to completely re-brand - not so easy to do, and I think that no matter what they do this might drag along after them anyway.

5. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (831) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

*Waits for Mormons to demand Squatters change the name Polygamy Porter because it's bigoted against their religion*

6. Latverian43

Latverian43 Initiate (123) Jun 10, 2018 Kentucky

All those makes sound no different than many names for mixed drinks .

Politcal correctness makes no sense to me

Hoppsbabo, TrojanRB and eldoctorador like this.
  7. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

How about general decorum. Does that make sense to you?

raticus, bmugan and jrnyc like this.
  8. Latverian43

Its all in the way you use the words and how you present them.What are we going to do start changing the names of mixed drinks that have a sexual theme to them?

9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,017) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Probably. Twenty years ago, maybe even ten years ago, there would have been minimal negative attention given to names like this, and there would have been no real pressure to change them. Times are changing.

I predict there will be a time where there will be some discussion that names like "Slow Comfortable Screw" do not mean rape or sexual harassment, and imply consensual. Eventually though, "consensual" probably won't be an accepted argument.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  10. Latverian43

I was going to use slow screw and slow comfortable screw as well. There is even a slow comfortable screw against the wall.

But yes you are correct. The world has changed and not for the better in most areas

PatrickCT and bbtkd like this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Drink names aren't the work of just one bar. As unfortunate as they might be, they are public domain. Beer names are a different story.

12. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (825) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina

This made the BBC broadcast as well.

Bathroom/locker room humor just isn’t part of a sound business model and this went way, way overboard.

Dumb- potentially alienating a substantial part of your customer base to appeal to frat boy mentality.

13. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (594) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I love how any time people take a shit on lazy, lowest common denominator garbage like these beer names, someone has to show up to deride political correctness. It has nothing to do with offending the sensibilities of others. Every bog standard craft brewery seems compelled to put a big titted woman on their blonde ale label and slap a stupid name on it. Give it a damn rest.

14. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (831) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

We need to extend this offense to the 800 billion "hoppy ending" puns. I've been at the point for years where there's a 98% chance I won't drink your beer if your call it hoppy ending, loose blonde, "the brown note", etc, etc. It's like some of these brewery owners never got past high school. I vote with my wallet more than my keyboard though. They can have their juvenile names and be left to wonder why people are put off by them. That's just me though.

frozyn, DovGibor, Beersnake1 and 3 others like this.
  15. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (564) Dec 12, 2014 California

An honest question (for whoever want to answer).

What if a brewery wanted to appeal only to fratboys (or whatever other group), without caring whether they alienate or not other segments of society. Would those beer names be OK then?

16. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Change "fratboys" to "racists" or "hate groups" and tell me if you think people should object. Sexism and misogyny is no different than racism.

17. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,153) Jul 27, 2013 California

More manufactured faux outrage from people that probably weren't going to buy the beer anyways.

18. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

If you're not outraged by sexism, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror, brother. Or maybe you're OK with treating other people as inferior to yourself. BTW, how'd your last American Eugenics Society meeting go?

19. TrojanRB

It's not sexist. The beer and/or brewery isn't treating women any different than men.

It's crass marketing.

leantom, ilikebeer03 and waltari like this.
  20. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

So, by your definition a swastika or a black person getting whipped adorning a can of beer is just fine, too. It's just marketing, after all.

Janeinma and thesherrybomber like this.
  21. TrojanRB

I think you're smart enough to know those aren't the same things, but nice try with a "think of the children" moment

leantom likes this.
  22. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

No, you're right, the objectification of women isn't slavery or genocide, but the fact remains that it is still objectionable. That should be obvious to anyone, anywhere.

poopinmybutt and thesherrybomber like this.
  23. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (640) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Let the market dictate. This form of sexism/idiotic branding typically will lose, monetarily, in the market.

Its ironic. People who publicly object to this branding (and protest for them to change) actually help the business and business owners out. You force them, by public shaming, to change their branding. Yet by doing so, they remain in business and perhaps do better in business because they don’t have reprehensible branding anymore.

You want them, and people like them, out of the craft beer industry? Let them keep their gross branding and the likely financial woes that come along with it. Cheers!

TrojanRB likes this.
  24. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Interesting thought process.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  25. TrojanRB

Just because something is objectionable doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist.

Let people vote with their wallets.

hoptualBrew likes this.
  26. TrojanRB

You could probably make the argument that they should've stayed the course. They were clearly segmenting the market...they weren't going to appeal to 100% of beer drinkers, but I'm sure there is a subset that identified with the branding and were more likely to buy it. They were successful in differentiation. They'd never become a Budweiser with that strategy, but could probably cultivate a profitable niche.

In any case, I agree with you, let the market dictate. We are all just talking in a vacuum anyways....I'd wager none of us have ever had their beer, and probably won't in the future either....so ultimately we don't matter.

27. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

But I want to live in a utopia, man! :wink:

Indeed.

TrojanRB likes this.
  28. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (815) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

It’s so lame. Moral argument aside. You can do sexy without being crass and you can do dirty with some wink wink, nudge nudge, Groucho Marx finesse.

This kind of shit is just so cringey and stupid. Way to take a page from Budweiser’s playbook, guys.

How embarrassing of you want to share your beer with your mom or sister.

“Hey honey, I’d love to try some of your new beer!”
    “Sure Mom! Here’s a six pack of my ‘T&A IPA’. Like the naked chick trucker art on the label?”

29. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

This just reminds me of how much I hate ordering certain beers at the bar simply because I have to say the name of them aloud.

JohnnyChicago, hoptualBrew and LeRose like this.
  30. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,504) Aug 17, 2013 Germany
    Beer Trader

Yeah, this is crossing a really thick line. There is a difference between sexually themed drinks and a company that says things like "the blonde all your friends have had" and "ripe readhead". This is unacceptable, and I don't think that a bunch of beer drinking guys should decide if this is offensive to women. I hope they go out of business.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  31. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (838) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Too many cucks in this world.

tzieser and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  32. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (640) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

The philosophical beer names get me too.

“Can I have a glass of ‘What is the Meaning of Life’ please?”.

33. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

I kind of understand the odd or obscure references "thing". Makes your beer name unique and prevents C&D's. Two birds. One stone.

34. Latverian43

Sitting in a bar and just ordering what the drink or beer is called with some tact is one thing. But ordering it and making some crude remark or joke about in the presence of people that might get offended is another thing entirely

I would care to wager if this era was the1940s of 50s men and not even women would get offended .it's a name . laugh about it or ignore it but don't get offended by it.

#34 Latverian43, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    stevesbeer, Hoppsbabo and TrojanRB like this.
  35. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

I'm just going to leave this quote here:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

- Edmund Burke

LeRose and frozyn like this.
  36. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (165) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

I enjoy a good "sexist" beer campaign. Pseudofeminism has no place in craft beer or society.

Insert Magic Mike and grool.

37. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,904) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I like beer, I like women and I like the two together at the same time and place which I think is simply normal.

38. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (131) Jun 13, 2017 California

News flash: world doesn't revolve around you...

39. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

He was . . . umm . . . making a funny.

Squire likes this.
  40. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (131) Jun 13, 2017 California

It doesn't make sense to release something you know will piss off a large segment of the population (unless you're "protesting", or something... will just hurt you in the long run).