South African Microbreweries?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Chrisheartsbeer, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homebru

homebru Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 South Africa

Hi! Thanks for the offer but I am unfortunately not in CT at the moment! My blog http://homebru.net/ is fairly up to date when it comes to breweries but not places.
    There are some breweries in Paarl, Stellenbosch as well.
    In CT: Try bars along Long Street and if you have time Banana Jam Café. There are some breweries close to the City Bowl as well. (worth a visit)
    Roland Liquors on Roland Street is a good place to start if you want to by bottles to bring along.

kemoarps and gothedistance like this.
  2. gothedistance

gothedistance Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2009 South Carolina

Thank you for being so helpful! This info is great!

3. sholland119

sholland119 Pooh-Bah (2,356) Sep 8, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Beerhouse on Long was the standout for us when we were in Cape Town in May. Tremendous selection of locals. Great food, great service.

We also went to the Devil's Peak brewery. An enjoyable stop for sure. As tourists, we got a cab in and had them call us a cab to take us back to the V&A waterfront. YMMV but I'd recommend that.

We also enjoyed Den Anker on the waterfront. Beer is mostly Belgian, and likely nothing you have not had here in the states but a nice stop.

There is a bottle shop in the V&A Food Market that has some good local stuff. There is also a bar on the second floor of the building where you can grab a beer. Mitchell's is a cool place at the waterfront with some craft beer. Smoking allowed inside but not outside, which totally threw us for a loop.

If you get out of the city to the wine country, well, drink wine. But there is a place in Stellenbosch called Craft which is very cool. In Franschhoek, the Franschhoek Station Pub and Grill has a great sampler of local beers.

gothedistance likes this.
  4. WhiteRock

WhiteRock Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Texas

I am going to Cape Town in October and was wondering if there is any particular brewery or beer that stood out to you?

5. sholland119

sholland119 Pooh-Bah (2,356) Sep 8, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think our favorite beers were by Woodstock Brewery in Cape Town. We only saw their stuff at Beerhouse on Long. We like hoppy American style beers. We enjoyed a beer by a smaller new brewery called Riot, again tap only and only at Beerhouse.

Devil's Peak had some good stuff, and was much easier to find. We liked the Blockhouse IPA in particular but the others we tried at the taproom were solid.

Jack Black lager was a really clean, delicious lager. We saw that a lot.

Did not care for the Stellenbrau beers particularly, and were not wowed by Cape Brewing.

We did a couple of days on safari with no craft beer available. Hansa Pilsener was the best SAB Miller product I have ever had and pretty solid by any measure. I'd say maybe it just tasted good because we were drinking it while watching lions and zebras in the bush. But we also had Castle Lager, which was just awful.

Cheers.

6. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

xxxxxxxxxxxxx likes this.
  7. goblueram

goblueram Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2015 Michigan

New to the site, but just returned from living in South Africa (Joburg, but traveled all over SA) for almost a year. I will second the Jack Black (as well as Lumberjack and other varieties) as a good option and widely available across SA. When it comes to my favorite places to drink:

Joburg - Hogs Head: great smoked bbq food, and a line of their own "Brewhogs" beers with some good variety. They'll also have many of the other beers found across SA on tap.

Cape Town - Beerhouse on Long street: have to second the prior review, they have an incredible variety, it's open late, and just a fun place. You'll probably meet tons of folks from around the world and have a great time.

CBC (Cape Brewing Company) - these guys are located out near Stellenbosch connected to a winery called Spice Route if I recall correctly. Worth the trip and nice to see a gem of a brewery in the middle of wine country (drink both though, especially the Pinotage!).

CBC also makes a beer for The Butcher Shop restaurant (locations in Joburg and Cape Town) and the Pick's Pick lager, IPA, and pilsner are very very solid.

Clarens - Clarens Brewery: we went to this town after hiking in Drakensberg mountains and heard it was known for a craft brew festival. Tried a bunch at the brewery, everything seemed to have a real smokey flavor but some interesting brews on tap in this small town.

Hope this can help someone traveling to the beautiful country of South Africa!

sholland119 likes this.
  8. Spreetaper

Spreetaper Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2014 New York

I am planning a big brewery tour in CT area in March/April. Will be down for a couple weeks visiting family.
    It's been 7 years since I was back and at that time I don't recall anything craft other than Mitchell's
    Will try to hit all of the following and also post some notes/pictures/videos.

Bars
    Beerhouse
    Banana Jam

Breweries

Woodstock Area:
    Devil's Peak
    Riot Beer
    Woodstock Brewery
    Drifter Brewing Company

Stellenbosch/Paarl/Somerset West
    Wild Beast
    Stellenbosch Brewing
    Stellenbrau
    Cape Brewing Company
    Triggerfish

Kenilworth
    Beard and Barrel
    Afro Caribbean [Banana Jam Cafe]

Nordhoek

The Aegir Project

Kommetjie
    Atlantic Storm Brewery

sholland119 likes this.
  9. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Any updates? Will pass through Jo'burg on a circuit of animal parks and such up to Krueger and down to Durban, next month.

10. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I should've mentioned Ballitoville, where I'll have a couple days after the safari portion of the trip. I'll plumb the above link for ideas, of course.

11. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Pooh-Bah (2,418) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can anyone help find info on this beer believed to be located in the Cape Town area? My friend has a 3-legged cat named Izzy and she desperately wants some sort of signage about this beer. I can't find any information besides 2 Untappd checkins for the entire brewery, so I suspect it might be a homebrew? TIA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.