Southeast Virginia Beer/Tasting Clubs?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Hanzo, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (975) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

We'd need something concrete, not someone that would abandon us for BA Sexual Chocolate release. :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Shilt

Shilt Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

Fair enough. They should be announcing that in the next week or so. So if your still looking for a place and I'm in town I'd be more than happy to host!

3. LambicKing

LambicKing Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Germany

So while we wait to hear from Malty (and Shilt, if needed), can we agree on a theme for the tasting? I'm up for anything, so I'll leave it entirely to you guys: Saisons, Abbeys, Stouts/Porters, Barleywines, IPAs, Sours, Wheats, etc.

4. Hanzo

I vote Stouts/Imp Stouts/Porters.

5. richardflyr

richardflyr Initiate (112) Jul 28, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I can go for Imperial Stouts / Porters

6. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

please, go on.
    depending on date, add another Richmonder... :sunglasses:

7. Head-high

Head-high Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2012 Virginia

The Birch was great! Thanks for the recommendations. The JW Lee's was very good.

8. Hanzo

What was your first impression walking up to the place? Be honest.

9. LambicKing

Good to hear you had fun. It's a beer lover's paradise.

10. Head-high

Was great. I'm a Dad with kids so no TV's was a nice sight. There was a big group of twenty-somethings having a good time so the energy was good. Great place, can't wait to go back.

11. Hanzo

I meant walking up, like looking at the outside of the place. I know inside it is great, but from the outside I can tell you, unless I had heard of it before I would have never walked in.

12. LambicKing

In Feb 2011, when at a course in Norfolk, a few classmates and I heard of a cool new place that opened the month prior. We gave it a shot despite it looking like a chop shop on the outside... now talk it up any chance I get. Then that following Oct I was shocked to find out I was going to move here from Belgium...my first thought was "sucks that I'm leaving, but I get to drink at the Birch!" Lol

13. Hanzo

Ha ha, yeah, I mean the place is awesome, I'm just iffy on the outside. If I wasn't a beer person I would have never stopped in. But I guess that is where word of mouth advertising/social media sites comes in.

So we got a few votes for Stouts/porters, I think we should lock that in. Still haven't heard anything from Malty. Hope he's ok.

14. Shilt

I'm down for stouts/porters as well.

15. montman

montman Devotee (434) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I went to the Birch Friday night and had a JW Lees as well, it was pretty tasty. Was also impressed with the Mikkeller 1000 IBU's, had never had it before.

16. Hanzo

montman, were you interested in doing a tasting with us? I noticed you are nearby but I don't remember you saying you were in or not. (went back a few pages and didn't see anything)

17. Head-high

Ha! Had these same 2 beers Friday! Started with an Oarsman.

18. montman

montman Devotee (434) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I would like to join you guys sometime for a tasting, but I have an infant at home so it's hard to commit to much currently, free time is at a premium right now. I'll follow the threads for the future, but I really doubt I could make this one.

19. Hanzo

Congrats!

I have a 5 month old and know how it can get.

20. Hanzo

Ok, now that the these is selected I'd like to move on to structure.

I've never done a private tasting, but in my opinion it should be done after everyone's had lunch (say 1pm). How do we figure out how much each person brings?

Ideally it would be cool to actually taste the beer, cause I don't know about you but if everyone brings two or three bombers of Imperial Stouts we aren't going to be tasting anything after a while unless we spread out the drinks over a long period.

21. ncaudle

it's really going to depend on the # of people present as to how much to bring.

was at a tasting on saturday with about 10 others. we went through a good 30 or so bottles of everything from Parabola> Saison Brett >DIPAs, barleywines, etc, along with food/water, in about 4 hours with no one being drunk.

also, odds are that you will not try/drink everything brought.
    not everyone can bring a Chocolate Rain and/or Double Black...

22. richardflyr

Trader

1 bomber each person should be plenty - I need to drive back home afterwards!

23. Hanzo

Never underestimate us tickers :wink:

But judging by the interest on the site, I'd say less than ten are coming, more like maybe 6.

24. ncaudle

what if someone brings something you've already had? :wink:

25. Hanzo

Then I ask them to leave.

:stuck_out_tongue:

26. ncaudle

and if you bring something the rest of us has had, you have to leave? :stuck_out_tongue:
    lol

27. Hanzo

Touché

So how does it work, does everyone just post what they are going to bring, or just randomly show up with stuff?

28. Shilt

I've been to some tastings with Nic (ncaudle) before and generally 2-3 bottles are brought but sometimes not everything is opened. If I end up hosting we can pick some of my stouts from the cellar, but as of now I'm thinking of cracking The Bruerys BA Smoking Wood, Nectar Ales Black Xantus and perhaps 50/50 BART. This is all subject to change, but I say a minimum of two bottles is good. Even with six people we can kill a 750 in no time. How are those beers as far as ticks for you Hanzo? :slight_smile:

29. richardflyr

Trader

As for a date are we thinking July 21st still?

30. Hanzo

Those beers sound great to me, and yeah, that's the tentative date. (still haven't heard from Malty and not sure when the BA Sexual Chocolate launch is).

I hope something I have is to bring is decent, I don't have an awesome cellar filled with whales :-(

I'll probably just let you guys decide what from my gots to bring.

http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=Hanzo&view=G

31. LambicKing

21st is still good for me. Initially, I'm thinking of bringing Speedway, Older Viscosity (especially if Hanzo wants to do a side-by-side with Old Viscosity), and maybe Cisco Capt Swain's or Oak Yeti or Mean Old Tom or Peak Organic Oak Mocha. Or whatever. Open for suggestions.

32. Head-high

I'd like to try to make it. My wife works full time so it's about a 50/50 if I can make it. I could bring a Plead the 5th(12 oz so it's only be a taste for everyone), Serpent's Stout, and something else. Maybe Berkshire Coffeehouse Porter.

33. richardflyr

Trader

I was eyeballing my Freetail La Muerta, and maybe BA BORIS Royale or The Abyss (2010). Or a Black Metal (non-Farmhouse Yeast).

34. Hanzo

A side by side of Old and Older Viscosity would be cool.

I have a 12oz Plead the 5th also, so between us both we'd have 24oz to pour.

The Abyss eh? I've heard great things but never had a chance to try it.

35. Maltytasker

Maltytasker Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2007 Virginia

Hey Guys . Haven't been on here in a while but its sounding good for a tasting . So it sounds like bring 2 or 3 stouts on 7/21 so far . I'm up for that . I've got some decent stouts . The SN 30th , KBS , aged WWS , Ten Fidy , Expedition and some others . And I've got a Kuhnhenn Old ale that I've been wanting to open .

Has anyone seen the Ruination 10th ? When I tried the regular a few years ago it was a bit much for me but I'm looking forward to trying this one .

36. LambicKing

There he is!! I haven't seen Ruination 10th, but only been to TW in NN, so others may have it. I'll call a couple places tomorrow if I get time at work. Love regular Ruination, so would be cool to give this one a shot.

37. Head-high

Talked with Kevin yesterday and he thinks he gets it any day. Looks like it's not as "limited" as Stone made it out to be. I have a few bottles my buddy from SC sent me. If for some weird reason it's scarce here I'd be happy to get one to you. Sounds like it will be plentyful once it arrives though.

38. whitemomba

whitemomba Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 Virginia

Id be interested in this as well. Just moved to norfolk about 2 weeks ago. I got some fun bottles i could bring (BT, BA shipwreck porter, abacus...if we are doing stouts/porters) so count me in. I have a bunch of RR sours too (including beat) if anyone is interested in sours.

39. Maltytasker

Maltytasker Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2007 Virginia

Sounds great , nice selection . We are probably doing the first one at my house in Virginia Beach . I just added you to the conversation we have going .

40. LambicKing

You had me at sours...I am already giddy for that tasting. Have quite a few lambics/gueuze I could bring for that.

Edit-and BT sounds divine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.