Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates (2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jmdrpi, Dec 13, 2016.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (3,854) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Generally the only thread about the Philly suburban area & surrounding Counties that seems to general much ongoing conversation is the Tired Hands thread.

So consider this a catch-all thread for area updates and news. What's new or going on in the area?

I saw that Stable 12 in Phoenixville is canning beer for the first time this week:
    "Can release of the Wild West IPA and the Rodeo Clown Russian Imperial Stout on Saturday 12/17."

Not sure if that means they got a canning line, or if it's being done by a mobile service.

hopflyer likes this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,630) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Beav42 and jmdrpi like this.
  3. jmdrpi

Subscriber

These are at the northern limit of what I'd consider SEPA, but three new breweries have recently opened in the Lehigh Valley:

Yergey Brewing in Emmaus
    Bonn Place in Bethlehem
    Lost Tavern in Hellertown

I visited Yergey this weekend (along with Funk & HiJinx), and it's a nice little spot. The brews ranged from just okay to quite good. I was impressed with the Wee Love Scotch (wee heavy), and A Beer Has No Name (hoppy red ale).

4. makalarch

makalarch Aspirant (292) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sweet thanks for setting this up! As my first post I would like to inform everyone that the Wegman's in Collegeville has 2 cases of Victory Java Cask in case anyone missed out on the release.

CanConPhilly and jmdrpi like this.
  5. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Did I see that Victory used different barrels than the previous Java Cask release? Rye instead of Bourbon?

6. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah they offered that as another option, I don't think that one saw any kind of distro though. I'm surprised the regular one did actually.

7. jmdrpi

Subscriber

oh gotcha, they released two different versions, didn't realize.
    http://www.thetowndish.com/2016/11/30/magic-behind-victorys-barrel-aged-beers/
    Last year's release I definitely bought a bottle at a beer store, so it definitely hit distribution previously.

8. Donco

Donco Devotee (459) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The Java Cask in Rye Barrels was a brewery-only release. I picked one up there, but haven't tried it yet.

9. Donco

Beer Trader

Glad you started this thread! On my current "lookout list":
    Lagunitas High Westified
    Epic Big Bad Baptista & Double Barrel Big Bad Baptist

10. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Big Bad Baptist I have seen at the Wegman's in Collegeville as well but I haven't noticed the Double Barrel. I asked Whole Foods in Devon about the High Westified and they hadn't heard when they are getting it yet. I work up in Collegeville but live down in Media so those two places are on my commute.

11. jmdrpi

Subscriber

From that article on Victory's barrel program:
    The Flanders Red is being released on Thursday, brewpubs only. From their FB page:
    [​IMG]

therealJAYZ and makalarch like this.
  12. bmack414

bmack414 Initiate (15) Jun 2, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It was actually Levante's first bottle they released, but they messed it up and it was over carbed and thin. So the draft version is the only good version.

Dando274 and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. Houser

Houser Defender (614) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

@Donco is referring to big bad baptista (with an 'a' on the end). i am looking for those as well.

14. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

oh right on my bad, just looked it up, yeah i'm looking for it too haha.

15. Donco

Beer Trader

That is correct, sir! Yes, I'm on the lookout and will be happy to post if/when I find some. Both are very limited releases...I also regularly take a trip over the bridge to S. NJ as well.

"Regular" Big Bad Baptist is all over the area and is one of my favorites. I've spotted several release #'s around the area.

16. jmdrpi

Subscriber

So Stable 12 gave the pricing for their cans:
    What's with this trend of breweries not giving a case discount when direct retailing? $90 for a case of IPA is way out of whack. There are plenty of locally brewed IPAs on the shelves of beer distributors for $40 to $50 a case.

Boo to this.

DonObiWan likes this.
  17. tsfinn23

tsfinn23 Initiate (149) Dec 31, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I grabbed a bottle of both baptista and bbb baptist at The Loft at Iron Abbey on Friday. I also saw it posted at Beer Store but refuse to go there. Hoping to grab one more Baptista because it was fantastic.

18. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Aspirant (286) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

How are the prices at The Loft compared to The Beer Store?

19. breslinp

breslinp Initiate (145) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

This was my question as well. I think The Loft if high, but not as high? I haven't been to The Beer Store since they opened.

20. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Aspirant (286) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Probably following the example set by The Alchemist where a case of Heady isn't discounted. However Heady is "only" $75 for a case...

21. corew

corew Initiate (162) Jun 10, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

1) So glad you started this thread
    2) Saw someone comment on Stable 12's announcement of this on facebook that they are the "best local brewery"... I don't even think they are the best in Phoenixville, let alone a 15 mile radius, but anyway, if that is what they are charging for their cans that is outrageous

grimey68 likes this.
  22. Donco

Beer Trader

Yes, helpful if you'd post pricing on any place.

23. breslinp

breslinp Initiate (145) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Iron Hill charges the same, no? I think it's more the cost of mobile canning, than what they think of the demand on their beer.

I can't say I've been to Stable 12 even though I live 15 minutes from there. When I hear good things, I'd be willing to go.

24. corew

Beer Trader

You are probably right about Iron Hill charging the same. But I've also never bought their cans either! If I was around honestly, I'd still probably like to grab a pack just to see how it is though...

25. organicbrewer

organicbrewer Disciple (375) Aug 6, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Industry

Two Rivers Brewing in Easton is releasing a barrel aged peach wild ale in bottles on December 22nd.
    "A wild ale using 12 strains of wild yeast, aged in Sauvignon blanc barrels, and fermented on 500 pounds of fresh peaches from Scholl Orchards in our custom oak fouders. Sour, funky, and super juicy."

26. tsfinn23

tsfinn23 Initiate (149) Dec 31, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I can't compare the two because I haven't been to the beer store in a long time due to bad experiences. I would say the loft is a bit higher than other places around - I don't remember the specific price I paid for the two bottles last week.

27. JackHorzempa

Firstly, let me be clear that I personally do not disagree with your message here.

Stable 12 will continue to charge these prices as long as the Extreme Exuberance of contemporary craft beer consumer is willing to pay these sorts of prices. It seems like Tired Hands has 'set the bar' and the other SEPA craft breweries are following in suite?

Cheers!

ECdOc, jmdrpi and DrinkAnchorSteam like this.
  28. grimey68

grimey68 Disciple (381) Mar 16, 2013 Pennsylvania

Tired Hands is on an entirely different level in terms of beer compared to Stable 12. No way would I be willing to pay $18 a 4-pack of Stable 12 beer, when I can go to Tired Hands and get a vastly superior product.

Just my .02

corew likes this.
  29. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Maybe I have had my head in the ground but I work ten minutes from Phoenixville and have never even heard of Stable 12. If someone in the area is doing something of note then it generally reaches me but haven't heard a peep.

corew likes this.
  30. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Stickman, Tuned Up, Vault, Bar Hygge, Crime & Punishment, St. Benjamin, Stable 12, plus a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting.
    Those are the breweries I have yet to either go to or have anything from their distro. I know some of them are in the city and Vault is over in Yardley which is furthest from me but Stickman, Tuned Up and Stable 12 are like ten minutes from where I work. Any thoughts on those?

Two breweries that are fairly new that I have been to recently are Hidden River (cool spot with some killer beers, their Tree Tapping is one of the best brown ales I have ever had and their NE style ipas have been great), and La Cabra (great food, nice change of pace beer wise but nothing that really stood out to me in this market).

31. corew

Beer Trader

I'm curious which beer store you are referring to? The one in Malvern has always been exceptional and the people working there are always great!

It is because they aren't doing much of note TBH. You aren't too far that it isn't worth stopping in and deciding for yourself, but its esp not that great when you cant sit outside in their beer garden like in the summer months.

Saint Bens is a really cool little spot to go visit. I recommend it. Crime and Punishment is also worth visiting. While you are there, I recommend you go to the new near by Flying Fish Brewpub, I was pleasantly surprised by both the food, and the beers (don't think I ever really attempted to try any flying fish.) Stickman you also need to visit...

makalarch likes this.
  32. JackHorzempa

I have only had one Stable 12 beer and it was a sample pour at the recent Kennett Square Beer Festival. It was an IPA and for my palate it was very good. This is the only 'peep' I can provide to you.

Cheers!

makalarch likes this.
  33. Mbo108

Mbo108 Aspirant (207) Dec 3, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I've had 3 beers from Stable 12. The IPA I had was okay. Cant remember the name. I thought the Black IPA was atcually pretty tasty. And then the Bourbon Imperial Pumpkin Russian Stout. Yes, that was all one thing. Yes, it was the worst beer I ever tasted. I've heard they hired a new brewer recently though, and these were all before that happened, so maybe its on the upswing.

Stickman is really solid. Great spot in Rofo.

corew likes this.
  34. jmdrpi

Subscriber

I have limited experience with their beers. I had an IPA of theirs at a brewfest soon after they first opened in 2015. It was average.

I then had a couple beers at the brewery this summer (August 2016). The session IPA was meh. The bourbon barreled barleywine was quite good. The outdoor beer garden was nice spot to hang out on a summer night.

Based on their website, their Head Brewer now is a guy who was previously with Sly Fox. I don't know when he was hired, but when Stable 12 first opened, they played up the "we're homebrewers with no professional experience" as if it was a good thing, and a different guy was listed as being the Brewmaster.

35. corew

Beer Trader

I was just thinking this myself. They really pushed the "Golly we're just a couple o' guys who started in a stable" thing so I find it weird almost barely around a year being open that they would replace the brewer..

36. jmdrpi

Subscriber

See my other comment for thoughts on Stable 12.

Stickman - I have been twice. Back in the summer they had mostly farmhouse and wild ales that I wasn't too crazy about (I am typically not a fan of those styles), but they had an excellent Porter. Last weekend I stopped their after dinner for a few beers and I had a stout and an IPA and I liked both. They seemed to have brightened the place up a bit (last time it was really dark), and they have real dart boards and board games to play with friends as you hang out.

Bar Hygge is a good stop if you are down in the city to visit the Art Museum or Eastern State Penitentiary, it's on Fairmount Ave. Owned by the same people as Earth Bread + Brewery. Similar funky casual vibe. The beers were all fairly unique, the 2 beers I had were a DIPA and an Adambier, both good.

Saint Benjamin, I've only had one of their beers on tap at a bar in the city so not much of an opinion yet.

37. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Yes, I think so. I think it's a case of "a rising tide lifts of boats". Even if other local breweries beers aren't equal in quality, they see the prices that people are willing to stand in line for. If people are willing to, why would they not push the envelope?

It seems at least some customers aren't savvy enough to realize that the quality isn't any better than lower priced beers in the store. Or that the breweries are falsely playing up the fact that there is a "limited" amount of these IPAs, even though there is no logical reason (ie. no years-long barrel aging process). If the beer was that great, they could brew the same recipe every week.

corew likes this.
  38. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (45) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

I went to La Cabra two weekends ago and their beer ranged from mediocre to downright bad. Their pilsner was one of the worst beers I've had period. Granted, I'm sure they're still working the kinks out in their new brew house, but wow, it was impressively bad.

grimey68 likes this.
  39. JackHorzempa

Was there something specific about the Pilsner that provided offense to you?

Cheers!

40. grimey68

grimey68 Disciple (381) Mar 16, 2013 Pennsylvania

agreed completely. I went there their opening week and thought the same thing. I won't be going back until I hear good things - hopefully it happens.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe