Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates (2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jmdrpi, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (489) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I only have recently been to The Beer Store in Philadelphia. Being a Philly resident I expect to pay higher prices when buying beer anyway so I guess that dulls the sticker shock a bit to begin with.

2. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania

In the latest BA Mag there is a blurb that says "out-of-state retailers can ship beer directly to consumers" in PA. Anyone find any information on this? Google just has old speculative articles.

3. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

Didn't find anything additional on this but if you go to like craftshack etc you can now choose PA as an option to ship which I know wasn't always the case.

4. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (79) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

My friend summed it up best by saying it tasted like cold piss.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,877) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, I have never drank cold piss (or warm piss for that matter) so needless to say I can't relate to that description.

Cheers!

6. yankeefan287

yankeefan287 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

Has anyone been able to find hardywood gingerbread stout in the kop/malvern/exton area this year? I know they had some infections and not as much was being released this year, but I am starting to see it pop up in places about an hour away from here.

Kyle19473 likes this.
  7. nixk

nixk Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2008 Pennsylvania

Bottle Room in Downingtown posted that they had it a few days ago along with bourbon barrel GBS.

8. corew

corew Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Pennsylvania

Did anyone go to the Stickman 1yr Anniversary Event?

9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,237) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

It must have been a good party, I saw from the picture on FB they had the Whiskeyhickon Boys playing.

10. jmdrpi

Society

I like Stickman's latest post:

11. corew

corew Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Pennsylvania

I also know they are planning to be in Wegmans/Wholefoods by mid year and to bottle much more..

12. jmdrpi

Society

Neshaminy Creek is having another release of Shape of Hops to Come this Thursday. I had some of the last batch, good stuff.

Adrena1ine and Dando274 like this.
  13. makalarch

Nice those hit my whole foods last time, have yet to pick them up.

14. jmdrpi

Society

Yeah I'm not sure about this batch hitting distribution, but probably. In the past I've always bought it from a store, never been to the brewery.

15. grimey68

grimey68 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 Pennsylvania

Anyone see any Lagunitas High West-ified Coffee Stout around the Philly burbs yet? Specifically, Malvern-Wayne-ish area?

16. makalarch

I've been asking week to week at the Devon Whole Foods and crickets. It's not like I show up every day checking shelves but like once a week or so haha.

17. singlespeed

singlespeed Disciple (320) Sep 17, 2005 Delaware
    Trader

I saw someone post a picture of a case from Kunda Beverage, in KoP. Good luck!

grimey68 likes this.
  18. jmdrpi

Society

Round Guys in Lansdale is currently selling three recently released beers. I had some of the previous batch of (Beat Pulsing), it was pretty good - nice hop flavor and aroma.

[​IMG]

19. makalarch

Oh man Round Guys I forgot all about them. How are they doing these days? Don't really live near Lansdale but have had a couple of their shelf beers.

20. JackHorzempa

Society

So the folks at Whole Foods provide zero feedback?

I had a conversation with a beer dude at Wegmans KoP yeasterday. I reminded him that another employee there told me two weeks ago that they would have this beer on 12/19 (yesterday) at the latest. This beer dude did speak to me but all that I heard him say was abba-dabba-jabba-wabba. Maybe saying nothing would be better?:confused:

Cheers!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet

21. makalarch

No they just said we don't know yet. They didn't ignore me, those guys are almost always pretty helpful and open when it comes to what is coming in and when.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

Society

For some reason the release date for High Westified is a big mystery for the Philly area.

I think that @Donco hit the nail on the head here when he posted: "Cause they're all weasels...".

The "they're" in the above quote is wholesalers.

Non-cheers to Origlio (and the other wholesalers)!!:slight_frown:

23. beer_me_phl

beer_me_phl Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

Just saw one six pack left at KOP Wegmans.

24. KOP_Beer_OUtlet

KOP_Beer_OUtlet Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

High Westified should be hitting the shelves this week...just spoke with wholesalers...I was told less than 200 cases came in to the area

25. JackHorzempa

Society

Joe, according to @TommyO81 the KoP Wegman received some even though the guy I spoke to yesterday (I actually had a conversation with two guys in the beer department) had zero knowledge of this occurring.

This is not personally directed at you, but this sort of stuff is extremely irritating.

I am with @Donco here, unfortunately.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

26. Donco

Donco Devotee (455) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Coincidentally, I spoke with the beer guy at KOP Wegman's yesterday and was told they were getting ONE CASE! Unbelievable.

27. Donco

It's quite amazing how much beers like the Bourbon County beers & stuff like the High Westified, show up all over the NYC area and barely are ever seen in metro Philly.

28. Donco

It recently became "lawful" in PA:confused:

29. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, at least you got a 'straight answer' vs. the abba-dabba-jabba-wabba I received.

I gotta admit after hearing the non-answer from the dude I was tempted to ask: "Look, are you willing to sell me this beer or not?" I did not ask this question but instead said something like: Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions".

Argh!!

Non-cheers to all of this nonsense.:slight_frown:

30. makalarch

I was just realizing that the only two places I buy beer outside of directly from the breweries are Wegman's of Collegeville or Whole Foods of Devon. Much different from the folks up in NYC and down in DC with their multitude of beer stores (other grocery stores with good selection). I have lived up here for a decade and stepped foot inside a general distributor twice?

31. makalarch

And Capone's, can't forget about Matt.

32. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, the good news is that starting on Jan. 14, 2017 you will be able to purchase 6-packs and single bottles from retail beer distributors. This is part of Pennsylvania's very, very slow process of 'reforming' PA alcohol laws.

Cheers!

33. jmdrpi

Society

Damn, that's an expensive way to drink beer. I stock up on my "everyday" beer by picking up cases (usually variety packs) at the beer distributors to supplement my homebrew. It's too pricey to buy everything by singles/six pack pricing.

34. jmdrpi

Society

They only package a few beers for distribution, most of the stuff I like more is draft only or the smaller runs of cans/bottles they do. They usually have a wide variety of styles on tap at the brewpub, and usually pretty solid. They just don't get much press since they don't brew just trendy IPAs.

I've reviewed 40+ of their beers, but the standouts to me of their rotating beers are their Debaser DIPA, a couple different Imperial Stouts (Amateur Hour and Russian Messenger), and Cyrano, which is one of the few Saisons ever that I've really liked.

35. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (221) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Possibly one of the worst... if not the worst brewery Ive ever been too.

36. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (489) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Haha see the post above yours...that's Beer Advocate for you.

Adrena1ine and zekeman17 like this.
  37. makalarch

That good huh?

Also yeah wasn't cheap but for 6 of those 10 years I lived on the same block as Monk's, so definitely not cheap haha.

Adrena1ine likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

Society

In all honesty I am not trying to cause a controversy here.

What exactly is you issue with Two Round Guys?

Cheers!

39. jmdrpi

Society

How many of their beers have you tried? I've never found any of them to be way off style or have brewing flaws.

40. makalarch

In other news looks like tomorrow is a double feature with Levante releasing their first can as well. Would love to hear what people think about the beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.