Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates (2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jmdrpi, Dec 13, 2016.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,271) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Well since 2 of those 4 are lagers, I would guess that they have a higher percentage of lager sales than any other local craft brewery (not counting Yuengling here).

Anyone know what the pecking order is of Victory's beers? I know Golden Monkey is their best selling brand, but I have no idea if HopDevil or Prima Pils would be the next highest.

Stoudts is probably in a similar range with 2/5 of their flagships being lagers plus other seasonal ones.

DonObiWan and drtth like this.
  2. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Some of us beer drinkers actually like some complementing malt flavor in hoppy beers. I'm not saying Phoenix and 113 are top examples, but to my taste buds, darker IPAs are more pleasant and easier drinking than bone-dry West Coast IPAs. And at the other end, some of the NE IPAs are just hop aroma and little else. I wish Nugget Nectar was a year-round beer.

I know your statement is hyperbole, but I still find it really stupid to call beers "malt bombs" where the hop aroma and bitterness are still clearly dominate over the mild kilned or caramel malt flavors.

Doppelbocks, brown ales, quads, english barleywines, porter. Those are malt dominated.

3. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (462) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Port City Brewing Co. out of Alexandria, VA has announced they will be distributing to SE PA, starting next week I believe.

This would be unremarkable except their porter is awesome. To me it is right in the sweet spot of roast, malt character, yeast esters, and alcohol content. I suspect their pale ales will sit around getting old like the hundreds of others that litter store shelves around here, but their porter is definitely a welcome addition. Seems like there just aren't that many good robust porters around, although I haven't exactly gone hunting for them. There's always Founders porter, but I like Port City's better.

DonObiWan and jmdrpi like this.
  4. makalarch

makalarch Disciple (318) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Wegmans Collegeville had Funk Silent Disco cans as well as plenty of things that once upon a time weren't "shelfies": Doom, The Abyss, The Dissident, Java Cask etc etc. Oh and pumpkins, plenty of pumpkins.

Kadonny and jmdrpi like this.
  5. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Thanks for the heads up, this definitely piques my interest.

Of the widely available ones I like Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Deschutes Black Butte, and Smuttynose. Locally, Yard's GW Tavern Porter.

DonObiWan and Spade like this.
  6. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,218) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

They might not "live" money wise on the lagers, my point was their reputation lies mostly with their german styles, and they are very proud of that.....sometimes too proud as I'd really like to see them do a new world style IPA. The Hop Project beers are very good IMO, I could even live with one of those year round.

That's the one I have not gotten to try yet, Silent Disco. I might have to swing by tonight and grab a sixer. Thanks.

jmdrpi and makalarch like this.
  7. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

To tag onto this Founders Porter, and the Black Butte Anny Series is one of my favorite porter treatments.

8. jmdrpi

Subscriber

I have only had via growler, but I was a fan.

My personal ranking: Silent Disco>Double Citrus>Citrus>Tumbleweed

Kadonny likes this.
  9. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Well, I liked Citrus better than Double Citrus which I liked better than Tumbleweed, so I hope I can get to try the Silent Disco. Thanks.

10. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (1,526) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Beer Trader

Came by to ask if anyone knows if Weyerbacher Dallas Sucks is going to be distributed or brewery only.

(I'll second that Yards Tavern Porter is a tasty local one.)

jmdrpi likes this.
  11. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

I have recently been informed about CJs up off the northeast extension. They currently have Abraxas and Sump available for crowler fills. Anyone have any thoughts about this place?

12. Beermaninpa

Beermaninpa Initiate (147) Apr 10, 2003 Pennsylvania

Cans are supposed to be released on Monday in the Philly market

thebeers likes this.
  13. jmdrpi

Subscriber

It is between my work and my house so I have shopped there for bottles occasionally and stopped by a few times on a weekend night to have a couple of beers and fill growlers before going to a BYOB restaurant. It is owned by the same people as Towamencin Beverage next door, and opened as a bottle shop and growler bar before the law changed that allowed distributors to sell less than a case. They have about a dozen taps for pints or growler fills, and they also offer crowlers. They have a wall of coolers with single bottles only, mostly 12 oz bottles and cans. All individually priced. Then few shelves of mostly barrel aged and specially release 22oz or 750ml bottles. They have a great selection but you pay for it. I buy much more beer next door in six packs and cases due to pricing. If you want to hang out there and drink, they serve hot dogs and soft pretzels. And if your significant other or friends don't drink beer they have self serve wine machines upstairs too.

makalarch likes this.
  14. jmdrpi

Subscriber

P.S.- special beers like that are really priced to drink on-site, not for growler fills. For example, Abraxas is $9 for a glass, but is $38 for a 32 oz growler. Where as a "normal" beer like Daisy Cutter is $5 for a pint or $18 for a 64 oz growler. Although that's still more than just buying cans next door which is what I would normally do.

makalarch likes this.
  15. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (218) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

From Rock Bottom's Facebook page. This hit me in the feels just a bit, many years' worth of memories there:

To The Friends and Family of Rock Bottom King of Prussia

And now, the end is near
    and so we face our final curtain
    Our friends, we'll say it clear
    and state our case, of which we’re certain
    We've lived a life that's full
    we've traveled each and every highway
    But more, much more than this
    We did it our way

Come and join us for our final night, September 9th, as we say good bye to our local hang out/home away from home. We will be serving our regular menu through 4:30PM with a last call for the bar at 5:30PM.

At 6PM we will be starting the evening’s festivities with music provided by DJ Phish, $5 drinks, and a buffet of all your favorites including quesadillas, chorizo bites, wings, and Mac and Cheese.

$10 cover at the door will be donated to Down and Out Delta Paws and all other proceeds for the night will be split between them and Elmwood Park Zoo.

Those interested in taking home a piece of the Rock will have the opportunity to bid in a silent auction on many of the sports and Rock Bottom memorabilia that have adorned our walls.

We hope to see you all out for this final farewell to Rock Bottom King of Prussia!

16. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Wait, what? Weyerbacher makes a Dallas Sucks beer? My new favorite brewery ever.

17. GoldenWort

GoldenWort Initiate (127) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania

My beer drinking partner just showed up with a sixer... waiting for it to chill.... i don't care what it tastes like.... I LIKE IT!!!!

18. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Totally!

tobelerone, drtth and thebeers like this.
  19. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (1,526) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Beer Trader

Just went to one place looking for it, and they didn't have it. Did pick up a couple Oktoberfests I hadn't had yet this year, so it's all good. Go birds!

Kadonny and makalarch like this.
  20. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,097) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

thebeers likes this.
  21. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (246) Jan 16, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

thebeers, HoppingMadMonk and drtth like this.
  22. 1ll_3quipt

1ll_3quipt Initiate (110) Aug 31, 2017 Pennsylvania

:rofl:
    Let's not confuse variety packs & shelf turds with great beer :rofl::rofl::rofl:

23. 1ll_3quipt

1ll_3quipt Initiate (110) Aug 31, 2017 Pennsylvania

The single cut thread is hilarious, New Yorkers complaining that craft beer is so expensive :grin:

24. InsuranceGuy

InsuranceGuy Aspirant (267) Nov 9, 2011 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Had Silent Disco over the weekend, it was great. Not to rehash an old conversation, but this was by far the best NEIPA I have grabbed off of a shelf.

25. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Ah damn, I didn't get to find any on Friday. Anyone see any locally in the KOP area?

26. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah was all out today at the Collegeville Wegmans.

Kadonny likes this.
  27. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Thanks, my main man at Exton Beverage has a 4 pack for me, thank god for him.

28. valterlaw

valterlaw Initiate (113) Jul 13, 2017 Pennsylvania

Back to the porter discussion for a second...still think the porter is the gem of Sierra Nevada's standard arsenal.

jmdrpi likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,976) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Is Sierra Nevada Porter available at your local beer retailer?

Cheers!

30. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

Were we talking about Stickman here? Just had another Send in the Clowns and damn that beer is great. Can't say I pick out any of the adjuncts specifically right now but the combination really works.

Kadonny likes this.
  31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (984) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Porters.. Founders Porter along with Deschutes Black Butte are the best, both are sublime.

ESHBG and makalarch like this.
  32. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (462) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

I found Black Butte to be very average. Didn't live up to its rep at all, for me. Founders and Smutty are the gold standard robust porters.

33. khainsey94

khainsey94 Initiate (8) Feb 19, 2016 Pennsylvania

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald is by far one of my favorite porters

DonObiWan, ESHBG and zekeman17 like this.
  34. organicbrewer

organicbrewer Disciple (380) Aug 6, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Industry

Two Rivers Brewing in Easton releasing their GABF gold medal winning saison Thursday at 11am.
    From 2RB facebook page:

Big day tomorrow, Six Fingers Sam bottle and draft release! This years release of our 2016 GABF gold medal winning saison. Six Fingers Sam is a saison aged in freshly dumped chardonnay barrels with multiple strains of Brettanomyces. $18 each with a 6 bottle per person limit. Only 220 bottles are available of this run.

[​IMG]

thebeers likes this.
  35. Donco

Donco Devotee (477) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The fact that this Wegman's is a mere 2 miles from my house is dangerous!

36. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Saw they still list it under packaged goods, might pick some up. Thanks.

makalarch likes this.
  37. makalarch

Subscriber Beer Trader

I would agree with this but I have been impressed with their imperial anniversary version most years and i like that we get a healthy allotment of that every year.

38. Beav42

Beav42 Initiate (133) Sep 13, 2007 Pennsylvania

Agreed on Edmund Fitzgerald. Used to really enjoy Duke of Winship by Middle Ages out of Syracuse. Not sure if they still come into PA or not

39. jmdrpi

Subscriber

Bummer that this is brewery-only. Rugged Trail was the first beer that made me a fan of Troegs back in the day.

ESHBG, Spade, RutgersBeerGuy and 4 others like this.
  40. jmdrpi

Subscriber

And to circle back to the Sly Fox discussion - their annual Oktoberfest Lager is out

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.