Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates, etc. (2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jmdrpi, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (75) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

MOSS MILL, the latest mediocre SE PA brewery is having their first crowler release tomorrow! They're tired of the haze craze and have the solution!!!

“Tired of the Hazy IPA Craze…well so are we. PA BRUT is the Antithesis of the Milkshake IPA trend that’s taking the beer world by storm. Clear, Pale, Dry, and aromatic, PA BRUT starts with a heavy citrus taste and ends with a bond-dry finish that will leave you wanting more.”

2. birdonthewire

birdonthewire Initiate (64) Jul 28, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

We got a shipment of Vault 5C today. Both cases were canned on 04/02/18. Disappointing they aren't as fresh as they should be.

3. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,068) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

That is the paradox of entering the Distribution game. You fail if you sell out and nothing is left in stock and you are doomed to fail in the long run if you don't sell out and can't replace the perishable beer at a steady pace.

4. makalarch

makalarch Aspirant (259) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

5. makalarch

Beer Trader

Disregard, a whole thread has started up around this.

6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,912) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

So some guys in the Philly burbs got busted selling homebrew online. Facing misdemeanor charges.
    http://www.phillyvoice.com/three-suburban-men-charged-illegally-selling-homebrew-online/

@William_Navidson @makalarch we were having a discussion recently in one of the monthly Tired Hands threads about the legal risk of beer re-selling when raised by @FabreezyNHops . So it looks like the law is indeed willing to go after individual sellers at least when it comes to homebrew.

**Edit - looks like BA filters that website being mentioned even in quotes. If you click the article you'll see it. I believe it's the one most beer re-sellers use as I've seen it mentioned before.

7. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (198) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It wasn't homebrew, I'm assuming that's just sloppy reporting. And yeah, think this has happened twice now in the past few months, both originating from MBC.

8. jmdrpi

So it was re-selling bottles/cans from breweries? I couldn't find any other articles or any press release from the state.

9. William_Navidson

Beer Trader

Yeah.

10. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (75) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

They were probably trying to sell a Crooked Eye bottle. Can understand why a reporter would mistake it for homebrew.

jmdrpi and TomFoley like this.
  11. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,486) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That's awesome. As soon as I looked at the site I knew there had to be something illegal about it. You can't just sell beer without a distribution license. And the fact that the reporter got it wrong is just depressing. Journalism really is failing these days.

12. jmdrpi

While google searching for more info, I saw another article that last September PA State Police charged a guy from Massachusetts as well:
    And another news article about West Chester students charging money for beer at parties had a blurb about the potential penalties of selling alcohol without a license. The link that article had to the Liquor Code was broken, and I can't seem to find that actual language myself.

13. William_Navidson

Beer Trader

Yes, beyond the (1) most current incident and (2) the Mass incident, there was also the PA guy who was caught selling on MBC. He was also "muling" Other Half releases and when the police executed a search warrant on him home they found the various shipping labels. The to-be-recipients on the labels all got letters from the PLCB (vague warnings).

Obviously there are risks, but it still seems like something people do with near-impunity, especially if (a) they're not from PA or (b) they're not using MBC.

14. Houser

Houser Defender (651) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

15. NeroFiddled

Beer Trader

Does anyone have a list of upcoming beer fests, or know where one is? I can wade through the events pages but I'd rather not. Also, we've got Philly Beer Week coming up but I haven't seen a new thread for it yet.

16. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Devotee (410) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

http://www.phillylovesbeer.org/all-events/

Philly Loves Beer

17. NeroFiddled

Beer Trader

Yeah, I'm weeding through that now. I haven't found anything good yet except for Johnny Brenda's "It's a Firkin Riot!", although I did come across Love City which I haven't been to yet. I might stop by there on my way home tonight.

18. jmdrpi

Another update:

Spade likes this.
  19. jmdrpi

I drank cans of both Chasing the Dragon and their Vienna Lager last night. At 11.2% abv, Chasing the Dragon is still an old-school very bitter, boozy, and resinous DIPA. Very nice aroma, but anyone looking for the currently popular "juicy" IPAs would be sorely disappointed.

It was the first time I had their Vienna Lager and I was impressed. Just as good as Neshaminy Creek's Churchville Lager, both beers I think are underscored here on BA. Fans of this style should give it a try.
    [​IMG]

20. NeroFiddled

Beer Trader

Free Will's packaging sucks. That label is so average and boring while their beers are anything but.

Also, I don't think you can call "Chasing the Dragon" an "old-school IPA" at 11.2% abv - that's a different beast!!! But I get what you meant.

makalarch likes this.
  21. jmdrpi

The Vienna Lager label is yes boring like the new Techno and Kragle labels. But I like the COB one and some of the other limited beers.

What I meant is that Chasing the Dragon has much more in common with a classic bitter Double IPA like DFH 90 Min or Pliny the Elder than any New England style IPA.

22. NeroFiddled

Beer Trader

So you agree, but on a scale of 1 to 10 for their other labels how would you rate them? COB is OK in my opinion, but nothing special. And their basic beer labels suck. Time to hire a graphic designer, wouldn't you agree? They're paying for the label, it might as well work to sell the beer, right? Seriously, their beers are too good to have crap labels, which is what they have. Or does it matter? Is this a case of "if you build it they will come"?

Adrena1ine and schteve like this.
  23. William_Navidson

Beer Trader

Free Will's branding looks like it belongs on a shelf at Costco or Target. I can think of more egregiously bad labels that stick out, but their labels definitely aren't helping their product which is mostly good.

Dando274 and Chroma914 like this.
  24. jmdrpi

The "text only" ones are boring, and the Comic Sans font could go. I don't know why they abandoned the old Techno design that had the backbone and the hop cones.

But the 16 oz cans with art have a consistent look, so I'd say 6 or 7:
    https://www.freewillbrewing.com/ipas
    https://www.freewillbrewing.com/other

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. jmdrpi

Appearently there is a brewery that is well into construction in Skippack that will be called Broker Brewing. The description has the normal red flags (homebrewers jumping into a 15 barrel system), but Skippack is known for its high end shops and restaurants so there should be some built in customers just from the location. It's not off in some industrial park sounds like it's at the corner of Route 113 and Route 73.

https://www.thetowndish.com/news/2018/skippack-broker-brewing-co/#.WwJZRTzkeJs.facebook

Kadonny, zekeman17 and NodEast like this.
  26. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (220) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

The Vienna Lager is excellent imo.

jmdrpi and ESHBG like this.
  27. makalarch

Beer Trader

Interesting, I work 15 minutes from there, hope at least some of these new spots open a little earlier than after work. Would love to just drive over to Stickman during lunch and pick up some cans then as it is a hassle after work.

28. makalarch

Beer Trader

Read through the description of their beers from that article, it's getting hard to differentiate these days isn't it?

jmdrpi likes this.
  29. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,260) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Interesting. I grew up on that street corner before it became a real corner, back then it was a cow pasture corner....now it's a brewery. How times change. There is no doubt now that the Skippack area is Yuppie central, so they should have a decent crowd if they make good beer.

30. TomFoley

and even if they don't

jmdrpi likes this.
  31. makalarch

Beer Trader

Picked up Follow the Gull from Cape May Brewing the other day at Wegmans, great pale ale (forget about the label if it's 5.5% it's a pale ale. Also the KOP Wegmans randomly had Bourbon County in their cooler?

jmdrpi likes this.
  32. NeroFiddled

Beer Trader

Wegman's Collegeville had a stack of Bourbon County on a rolling rack with a sign that said "take all you want" and the price below. I've also seen stacks of it at other places. Looks like the gild is off the lily. All of the places that ordered as much as they could get because they thought they could still screw the customer for an extra $5 are out of luck.

Kadonny likes this.
  33. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,260) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Honestly? I've said this before, the bourbon barrel everything has jumped the shark.

NodEast likes this.
  34. kdb150

kdb150 Zealot (505) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

This isn't the first year regular BCBS has become a shelf turd.

I always wonder who the market is for mass quantities of a super expensive 15% stout. It's far too expensive and inefficient for alcoholics, and it's way too boozy and cloying for beer enthusiasts to drink on the reg.

ESHBG likes this.
  35. TomFoley

one of my locals recently had the barleywine on draft, it was exquisite.

jmdrpi and thebeers like this.
  36. jmdrpi

37. jmdrpi

Maybe more was just released? It seems like another round of KBS just hit the shelves as well. CJ's Doghouse in Lansdale just posted this the other day:

38. jmdrpi

Reading the article I thought it was the empty gas station right on the South corner of that intersection. But I looked up the actual street address and it's not - it's the location between the Wawa and the Italian Market. Still a highly visible spot.

Kadonny likes this.
  39. makalarch

Beer Trader

Oh man that Abyss in the picture, they can't give that beer away, has sat on the shelves here for over a year. If they ordered too much Bourbon County I think it's smart of them to put it out every now and then, keeps the idea that there are limited amounts etc instead of the aforementioned Abyss basically looking like a terrible beer (which it's not) since cases just sit on the floor for months and months.

jmdrpi likes this.
  40. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (265) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Ah no problem at all, I deleted mine because I saw that there is a separate thread for it now too.