Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates, etc. (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jmdrpi, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,360) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So, when was the recipe change? I'd like to try the new stuff, but sort of need a date to check on packaging to make sure I have the "new" Prima. @rotsaruch ?

NodEast and hillind like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,152) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Keith, I do not know the answer to your question. Hopefully Richard will respond.

Cheers!

Kadonny likes this.
  3. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (951) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

4. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (274) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This is really interesting, as I just worked my way through a six pack of Prima (with the old label) and was at Downingtown with my Dad on Friday and had a sip of his Prima and had noticed that it did taste a little different, even hoppier maybe but yet slightly less bitter/dry? The hoppy smell was definitely there. I had no idea about this change so I wasn't paying much attention and chalked it up to draft vs bottle.

On a related note not a big fan of the new labels and I will have to look closer next time I see it but I think Prima's was changed again and it says "A hoppy Lager" on it now, at least on the bottles.

5. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (59) May 2, 2015 Pennsylvania

Excited to see Industrial Arts start distributing to SEPA (Lehigh Valley particularly). Saw the price for Wrench was $16 at one of my regular spots; was hoping it would be a few bucks less than

bl00 likes this.
  6. Kadonny

Trader

@JackHorzempa how are the pilsners from the new local guys? I have not gotten a chance to try Workhorse, Stable 12, Levante, Root Down etc. Have you had many of them? I need a good pils for my spring keg and am thinking going with a new guy Rather then doing the staples of Sunshine or Pikeland.

7. JackHorzempa

Society

I do not have experience with all of these breweries but:
    • I think the Pilsner from Workhorse is pretty good. The 'highlight' for me of Workhorse is their Marzen, that beer for my palate is OUTSTANDING!!
    • The Root Down Pilsner is my favorite of the year-round Pilsners in the area.
    I have not had any lagers (Pilsners) from Levante or Stable 12 so I have no comment here.

I have my fingers crossed that maybe Sly Fox will be brewing their Tettnang Keller Pils shortly. IMO that beer is OUTSTANDING and the very best of the locally brewed Pilsners. I have lobbied both JP and Ray (bartenders at the Sly Fox Phoenixville brewpub) many, many times that Sly Fox should make this a year-round beer (at least on tap at the brewpub). They always politely nod and say something like "We hear that a lot" but....

I will be attending the Sly Fox Bock Fest this weekend. How about you?

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

8. Kadonny

Trader

Thanks Jack, appreciate the opinion.

Yes, I plan to attend the goat races this year, maybe we can exchange numbers and finally meet, that would be awesome.

9. PABrewReview

PABrewReview Initiate (135) Apr 30, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Workhorse makes a good pils, though I prefer their Vienna Lager. Also don't overlook Stickman for a great pils.

Kadonny likes this.
  10. rotsaruch

rotsaruch Aspirant (283) Jun 18, 2002 Pennsylvania

Jack and Keith, WRT the reformulation of Pima Pils, Ron informed me it was planned to release the new version by the beginning of April, while cans and bottles "drink by date" will state by August 2019. While Ron won't say definitively what brewing changes were made, he did allude to achieve a more assertive hop aroma and flavor profile which he felt needed to be improved.

I've tasted the latest new version and to me both the aroma and taste is more noticeably hopper, like the original Prima or a real German style Pilsner. IMO, until the most recent change to Prima, I thought it was more reminiscent of a Czech style pilsner or more like Hip Czech available from Victory.

But of all the pilsner style brews that Victory brews, the best and my primary go to brew has been and continues to be the keller style Braumeister Pils. Most recently was the Tet Tet Pils (I.e., Tetnanger hops grown in Tetnang Region of Germany).

11. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup, that beer is excellent . I had two pints of Braumeister Pils at the Victory Beer Hall in South Philly after the Phillies game last Sunday. A complete game win by Zach Eflin and afterwards two pints of tasty Victory Prima Pils - a great day!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

NodEast, ESHBG and Kadonny like this.
  12. ESHBG

Ah okay so it sounds as if my experience was right on the money then. I will keep an eye out for these, will be interesting to see what I think.

And I agree with you both, that Pils is great!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  13. ESHBG

@khainsey94 @JackHorzempa @rotsaruch

I recently picked up a sixer of the new Prima Pils and have had two bottles so far and I really enjoyed it, it's more balanced IMO and hits all of the right notes for me...I enjoyed the older version but do prefer this one. The sixer pack now says 43 IBU, my bottles were enjoy by 02 October 2019.

14. JackHorzempa

Society

So, Victory is now using a 6 month best by duration for this beer?:confused:

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

ESHBG likes this.
  15. ESHBG

Yeah I was wondering this as well and the other sixers mixed in with this one had an EB date of early September, I think it was the 9th.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

I have some less than good feelings about Victory expanding their best by durations.:grimacing:

Did they implement some technological improvements in the brewery for this change?

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

17. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (443) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Prima Pils most definitely does not have a 6 month shelf life.

18. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (169) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

Unless they started pasteurizing

19. JackHorzempa

Society

AB pasteurizes their bottled/canned beers of Bud/Bud Light and they use a best by duration of 110 days (3.7 months) for those beers.

Cheers!

P.S. FWIW I have the opinion that when it comes to QC/QA the practices of AB are the best in the beer industry.

AlcahueteJ and NeroFiddled like this.
  20. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (169) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

I was joking about the pasteurizing, but was surprised to see ABs best by is 110 days. Pretty impressive

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  21. ESHBG

I gave Victory No Brainer another shot and glad that I did, really enjoyed this beer and it is a nice cross between an IPA and a Pils to me.

22. JackHorzempa

Society

I had a draft pint at a Phillies game a week+ ago. I thought it was an OK beer. It will not be a repeat purchase for me.

SPOILER ALERT: I will be discussing the 'new' Prima Pils in this weeks New Beer Sunday thread.

Cheers!

23. Kadonny

Trader

Where did you find it Jack? I'd like to try it.

24. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,035) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

That's exactly why I didn't really like No Brainer, I kept feeling like it was half of each instead of being a whole beer on it's own. The Pilsner malt was a real distraction in an otherwise "IPA". That's not to say I couldn't get used to it, but at the same time I think I'll always just prefer a hoppy Pilsner (Prima Pils) or a straightforward IPA - I'm just too old and set in my ways.

ESHBG and jmdrpi like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

Keith, I purchased a 6-pack at my local (KoP) Wegmans last Sunday.

Cheers!

drtth and Kadonny like this.
  26. ESHBG

I feel ya, not something I am going to purchase often either but I definitely did enjoy it more the second time around; it would probably be a good starter IPA for someone just getting into them.

Yep same as Jack and I got mine at Wegman's also.

@JackHorzempa I am really looking forward to your Prima Pils review!

Kadonny likes this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

I will tag you (and Keith) on my post.

Cheers!

Kadonny and ESHBG like this.
  28. Houser

Houser Defender (619) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Me too!

PA-Michigander, NodEast and zekeman17 like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

Why not! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

NodEast and Houser like this.
  30. Kadonny

Trader

Thanks @JackHorzempa and others, I'll check my Malvern Wegmans today and see if they have any. Any packaging markings to tell me I have the new formulation?

31. JackHorzempa

Society

My bottle listed: "ENJOY BY 02 OCT 2019".

Cheers!

NodEast and Kadonny like this.
  32. ESHBG

Look for the brand new labels and anything with an EB date of at least August (but I would suggest going with September or October just to be really sure and to get it as fresh as possible).

Kadonny likes this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Society

Yeah, that would be an easy way.

My bottle has this label:

[​IMG]

bl00, Kadonny and ESHBG like this.
  34. Kadonny

Trader

Got a six pack of bottles dated 10/2/2019 (same date as @JackHorzempa) with new labels yesterday, thanks for the info. I'll be trying one tonight.

bl00, ESHBG and JackHorzempa like this.
  35. JackHorzempa

Society

And you will be reading my thoughts about this 'new' beer on Sunday (New Beer Sunday).

I have already consumed two bottles of my 6-pack.:flushed:

Cheers!

bl00, ESHBG and Kadonny like this.
  36. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (93) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Went to a new spot in Dresher, PA (think in between Ambler and Willow Grove) called Track 3 last Friday.

Pretty cool concept here, a microbrewery and coffeehouse. 5 beers on tap, and a decent number of coffee options, typical of what you'd find at a local coffee shop. I had the full flight of beers there - 2 NEIPAs, a coffee IPA, wit, and stout. All of the beers were passable at best. Granted, they've only been open for around a month or so, but there was nothing I tasted from the beer flight that would make me want to come back anytime soon. However, the nitro cold brew coffee was excellent, the space was cool, and the people running the place was nice. Hopefully, the longer they remain open, they can dial their beers in a bit more, as I'd like to return at some point.

37. rotsaruch

rotsaruch Aspirant (283) Jun 18, 2002 Pennsylvania

It sounds very similar to Stolen Sun brewpub and coffee house in Exton. The beers are pretty solid and the variety of roasted coffees are pretty tasty. Haven't eaten there yet, but heard the chow is good as well. The only real negative is everything is pretty pricey.

38. PABrewReview

PABrewReview Initiate (135) Apr 30, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yeah it seems to be a bit of a trend lately. Steel City coffeehouse in Phoenixville added a brewery earlier this year.

39. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,035) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

There's another brewery/music venue in planning right down the street, but get this, they're not really planning to brew there, they want to brew the minimum that allows them the G brewing license so that they can then sell other PA liquors, beers, and wines. If that's the option to paying for a PA "R" license I guess that makes sense, but then you have another brewery that's not really a brewery.

trancecylist and PABrewReview like this.