Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates, etc. (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jmdrpi, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,330) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You really think so? The IPAs I've had from them have been good, but not TH good. What's your favorite IPA Levante does?

2. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,225) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Cloudy and Cumbersome has some a long way since it was first brewed but the ones I have been most impressed have been the glitter parts/tickle parts.

Kadonny likes this.
  3. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,330) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I’ll have to try them again. I had Tickle Parts like a year plus ago and thought it was ok, not great. C&C it’s been a few years for me.

4. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,243) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yep, I got myself confused. So many places opening I can’t keep them all straight. Thanks for clarifying

cyraxx likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,910) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

FWIW I am with your here - there are a crazy number of small, local breweries opening up in the area.

Cheers!

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,627) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Does anyone have any idea what hours Imprint might or might not have on Saturdays? Is it sporadic? Nothing on their website. And is it worth it?

Also, opinions on Bald Birds, Brothers Kerschner, Blueprint, Ten7, and Tannery Run?

7. rotsaruch

rotsaruch Aspirant (273) Jun 18, 2002 Pennsylvania

I always thought C&C should really been considered a pale hazy ale since it's only has an alcohol content of 5.6%.

8. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (91) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Imprint is open 12-9 (or maybe 10) on Saturdays. I guess it's worth a stop. I find them incredibly overrated and hit or miss. Their sours, while heavily fruited and sweet, are pretty damn good if you're into that sort of thing. Their hazy IPAs can be pretty solid, but most of what I've had from them in that area have had this really harsh finish that just turns me off. Their stouts, while they mostly nail the flavor of what they're advertised as, are pretty thin in the mouthfeel department. I did really enjoy the peach swirl IPA they released in cans a month or so back, it was delicious and well worth the asking price.

I get the feeling that Imprint built up a ton of hype early on doing some quality stuff on a super small batch system, but have stumbled as they scaled up. They're nowhere near the quality of Tired Hands, Hidden River, Forest and Main, etc.

jmdrpi, NodEast and Hopznbuds like this.
  9. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (205) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Liked Brothers Kerschner and Blueprint, cool places, solid beers, but I haven't been back to either in several months.
    Not a fan of Imprint, but Chroma gave a better review than I could.
    Have not been to Tannery Run nor Ten 7.
    I was real impressed with Bald Birds when they first opened. Lot of different styles, nothing was poorly made. Stopped in 2 months ago and it was 8 IPAs and a stout. Read through the menu twice to be sure what I was seeing, and went to Stickman.

If you have not been to Well Crafted yet, definitely check that place out.

jmdrpi likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

Society

It appears that they are responding to customer demands?

There is an ongoing thread entitled "Pilsner Hate" started by a craft beer owner in Hazelton where he stated (with emphasis in bold by me:

"I actually have Krombacher dedicated and it does move. Most of my miller drinkers or real beer lovers drink a ton of it. Unfortunately most of the modern craft beer crowd only like juice bombs."

I am starting to have more respect for Workhorse Brewing for producing 'traditional' beers but.... I just went to their website to 'discover' they have 5 American hoppy beers on tap (of 11 taps). In another 6 months will they be mostly serving hoppy beers?:confused:

Cheers!

jmdrpi likes this.
  11. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Good to know; disappointing to know.

12. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Haha, I went to Burd's Nest in Carlisle, PA and it was the same thing... 7 IPAs and a blonde. It looks like they've got some variety now though. Also, I have been to Well Crafted and was impressed - that's saying something for a jaded old bastard like myself!

Kadonny likes this.
  13. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

If they are it's probably the smart thing to do (throw in a sour as well). You gotta either stick to your guns tightly and risk losing the market, or go with the flow where the money is. Let's not forget that long ago Bell's (Kalamazoo) basically only brewed dark beers. In the end that didn't work out, but now we've got a lot of other great beers from them.

14. JA_26

JA_26 Initiate (82) Feb 4, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'd give Imprint another chance. I've had one IPA there that had the harsh finish Chroma mentioned, but the others I've had have ranged from decent to amazing, including the peach, lychee and coconut Swirls. Also, if friends count, Imprint has a pretty impressive list of breweries coming to its Haze It Forward charity event later this month. I agree Imprint is not close to Tired Hands quality yet, but they are churning out some really good beers, and I've enjoyed the times I've spent there.

William_Navidson likes this.
  15. TomFoley

not this customer.

ericwo, Spade, breslinp and 1 other person like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

Tom, unfortunately it looks like you and I (and Jim?) are dinosaurs?:slight_frown:

I am hoping that the Haze Craze (and other extreme beers) is on the down slope which would mean more tap space for non-extreme beers. In some areas I see signs of this happening but we are not quite 'there' yet.

Cheers!

ericwo likes this.
  17. TomFoley

I am a dinosaur, and proud of it.

I plan to leave big footprints.

18. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (713) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Tannery Run was decent, nothing that really made an impression on me, but decent.
    Their bar is really cool and the owner was a nice guy.
    Plus side is that if you don't find something you like, Forest and Main is walking distance.

JA_26 likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

Tom, what you need is one of these costumes!

Cheers!

P.S. Maybe you could put your shotgun away and just wear this costume at Hidden River to scare the customers away!?!:thinking_face:

20. TomFoley

nah, shotgun is more effective.

21. Donco

Donco Devotee (442) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Distro on this has been very poor (very little quantity going to any one outlet) & very pricey. I wanted to try a can but it's been MIA in the places I usually find my beers.

thebeers likes this.
  22. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,917) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

They have ours listed on their Instagram page:
    Hours: Friday 5 PM - 10 PM Saturday 12 PM - 10 PM Sunday 12 PM - 5 PM

I for the most part agree with @Chroma914 on their beer. It's all pricey (5oz or 10oz pours), of nothing but fruited kettle sours, hazy IPAs, and "pastry" stouts. The homebrewed stuff they were serving at beer fests before they opened was better, and is what got them their reputation.

They have also gone all-in with the "beer that's not really beer" concept, with beer-based slushies:

23. jmdrpi

Society

Bald Birds is a cool spot, they have a bunch of old arcade games that you can play for free. All the beers I tried were solid. I was there about 3 weeks ago and it was a fairly diverse tap list.

Looks like right now:
    English Mild, Golden Ale, Pale Ale, Grisette, Irish Stout, Pale Ale, DIPA, Brown Ale, NEIPA, IPA.

I agree that Well Crafted is probably making the best beer in Lansdale, compared to Ten7, Round Guys, and McAllisters. Their limited food menu is pretty good, and they probably have the nicest space.

Brothers Kershner - I've been twice and not had a bad beer, but not had a beer I'd call great either.

Blueprint - I wish it was better since it's about a mile from my house. Their lagers and dark beers are solid, and their Red IPA and Black IPA are good. But all their pale hoppy beers have been very lacking in hop aroma/flavor.

24. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Bald Birds is a cool spot, they have a bunch of old arcade games that you can play for free.
    ~ ~ ~ Awesome. Even better if they have Defender or Galaga!

I agree that Well Crafted is probably making the best beer in Lansdale, compared to Ten7, Round Guys, and McAllisters.
    ~ ~ ~ As do I.

Brothers Kershner - I've been twice and not had a bad beer, but not had a beer I'd call great either. ~ ~ ~ Yeah, there's a lot of that going on, but I don't need "great" beer, just good beer. (i.e. McAllisters just made it across the "good" line except for their brown which I enjoyed quite a bit).

Blueprint - ...But all their pale hoppy beers have been very lacking in hop aroma/flavor.
    ~ ~ ~ Well that's really disappointing. I personally know of a brewery (which will go un-named) that's just like that. It seems that they're trying to reign in costs by cutting back on hops. That makes sense as hops are the most expensive ingredient in beer, but you can't do it with American pale ales and any IPAs - it'd be better to make a quality beer or just charge a higher price. Making a boring IPA only hurts their reputation.

25. rolltide8425

Trader

Imprint usually posts their weekend tap list on Friday morning. They're my wife's favorite brewery; she's all in on the haze craze. They are adding Thursday hours starting next week. Went to Blueprint shortly after they opened and wasn't impressed, but I have heard they've improved. I also agree that Well Crafted has the best beer in Lansdale, followed by Ten7.

26. rolltide8425

Trader

They weren't sure it was going to make distro at all originally because they made so little of it.

27. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (133) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Weighing in on Imprint: I completely believe the assessment that they're "stumbling" with some growing pains after gaining some early hype (both in terms of beer quality and in terms of managing demand), but I've had some very good cans from them. I've had a sour crowler from them that left a little to be desired; but their IPA cans have been anywhere from good to great. Every time I've been there they've been fairly busy, and they're gaining a decent cult following. Wish they had a better location than the usual "brewery in an industrial park" vibe, but the beer is worth it.

28. rotsaruch

rotsaruch Aspirant (273) Jun 18, 2002 Pennsylvania

Jack, Tom & Jim, I continue to be a determined dinosaur in search of Lager Land and well crafted Lager style brews. I must admit, the search is difficult, but there are small tangible signs that lagers are getting some love especially from some of the new start-up breweries. Costumer and/or investor demand will dictate style preference, but hopefully a balanced style selection will exist. I always find it really fascinating and refreshing that brewers I really respect really love their lagers, especially pilsner style brews. Like Ron & Bill at Victory, Brian at Mainstay (Sly Fox), Jean at Tired Hands, Mike at Root Down and Kevin at Love City are among some the best brewers in the Philly region, but they all really know how to brew a great Lager style brew since they love to drink it. And thank God, it will always be on tap, or available in bottles or cans!!

29. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (91) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Love City Lager was probably the most surprising beer I've had from the Philly area in years. Perfect, perfect beer.

NeroFiddled likes this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Society

Richard, we are fortunate that there are several breweries in our area that produce high quality lagers. To your list I would add Double Nickle, Neshaminy Creek, Saint Benjamins,...

When it comes to other beer styles where balance is a key aspect vs. 'extremeness' (e.g., 'NEIPA', Pastry Stouts, Imperial Stouts,..) we are not quite so fortunate. There are not many local breweries (that I know of) that make beers like English Dark Mild (Yards is one that does), Brown Ales, Grisette (Sly Fox makes a seasonal), Scottish Light Ale,...

Maybe someday things will circle back whereby more balanced beers are being produced.

Cheers!

bl00 and ESHBG like this.
  31. jmdrpi

Society

I also think Free Will's Vienna Lager and Neshaminy Creek's Churchville Lager are very well done.

I think one of the the best beers that the previously discussed Blueprint has made was their Forty-Foot Lager - which makes sense as their brewer's previous experience was at Neshaminy Creek and it was very similar to Chruchville Lager.

ESHBG likes this.
  32. jmdrpi

Society

Yup - I think there was a standalone Galaga machine. And then there was machine that you could play 100's of the old arcade/Atari games. I was playing Missile Command.

33. William_Navidson

Trader

I think Forest & Main is a great example of a brewery that focuses on that type of beer where the goal is nuance and balance (if not every one of those exact styles), does it well, and has one of the premiere spaces in the area as well.

NeroFiddled, bl00, jmdrpi and 5 others like this.
  34. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (238) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not in our area but we definitely have access to them and for the Lager lovers be sure to patronize Stoudts, unfortunately I have been seeing many of their beers collecting dust even at the great price point they remain at and even recently witnessed some of the Gold Lager get so old on the shelf that it was replaced with newer stuff that was also not very fresh by that time (note: freshness matters much less to me with non-hoppy styles but I still like to try to grab as fresh as possible regardless of the style).

NodEast likes this.
  35. jmdrpi

Society

Agreed, I don't think there are any other local breweries where you can almost guarantee when you walk in they'll have 3 or 4 tasty beers that are in the 4% abv range.

NeroFiddled, NodEast and thebeers like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

And that pretty much summarizes the 'challenge' here. While it is nice that Forest & Main is willing to produce a variety of lower gravity beers (e.g., balanced beers) this is not the case for most (all?) of the other SEPA small, local breweries. Maybe someday the Haze Bros/Extreme Craft beer drinkers will demand something else?

Cheers!

37. William_Navidson

Trader

You chose a poor day to make this request, an afternoon when Juice Machine was released and instantly commands approx. 10x as much value as a typical Tree House can because it has a few different kinds of(!!!) more hops(!!!).

38. jmdrpi

Society

....but at least the Yards Real Ale Fest is Sunday!

NeroFiddled, NickCaff and zekeman17 like this.
  39. JA_26

JA_26 Initiate (82) Feb 4, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Saint Benjamin's in Kensington to close on May 4. Apparently the building was sold and will become condos. I was only at this place once; seemed OK to me but nothing about their beers really stood out.

40. NickCaff

NickCaff Aspirant (208) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

That is where Fermentory Form brews their wort as well, wonder how much it will effect them....

NeroFiddled likes this.