Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates, etc. (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by jmdrpi, Jan 1, 2022.

1. RC51Mike

RC51Mike Initiate (161) Dec 17, 2004 South Carolina

Hmm, there’s a certain irony. Christian Nationalism and Pennsylvania as a so called Christian state would pursue implementation of Blue Laws among its goals. (From Doug Mastriano comments)

So, St. Boniface supports or may be facilitating limiting alcohol sales? Well, turns out, yes they do- they are closed on Sunday. And I guess, so should everybody else just like them?

It’s bad enough we’re still undoing the legacy of Gifford Pinchot, I don’t need religious zealots now telling me when I can have a drink.

sulldaddy, jmdrpi, zekeman17 and 2 others like this.
  2. Spade

Spade Disciple (310) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Guess I'll finish the one can of their beer left in my house and then put them on the Don't Bother list indefinitely. The little bit I dug up online this evening... whoo boy are they whistling up the wrong neck of the woods.

How's that Collusion Tap Works spot behind the General Sutter? Been wanting to check it out but never feel like driving into Lititz at rush hour (I work near the airport).

DIM and ESHBG like this.
  3. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (323) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Haven't been, but I've heard good things about Collusion.

And I doubt that this quiets down for St. Boniface, based on what I'm seeing. Apparently The Fridge has already begun to pull their product and employees are pretty taken aback (rumors that some are considering or already have left).

Spade and ESHBG like this.
  4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,375) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Seems like at this point if they haven't addressed the issue publicly on their social media channels, it means they did condone the event. It would have be really easy for them to have said otherwise at this point, given the number of people commenting on older posts that they didn't lock down commenting.

5. jmdrpi

Society

Well I spoke too soon. Looks like Tied House/ St. Boniface is indeed doubling down on hosting the event, with a pretty terrible "we're the real victims" post.

William_Navidson likes this.
  6. William_Navidson

Trader

Unsurprising and disappointing.

Also unsurprising and disappointing that so many members of the community are showing support for their stance. That's the reason I hesitated to bring attention to it here as well, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the reaction on BA. Makes me happy I don't live in that community anymore, and will definitely be spending my money differently when I visit (as will friends and family who still live there).

sulldaddy and DIM like this.
  7. jmdrpi

Society

It seems like a mixed bag. Sure there are a lot of people "liking" the post, but some of those people might be just reading the last sentence without realizing some of the things this organization they are hosting actually has stated (and pretty explicitly)

There are a good number of local people commenting their disappointment in the comment section.

8. William_Navidson

Trader

Nevermind, the post is already gone.

9. Spade

"We reject all forms of white nationalism, racism, bigotry and homophobia."

...except when people who are into that rent our building.

Maybe my reading comprehension is diminished from too much time online, but do they think people are bitching simply because the group claims to be Christian? I mean, they're right that there are a lot of churches in Lancaster, but I never knew anyone to complain about it.

I need to see a Venn diagram showing the intersection of religious people and people who can't grasp the crux of an argument.

And does anyone know the date of this event? Might be fun to grab a beer at the Bull's Head and sit on the patio.

jmdrpi and DIM like this.
  10. scottDC

scottDC Aspirant (231) Jul 3, 2013 District of Columbia

Doubling down again--really disappointing stuff from a brewery that i really hoped would be better than this

from instagram:

"Our neighborhoods are pretty divided and we hate it, don't we? Moms and dads aren't talking to their kids, marriages and lifelong friendships are pretty frayed. Neighbors are building walls and putting up fences. And, if you noticed, even though the election is over, flags, bumper stickers, and posts on Facebook show that many aren't letting it go.

We're canceling out the best part of life -- friendship. At St. Boniface, we're doing our best to bring people together around some of the best food and beer in the world. We've designed an open space to discuss -- and even debate -- ideas like faith and politics and just about anything else. We're out to prove that you can be civil, loving, and kind, without being angry or disagreeable.

And it's an election year. So here's an idea. On any Tuesday between now and Election Day, November 8, stop by the Taproom or Tied House and bring someone along who doesn't share your views on religion, politics, or even your playlist. Instead of popping off at each other on Facebook, share a couple pints and a bite to eat. Tell the server your story, and the first round is on us.

We think you'll find that good beer can settle the worst arguments."

11. scottDC

scottDC Aspirant (231) Jul 3, 2013 District of Columbia

who wouldn't want to share a beer with a christian fundamentalist who doesn't think women or queer people deserve rights? i'm sure talking with that person would solve a lot of problems.

sulldaddy, jmdrpi, zekeman17 and 2 others like this.
  12. William_Navidson

Trader

The event was called off this morning, they’re just choosing not to advertise it (for whatever reason). Also, one of the three owners (the one who doesn’t go to the same church as the two event hosts) has apparently left.

13. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,460) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Damn it, I hate hearing this. I'm tired of hearing stuff like this. Good post sir.

14. DIM

Society

Wow, I didn't realize it was possible to miss the point by such a wide margin. Yes we are a divided nation and yes we need to find at least a little common ground. BUT, whether or not non-christians and queer people can hold elected office is NOT up for debate.

Straight, white, Christian bigoted men crying discrimination, god help us.

#214 DIM, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    sulldaddy, jmdrpi, jwat and 3 others like this.
  15. Spade

https://lancasteronline.com/news/lo...cle_803593a6-ed84-11ec-9e99-6728a863de4d.html

Key quote from brewery part-owner Michael Price-
    "… (it’s) just kind of my position that people should be allowed to have an opinion without a backlash,"

Only people who have really shitty opinions- and know it on some level- feel that way.

I feel bad for their employees, but I'm OK with not patronizing them for the time being.

DIM and jmdrpi like this.
  16. jmdrpi

Society

Another key quote:
    "Price said he did not ask for it to be moved."

So yeah, I don't need to buy any more St. Boniface beer.

Luckily there is a huge shortage of service-industry workers right now, so hopefully at least the staff that left Tied House over this issue should be able to find other jobs quickly.

DIM and Spade like this.
  17. William_Navidson

Trader

lmao imagine not recognizing your own privilege to the degree that you think political opinions (literally opinions about the basic civil rights of others) don't have an impact and that you should be able to voice and spread them without consequences. just pure, gross stupidity and ignorance.

#217 William_Navidson, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    DIM, thebeers and Spade like this.
  18. DIM

Society

Even though I don't have a Facebook account I was able to read the comments to their latest post. I don't think more than 15 or 20% supported the brewery. Also, it looks like they are having a very slow night.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've lived in Lancaster county my whole life. It's taking way too damn long but I do believe that overall we are getting better.

William_Navidson likes this.
  19. William_Navidson

Trader

Definitely, didn't mean to disparage all commenters or all Lancastrians -- it's just still disheartening seeing support for some of these stances (even if I would likely see similar support in Philly).

Spade and DIM like this.
  20. DIM

Society

I did not take your post that way at all! We have a hell of a long way to go for sure. Cheers to you sir:beers:

Spade and William_Navidson like this.
  21. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Disciple (320) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

FYI…surprised to see they’re expanding

[​IMG]

FatBoyGotSwagger and thebeers like this.
  22. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,533) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I just bought a 4-pk of Levante Contemporary El Dorado IPA only to find that it cost me $23.49 - that's the most expensive 4-pk I've ever bought, even surpassing the beers from Tree House Brewing. Can this be right?

23. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,783) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Tree House has some of the best priced beers around, especially given their quality, at least in my opinion. $23.49 is very steep.

24. berksowl

berksowl Initiate (97) Jun 15, 2009 Pennsylvania

Any recommendations for Philly-area pubs with proper English best bitters on tap or in the cask? Any local beer stores or bottle shops with more than the basic selection of such English ales (more than Sam Smith's, John Smith's)?

25. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,074) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sounds like it may be a spot with particularly low overhead, but I agree expansion seems risky these days.

Any idea who the “I” behind this post is? Is Jean back at the helm?

26. thebeers

Society Trader

They serve their own stuff, not imports, but Forest & Main is the best for on cask, IMO. It’s a quick SEPTA ride or drive out to the suburbs.

https://www.forestandmain.com/

27. William_Navidson

Trader

Jean has never really left the helm, apparently, and the “I” is certainly him given that he likes to include his dad in Tired Hands ops as well.

thebeers likes this.
  28. William_Navidson

Trader

If you’re intent on staying in Center City I believe The Dandelion often has English ales on cask. Otherwise, @thebeers gave you (by far) the best option in F&M, who specialize and have a love for that stuff. It’s worth the trip if that’s why you’re interested in trying. Human Robot’s Jenkintown location isn’t too far away from there, as well, if you’re looking for some other traditional Euro styles.

berksowl, zekeman17 and jmdrpi like this.
  29. jmdrpi

Society

As others mentioned Forest and Main in Ambler has three beer engines and their English style beers are great. Currently looks like they've got two Milds and what they call a "Pub Ale" on cask.

In a different area of the suburbs (Collegeville) there is also Troubles End Brewing. They have two beer engines, currently a Dry Stout and Pale Bitter. They also have a Dark Mild, ESB, and Porter on regular draft. They've been open a couple years now and I think their beers are generally just as good as F&M and they mostly focus on traditonal European beer styles. They have excellent upscale pub food.
    https://www.troublesendbrewing.com/house-beers

30. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (258) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Victoria Free House on Front Street, just south of Market.
    Have not been in many years, but they had cask ale and English Pub ales.

berksowl and JackHorzempa like this.
  31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,550) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Tom, it has been a while since I too have visited Victoria Freehouse.

In the past I used to visit that place for one beer from the beer engine and then take the short walk to Eulogy to do some serious Belgian beer drinking. I was seriously bummed out when Euology closed. :slight_frown:

Cheers!

berksowl likes this.
  32. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Disciple (320) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Based off their FB Live stories this morning, it also looks like they are now starting a social media war with ratmagnet…..not sure what new developments their have been on her end… but thus could get interesting

thebeers likes this.
  33. thebeers

Society Trader

That tap list looks amazing

34. thebeers

Society Trader

Thanks. I thought he had “stepped down from all daily operations” after the first round of allegations came broadly to light. I don’t follow them that closely and hadn’t heard anything since. Lucky for me there’s a wealth of other options for excellent beer these days.

Spade likes this.
  35. TomFoley

same. Tied on some serious loads in that place over the years especially after some of the Split Thy Skulls.

36. TomFoley

This could get ugly, she is not in the habit of taking prisoners.

37. William_Navidson

Trader

based on what Tired Hands wrote, it sure looks like they’re the ones insisting on this “getting ugly,” completely backtracking on what they said their stance was before.

38. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (418) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I must be out of the loop here and what am I missing?

39. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (418) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

thebeers and William_Navidson like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,550) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

RobertB412 and ESHBG like this.