1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Southern Tier 2X Hopped Hop Flavored Whiskey, the Future?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ESHBG, Apr 12, 2019 at 7:20 PM.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (238) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,778) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

It's been happening in a few distilleries for some years now (since the late 90s at least):

https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/5/18/11693112/beer-whiskey-craft-pa-wheat-ale-arcane

But it doesn't seem to have caught on among whiskey lovers as anything more than a curiosity since it seems that most distillers still seem to use only distiller's beer (without the hops).

3. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

If they could figure out how to add Ho Hos as well, they might have something.

4. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,118) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Agreed, pastry whiskeys and hazy whiskeys are the future.

5. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,064) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I got a bottle of Glenfiddich aged in IPA barrels a few years ago for Christmas and I have to say it was really good. I wouldn’t say it was world class by any stretch but I would say I could definitely taste the ipa on the finish.

Premo88, dcotom, drtth and 2 others like this.
  6. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (526) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

what the hell is an IPA Barrel?

Brewers and distillers are an obvious match. What better thing to do with a batch that just isn't up to spec than distill it? after 8 years in a barrel it can certainly be blended to make gems.
    We are generally seeing a return to the desire for quality in US consumer culture that hasn't really existed since before ww2. We have been a culture of mass produced convenience goods, and over the last 30 years we have been returning to a normal human culture of celebrating quality. Craft beer has been a part of that and craft spirits isn't too far behind.

ESHBG and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (563) Mar 28, 2009 California

A brewery aged an ipa in a cask. Pretty sure the ipa was brewed specially so it can later be filled with whiskey.

8. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (174) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I tried the Jameson IPA cask and didn't like it at all... given the price difference, I'd have higher expectations for Glenfiddich

9. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Disciple (311) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Beer and whiskey are more closely related than many may realize. I work pretty closely with whiskey, and I'm also obsessed with the stuff, and I can tell you that there are a number of distilleries that are working with breweries to create products. In addition to breweries using whiskey barrels to mature beer in, there are many distilleries that are sourcing beer barrels to age and/or finish whiskey in. "Finishing" is the practice of putting whiskey in a different cask other than the one used to age it, to impart certain flavours and nuance that can only be achieved by using these speciality casks. They may be virgin oak casks, charred oak casks, ex-wine casks, ex-spirit casks, and yes, even ex-beer casks. Often times, these finishing casks are specially made or "seasoned", specifically for finishing whiskey in.

Furthermore, before whiskey is distilled, the mash that is used is basically beer. It's even called beer, before it's transferred to a still. There has been an emergence in recent years of craft distilleries and dual brewery-distilleries brewing or sourcing legitimate hopped beer, and then using that as the wort that they distill, and eventually produce a whiskey from. These hopped whiskeys or "beer" whiskeys absolutely retain certain flavour elements of the beer used to create it, including the floral, fruity, and piney notes coming from the hops. This hasn't (yet) become a terribly common practice, but it's certainly occurring on production levels within the craft beer and whiskey communities.

Personally, I think that currently, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of the relationship between craft beer and whiskey. Cooperation can lead to extraordinary things, and I for one, look forward to seeing what's in store!

Cheers

User_Name, tmalt, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  10. SierraNevallagash

Trader

Two words...

Fire and Cane

thesherrybomber likes this.
  11. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,223) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

anyone buying this stuff is a dumb ass, the good Bourbon game is much better hustle nowadays.. Buffalo trace Eagle Rare that is much better then others liquors. A sucker is born everyday.

12. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

I wonder how successful they'll be. From what I've gathered, many craft brewers are simply "tinkering", and most who take their whiskey seriously are already fans of the breweries (some will state their market ARE beer lovers, so retain many of the traits that their buyers already enjoy in beer).

Its pretty funny when you look at what Budweiser and Jim Beam did, compared to some of the smaller guys.

SierraNevallagash likes this.
  13. SierraNevallagash

Trader

Yeah, finishing in beer barrles is one thing (look at the success of the Jameson Stout Edition), but as far as distilleries distilling from actual beer, I think it could easily go either way right now. There's certainly potential, but it's still a very niche thing, not to mention a totally new and untraditional flavour profile. I've tried one or two "hopped" whiskeys, and can't say that I'm a fan of that whole thing, but I've also heard that one or two have been met with some serious praise. I'm curious to see where that whole thing will stand in a few years. Hell, maybe hoppy whiskeys will become commonplace on the shelves, like finished bourbons. Only time will tell, I guess. If you find a good one, let me know. I'll bring the glencairns!

14. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

It sounds hypocritical, but my issue is more with folk wanting to rewrite the rules. I blame craft beer for spreading shit like this:

[​IMG]

When I drink beer, I want beer (and when I drink whiskey, I want whiskey). Is that too pedantic? Seeing a bunch of beer guys who know nothing about whiskey and saying they're going to tear things down definitely gets my back against the wall.

Premo88 and SierraNevallagash like this.
  15. guinness77

[​IMG]

16. guinness77

I got mine as a gift, I would have never even considered it. I have to say though, it’s not bad. I mean, it is Glenfiddich. Glenfiddich is certainly not my favorite single malt, but being from a more than reputable distillery, it can’t be “bad.”

Premo88 and ESHBG like this.
  17. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,051) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I've never had a beer cask influenced bourbon that was anywhere close to being as good as the original... can't say the same about a bourbon barrel aged beer..whatever that means....

Premo88 likes this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’m boring the only scotch I buy are Islay whiskies. I’m much more willing to experiment with Bourbon, I’ve tried a slew, but I haven’t found anything I like better than the cask strength Knob Creek.

Premo88 and Tilley4 like this.
  19. SierraNevallagash

Trader

Well if your goal in whiskey is complexity, then Islay malts are your best bet. Certainly nothing boring about a good peated whisky. However, I feel obligated to inform you of the likes of:
    Elijah Craig 12yr Barrel Proof
    George T. Stagg
    Rhetoric 23yr Orphan Barrel
    Angel's Envy Cask Strength
    Old Forester 1920
    Whistlepig Boss Hog V (a c.s. rye)
    High West A Midwinter Night's Dram (another rye)

If you're willing to experiment (and spend a little money!) with American whiskey, I think some of these will blow your 120p Knob Creek 9yr right out of the water. If you enjoy that, at least one on that list will blow your mind. Scotch as a whole will always be superior in terms of complexity, but these whiskeys, in my opinion, are the exception to the rule.

Premo88 and nc41 like this.
  20. nc41

Trader

Ohhh, I’m willing, but I’m still in NC, none of those look familiar. But I’ll definitely look, I’m going on vacation in 3 weeks and need a bottle. I was thinking Ardbeg, but I’ll look for one of those above. My brother hates Islay whiskey, and we get the very basics here, nothing more than that.

Premo88 and SierraNevallagash like this.
  21. SierraNevallagash

Trader

Ask your local bottle shop about the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. It's probably the cheapest and,most accessible whiskey on that list, and quite possibly the best bourbon I've tried. I have turned a few scotch-only guys onto bourbon because of that bottle. It's magical. It'll make that 9yr Knob taste like Jack. Would love to hear if you ever end up trying it! It's worth skipping the Ardbed just once. Should be similarly priced.

Premo88 and nc41 like this.
  22. nc41

Trader

I see Whistle Pig 12 ya old is licensed in NC, but it’s not everywhere. Love EC 12, lots of bang for the buck, I’ll look for the cask strength.

Premo88 likes this.
  23. nc41

Trader

Looks like EC Barrel Proof I’d licensed in NC. I’ll check where it’s available. Thanks for the heads up, right at $60.

Premo88 likes this.
  24. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (691) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I’m all good with Old Crow and Wild Turkey reserve.

Sure there’s better but it’s what I like at a $ I like.

Enjoy

nc41 and Premo88 like this.
  25. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,749) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

The tip of the iceberg indeed. The Jameson Caskmates series is finding a small following, and American whiskey makers are trying everything they can think of to put new spins on the old spirit.

I've not tried any beer-influenced whiskeys but I'm sure I will at some point. I will say the relationship between beer and whiskey sometimes tastes 1:1. This year I've had just two beers but have drained about eight bottles of whiskey because I love barley malt, and no offense to the big malty beers, but there's no malt bomb like a 60% ABV cask strength single malt scotch whisky.

At some point some American distillery is going to start putting hops in their stills. Or maybe start dry-hopping a newmake spirit. Somebody already is somewhere I'm sure. It seems inevitable.

26. SierraNevallagash

Trader

You made my mouth water thinking about big cask strength single malts. Indeed. I'm at the point where I often compare big mslty beers to Scotch when I'm reviewing them. That sweet, rich, round malted barley note. Aberlour A'bunadh came to mind.
    I hadn't ever thought about the concept of dry-hopping new make, or otherwise directly influencing a spirit with hops, but I think you're absolutely right about that. Inevitability is the word. I think the general constraints and requirements that TTB has in place, regarding what something can be called once certain things are done to a spirit will inevitably pose a challenge when it comes to hopping a whiskey, but one way or another, with America's obsession with hops, a period of rapid innovation, and the desire to push boundaries and break the mold of tradition in the world of craft distillation, I think we may very well start seeing something like that well within the next 5 to 10 years. I'll remember you as the first person I heard predict that, if and when I see a hoppy whiskey on the shelf.

Premo88 likes this.
  27. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,658) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Oat cream whiskey and guava milkshake whiskey, bruh.

28. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (298) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

It’s a thing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering

29. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

30. ESHBG

I'm going to explore Whiskey a little more, don't know much about it really and would be a nice alternative to beer when in the mood.

31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,223) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Since you are in PA, just get a bunch of Buffalo Trace and thank me later.. you can get the large format for like $35 Elijah Craig is nice also.. these may be bourbons but trust me.

ESHBG likes this.
  32. ESHBG

Thanks for the tip and I will be on the lookout!

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.