Southern Tier 2X Rye

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by CloudStrife, May 14, 2013.

1. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Nov 20, 2008 New York

DOTU, ChipMurray, fredmugs and 9 others like this.
  2. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania

I do like the beers Southern Tier has put out lately from 2x stout to the new Live pale ale that I worked through an entire case of.

I for one do not like a lot of rye in my beer so 2x rye might not be for me. Too much rye leaves me with a dry palate but I will still try it since I may like it if it's balanced enough.

3. fmccormi

fmccormi Oct 24, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

Yes. I imagine that one has a lot of potential. 2XIPA is easily the driest of their DIPAs, and it's much better for it. DrDemento456, I figure that if their DIPAs tend to be too sweet, then a nice, dry, rye-forward (D)IPA should be a nice addition (dried-out, relative to their other DIPAs, of course).

Ruthless is decent but not great, and Rye of the Tiger is excellent. Another affordable, promising rye (D)IPA in sixers will be quite welcome in my fridge.

nicholasofcusa and CloudStrife like this.
  4. CloudStrife

Agreed.... And we have the same birthday.. to the year...

fmccormi likes this.
  5. fmccormi

Beer Trader

No shit? Well how about that. What part of NY, Mnsr Strife?

6. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

NICE! I am huge Southern Tier fan

ChipMurray likes this.
  7. CloudStrife

Same here!... Got all their 22's on top of my kitchen cupboards (good lord thats a weird word) Was a little disappointed in the Plum Noir but had just drank the Bourbon Backburner and a BCBS... tough competition.

btw if anyone has a Southern Tier Gemni with the original non "holographic" label .... I'll trade real beer :p

8. dap325

dap325 Apr 2, 2009 New York

Love rye beers.. Can't wait to try this.

smutty33 and CloudStrife like this.
  9. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sounds great!

10. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Following the footsteps of SN Ruthless, Founder's Red Rye PA, Boulevard Rye-on-Rye, GLBC Rye of the Tiger, FFF Rye da Tiger and Full Pint Rye Rebellion, im really excited for ST's attempt on a rye beer!!

11. ColdOne

ColdOne Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I just cracked a Gemini I recently found in Syracuse (Galeville Byrne Dairy). It's bottled 2/6/12 but still tastes damn good to me. The label is shiny, but I don't think it's a hologram.

12. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

I've personally been underwhelmed by ST's 2X series, besides 2X IPA.. hopefully this breaks the slump..

Rye is good.. I like the spicy/black pepper aspect..

Mediczod likes this.
  13. CloudStrife

Thanks for the lead but the old one I am seeking Isnt shiny.... Holographic wasn't really the right phrase I guess.

14. mattbk

mattbk Dec 12, 2011 New York

2x Everything.

MarkJBurch likes this.
  15. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Definitely looking forward to trying this one. I really like rye beer.

16. Rob315

Rob315 Mar 20, 2010 Kentucky

Can't wait for this one.

17. Mersh

Mersh Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I think Rye's are highly under appreciated. I myself am a huge rye fan. Brewers should make and bottle more.

18. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

Yes. This is awesome. I love Rye IPAs. Rye of the Tiger is one of my favorite beers this year, and I still have 18 or so bottles left. 2XRye should make a nice replacement in a few months.

Magic Hat's Rye IPA was also pretty good. I only had it once but it was definitely better than anything else I've ever had from them, which isn't saying a lot.

19. ColdOne

ColdOne Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I just grabbed some of the brand new Old Habit by Ithaca Beer. Rye beer aged rye whiskey barrels. It was almost as awesome as I remembered the last batch, which was some time ago.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/651/37156

20. ivorycannon

I can not wait for some rye from southern tier

21. Danny1217

Danny1217 Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Sounds tasty!

Rye IPAs seem to be getting more and more popularity.

22. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 May 15, 2011 Florida

Im not big on rye, but Southern tiers X2 series has yet to fail, so I doubt it will with the next one.

I cant wait to give it a try.

23. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

You guys don't get Founders in NY, do you? I think it has transitioned to season release, but their Red's Rye Pale is baller.

lic217 likes this.
  24. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

I've recently had a few Southern Tier beers (Live and 2X Stout) and have been impressed ... I REALLY liked 2X Stout. I have a 2X IPA in my fridge.

They make some good stuff.

ChipMurray and Kerrie like this.
  25. ivorycannon

Drinking 2x IPA right now, with some Alpha King and Dreadnaught chillin in the fridge. Big fan of 2x

ChipMurray likes this.
  26. fmccormi

Beer Trader

We sure do. Red's Rye is pretty good, for sure. I need to give it another go sometime soon.

CloudStrife likes this.
  27. Christopper

Christopper Nov 14, 2012 New York

Founders all over this piece.

BKBassist likes this.
  28. sfsean28

sfsean28 Dec 17, 2008 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Looking forward to drinking ST 2x Rye, when I can find it. Blue Point Rastafa Rye was the first rye and I've been hooked since then. Sixpoint Righteous Ale was very good and most recently I had Arcadia's Sky high rye which was a pleasant surprise while searching for GL Rye of the Tiger.

29. blivingston1985

This is the one beer from Founders that I must have on draft.

30. Immortale25

Immortale25 May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

31. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Sounds good and I'll definitely try it.

32. fmccormi

Beer Trader

As in, it's better on draft? How different is it between bottle and draft? I've never had it on tap.

33. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I dig the 2xIPA and 2xStout so I bet this is gonna be good

34. blivingston1985

I've just never had a bottle taste anywhere near draft. There is a big aroma on draft that makes the grapefruit notes and there is an almost... floral note that I never get from the bottle. Maybe I've never had a really fresh bottle? Maybe it's just in my head? But I did live 3 hours away from the brewery when I lived in Michigan and feel my experience is the same here in NC.

Am I alone on this one? Anyone else agree?

fmccormi likes this.
  35. darkenbar

darkenbar Jan 15, 2006 New York

This sounds good, sucks that we have to wait till Fall. I think rye ipa's go great with anything from the grill.

36. ichorNet

ichorNet Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

I'll probably check this out. I also saw sixers of ST 2x Steam Double Uncommon recently which looked interesting... an imperial brown steam beer seems like one of those really weird ideas no one wants to tackle. I'm into the idea of strong rye ales, too, though, so this may be a no-brainer. 2x IPA and Stout are both fine.

37. bkov33

bkov33 Dec 5, 2007 New Jersey

does southern tier follow the trend where "fall" beers are really released in summer? or do we actually have to wait until september/october to try this one?

38. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Jan 13, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

You must have not tried the 2XSteam they just came out with. Big letdown.

39. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Had that last month, worst ST beer I've had.

40. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 May 15, 2011 Florida

I disagree. I had x2 steam, and for me, its the best steam beer I've ever had, and a good beer on its own. Everyone I've recommended it too has agreed with me so far, and it continues to be a good choice at the bar.

Hopsun was the big letdown for me, but that was just because it was just not a good idea, in my opinion. Hops and wheat generally do not mix well, and for me, it just felt like a very average beer

dap325 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe