Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Speakeasy Scarface Barrel Aged & He'Brew Funky Jewbelation

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by nbanyard87, Mar 15, 2013.

1. nbanyard87

Just picked these up today - anyone tried them out there?

2. YieldToNothing

i did not like the funky jewbelation. very all over the place. tasted like thick, nasty cough medicine to me.

3. SanFranJake

Beer Trader

Had the Scarface. It was decent. Not awesome but not terrible. I grabbed two so we'll see with the other how some time does for it.
    It's a great price for a local BA brewery, so I'll support em!

4. RandomBattle

Beer Trader

I liked Funky...it was a tad on the sweet side, but enjoyable none-the-less.

5. macrosmatic

Beer Trader

FWIW, I was fortunate enough to try the Funky Jewbelation on draft a couple weeks ago in the company of Jeremy Cowan (owner of Shmaltz). I thought it was a wonderful beer about the first half of the 16 oz. pour the bartender gave me. Then...I was completely done drinking it, and didn't want any more. It was the feeling you would get while eating a rich double-chocolate-cake that you were just completely done with before it was gone. I made that observation to Mr. Cowan, and he said that it's a beer that he intended to be drank as a dessert beer, or as a replacement for an espresso in that late afternoon - or something to that effect at least. And as such, he thought that an 8 to 10 oz. pour would be more appropriate. He made the suggestion that if you bought a bomber of the Funky, it would likely be best split between three or four people.

YMMV.

6. UCLABrewN84

Funky Jewbelation is good. BA Scarface is decent but not as good as I was hoping.

7. yoitsarch

Beer Trader

BA Scarface was average to me, too boozy.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe