Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Special Brews in Lynnwood

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TysonA, Dec 29, 2013.

1. TysonA

Beer Trader

So not sure how many of you have found this little gem up in Lynnwood (since most of you think Redmond is like going east of the Cascade mountains ;) but I ventured there yesterday and it was great. The staff really knew their stuff and were really friendly.

Enjoyed this brew last night after it was recommended to me during my visit:

[​IMG]

Check the place out if you haven't already.

Cheers

Prufrockstar, sharpski and HuskyinPDX like this.
  2. draheim

Beer Trader

I've been up there a couple times, and it is a great store. Unfortunately, it's a little too far out of my radius to shop there frequently; same goes for a couple of my other favorite spots, Beer Junction and 99 Bottles. Annie (I believe that's her name) was very responsive to emails a couple times when I was looking for a particular beer but didn't want to make a special drive up to Lynnwood in vain, and she clearly knows a lot about beer.

3. NWer

Beer Trader

4. GiveMeNoBeer

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

sergeantstogie and TysonA like this.
  5. NWer

Beer Trader

They don't get it if they don't sell it. I wish them well. Very well.

6. yojimbo1

I live very close to this place. If you haven't been in a while they expanded sometime in the last year. They have a lot more room than they used to and more tap. It's worth a stop if you're in the area.

distantmantra likes this.
  7. sanford_and_son

Drove by there once over the summer, been meaning to stop by. I'm guessing they have stuff that's long gone from most popular Seattle stores, kinda like 99 Bottles.

8. GiveMeNoBeer

Probably true, but I wouldn't walk in expecting to find a shelf full of Ivan, BCBS, etc. They do move the in demand product pretty quickly, but there are probably some things there you'd be happy to find. I do find it hard to leave without a bottle of Bbomb lately, regardless of how many I already have

9. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

Beer Trader

Had a VERY bizarre experience there. After doing some research, and coming into contact with other individuals, it would appear I'm not the only one. Tons of great places in the Seattle area, Bottleworks, Beer Authority, Chuck's on 85th, Central Market of Shoreline, and Ballard, list goes on. Specials Brews has a pretty good selection, but that's about it.

10. NWer

Beer Trader

This post is bizarre. What to make of such vague accusations without any substance to support them?

sergeantstogie and GiveMeNoBeer like this.
  11. Prufrockstar

I've had nothing but great experiences there. Would almost certainly be a regular if it was closer to where I live/work.

12. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

Beer Trader

I've been a regular customer there for about a year. I buy beers almost every visit, and they know me by name. Made a stop there a few days ago, with a good friend of mine, who is also a customer of theirs. It was business as usual, they were all smiles, and Annie even took a moment to make some small talk with us. Didn't see any bottles we wanted, so we left. On our way out, about midway into the parking lot, Annie steps out, calls me by name and says to never come back. To be honest, we thought she was joking. So in turn I said, I seriously can't tell if you're joking or not. She replies, you're a thief and have a bad reputation here. I was absolutely blown away, and have never been accused like that. I'm a grown man, pay for everything I own and take care of my family. So I email her the next day, in an attempt to clear things up. I asked about the accusations, she replied, but offered no insight on the situation. I still have no idea what happened. Since then, I met two other gentlemen, one online, and one in person at Total Wine. The man online claims to have been denied access to their mug club, after being 50 or so beers in. They said one of their members "didn't like him". The man I met in person, claims they refused to serve him, because one of their employees "didn't like him". Appears to be a trend here.

So anyways, there you have it. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, which is why I was vague to begin with. I know a lot of you enjoy the place, and I'm not advising anybody to not go there. Like I said, up until then, my experience has been good. I'm innocent, have nothing to hide, and if anybody wants to grab a beer, I'll be in Lynnwood tomorrow night.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  13. GiveMeNoBeer

Wow, that's really strange and if what you say is correct about you being innocent and her saying that, it's pretty irresponsible to accuse you like that. I know they had someone steal some signs from the bathroom recently but never heard more about it.

14. NWer

Beer Trader

Very sorry to hear of this dispute. I don't want to get caught in the middle of this so I'm bowing out. But I sure hope this gets cleared up to everyone's satisfaction.

15. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

Beer Trader

Yeah, I actually read about their sign incident on Facebook. I wondered if they somehow thought I was connected. Like I said, I got nothing to hide, and I'm not going to sit back and let anybody call me a thief. I tried to be a gentlemen and clear it up by email (which I have copies of), but she wouldn't even tell me what I was being accused up. You guys can feel free to ask her in person if you'd like. I only ask that I be informed of the accusations. It's a shitty feeling, to give an establishment a year of your business, only to be turned on without reason, or warning. And to NWer, you asked.

GiveMeNoBeer likes this.
  16. Dogfishipas

I'm starting to sense a theme here, didn't you claim the same thing with Whistle stop?

NWer likes this.
  17. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

Beer Trader

That situation had nothing to do with me. I did however, make it my business. You can believe what you want tho.

18. sergeantstogie

The store is great. Do people expect business owners to be your buddy? I just expect them to sell me what I want to buy. But that does sound totally baby town frolics about being called a thief in the parking lot. If it were me, I wouldn't return. But thas yo bizniss.

I actually messaged a mod about one of the reviews for Special Brews as I thought it was just crazy talk. His advice was to message Todd and Jason. But hey maybe they are a lil off center so I'll just let it lie.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe