splitting a brew day: TAKE 2

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Darthballs, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthballs

Darthballs Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Missouri

I was wondering if anybody does a complete ONE HOUR mash and sparge and collect all the wort in the brew kettle, then maybe cover it and set it a side untill the next day, then boil. I'm not thinking of a overnight mash, would their be any ill effects from this, or is this ok. I'm thinking it would be ok since I've heard of people getting wort from a brewery and taking it home and finishing it. Sorry for a re-post of sorts but I never really got my question answered.

2. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

I'd bring it to a covered boil first. My concern i if the wort isn't in an insulated mash tun (and rather a conductive metal kettles) would cool the wort into "dangerous" levels. It would also stop the conversion by the enzymes. That said, even if you get an infection over 8 hours, you're going to kill it off and I can't imagine what flavour it would already have brought to the party...

3. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

I've been intrigued by this as well (it would be a huge time saver for me.) I've heard of the possibility of the mash somehow souring, but I have no idea if that is true/what the chemistry is behind that notion.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,328) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The chemistry would be bacteria, such as Lactobacillus, getting a foothold in the wort and converting sugars into lactic acid.

5. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

This has come up a few times with mixed results. Some people save time and others make an uber attenuative beer that bottoms out like wine.

I don't remember, but a mash out might help lock in your beer profile.

6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

kjyost calls it again. Sparge and bring that wort to a boil to denature enzymes and kill the Lacto. Of course, once you have boiling wort, it's tempting to just take it to the finish line.

I think that killing the lacto might be a good idea.Those bugs will begin to metabolize some as the wort cools. The time period at which they will affect flavor in the wort, I do not know, but I know the grain in my mash tun can reek if I brew at night and wait until morning to clean up.

7. Darthballs

Darthballs Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Missouri

Not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info. I'm glad I listened to everyone and not settle for what I wanted to hear. (didn't want to get yelled at) Looks like it's full brew days for me. I might have to experiment with overnight mash then to save some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.