Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Spokane BA's - Hopped Up Brewing - Anyone know anything else about it?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by leedorham, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

devlishdamsel likes this.
  2. whiskey

whiskey Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

This is the first I've heard. Pretty cool though.

3. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I've read everything on the Internet about them for the past few months, but that's all I know. The building still looks vacant, run down, and like a defunct ihop. They have "Hopped Up Brewing" on the old marquee.

I hope for the best. The more quality breweries in Spokane the better.

4. hoppedupbrewingco

hoppedupbrewingco Jun 5, 2013 Washington

5. whiskey

Beer Trader

Are you guys serving food too, or just beer?

6. hoppedupbrewingco

We will be serving beer steamed hotdogs. such as stout dogs, ect. Flavor will always be changing depending what's on tap. We also are one of the only bars that has nitrous oxide on tap in Spokane, a real experience to enjoy :) Every table will receive a complementary bowl of pretzels. We are really focusing on showcasing the flavors of our brews.

7. leedorham

No pancakes?

8. whiskey

Beer Trader

You say "only bar that has nitro", are you going to have other beers on tap or just your own beers? Are you saying the nitro beer will be your own brew?

9. hoppedupbrewingco

We will have a variety of our own beers up for tasting. We only have two taps with Nitro. Yes the Nitro additive is in our own beers. No other brands of beers. Come on down and watch the brewing in progress! The Beer is made right here in the brewery, and you will be seeing our beers in local bars soon! :) Sorry no Pancakes ;)

whiskey likes this.
  10. hoppedupbrewingco

And please forgive the= auto correct is its NITRO= nitrogen + CO2 :) NOT NITROUS OXIDE LIKE YOU GET AT THE DENTIST.

beertunes likes this.
  11. leedorham

:( but that sounded fun

beertunes likes this.
  12. checktherhyme

Count me in!

13. whiskey

Beer Trader

Anyone checked it out yet?

14. checktherhyme

I went opening day, and it was a great crowd. The owner have me a nice tour of the brewery too!

15. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Forget it then . . . .

beertunes likes this.
  16. leedorham

I checked them out opening night as well. Didn't stay too long. I think I'll make a return visit sometime in the next couple months after they've had a chance to dial everything in a little more.

hopsoflove likes this.
  17. hopsoflove

hopsoflove Jul 22, 2013 Washington

I hate to give a local place an unpleasant review on here but I was really disappointed. I was super excited to see a new brewery opening in the valley since I'm a HUGE fan of Twelve String Brewery over off of Montgomery. I drove by Hopped up and wasn't even sure it was open since the outside looks like the "Beverly Hillbillies" own it. In my opinion, this place is nothing to write home to mom about...the flavors need to be better developed and even the "nitro" gimmick isn't going to save this disaster.

I'm not telling you not to go here, but just to keep your expectations low.The beer is.....OK if you don't know anything about good brewing and just want a buzz, but lets face it, PBR does the same job and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

The place looks like a dump. If you are going to offer low grade beer in a run down IHOP then you had better, at the minimum have an attractive staff to bring in the people..epic fail in this department as well.

Hops of love Rating scale: 1-10 where 1 is terrible and 10 is superb:

Beer....4.5
    Staff....3
    ascetics and atmosphere...2.5
    cleanliness...7
    food...3 (if you call pretzels and hot dogs food)
    ________
    overall avg...4

Good luck to you anyhow!!

18. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I by no means intend to discredit your review, but could you explain "an attractive staff"? It reads like you meant to hyperlink to the Hooters' site, but perhaps my interpretation is off.

19. harrymel

harrymel Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Huh, first time I've heard anybody say this besides the head brewer of Twelve String while he was bashing Elysian for being too corporate at a local establishment.

To the OP, haven't tried, hopefully they make it to some of my local watering holes, I don't like driving out to the valley.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  20. checktherhyme

I think this is really unfair to post on here. The staff (which is what I assume was the owners wife and daughters) was incredibly nice to us when we went. Also, rating a tasting room on food is stupid when they don't claim to be a brewpub or restaurant. I thought that the atmosphere was cozy and comfortable as well.

They are brand new and naturally going to have a few problems. Give them time to work the kinks out before bashing them on a public forum.

21. hopsoflove

ok checktherhyme...maybe you are right as to the fact that they need time to work the bugs out. But, at least have your recipes down BEFORE you open the door!! Not to be unfair, but if you look at places like NoLi, Twelve String, Rogue...etc they, in my opinion, serve consistent quality products with a way better atmosphere, with more choices, and they aren't in a run down old building that looks like it should be condemned.

Pardon me for wanting to go to a place that is not only eye appealing but also has things I want such as good food, great beer, maybe some live entertainment, and yes some good looking waitresses (and no I'm not talking about Hooters).
    These are the qualities and choices I am looking for when I choose an establishment to spend my hard earned money. Everyone is different and can like this place all they want but to me, this place totally missed the mark.

The positive side is that they have a whole lot of room for improvement. I wish them luck!

22. leedorham

I don't find your opinion of the beer invalid. Honestly, I wasn't a fan when I tried, but I have to say I don't understand your other beefs with this place. I thought the building looked fine and being in an old ihop is kinda quirky in a fun way.

As far as the "attractive staff " comments. That's also strange considering the other places you named. Not calling anyone ugly but twelve string isn't exactly Hooters either. Who cares anyway? Plus it seems you made an account just to rip this place and give no-li a good review.

Like I said. I'll give them some time to dial things in and then give them another shot.

23. NWer

Beer Trader

You're a member of the BA community since yesterday and you're ripping on a new place from the get-go? Is that why you joined?
    Cheap shots about their attractiveness - or lack thereof - and berating them on food when they clearly aren't a place to go to for food isn't the way to gain any credibility on this site.
    If this is a reflection of your true personality I doubt you have any friends.
    Maybe you should get a dog.

24. zestd

zestd Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

You lost me here. Have you ever tasted their beers or been to Newport? False definitely on the atmosphere...and only a couple of their beers are above average.

But def seems like a NoLi employee/owner/fanboy...make a good review on one and trash a new competitor?

devlishdamsel and checktherhyme like this.
  25. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Seem like you Northwest folks are much more pleasant in calling out a troll when it is readily apparent such a statement is warranted. (In the Great Lakes forum, such comments would have been denounced to the point where the thread would have either been locked or deleted in a very short period of time). The fact that the post was made under a new handle shows that the individual responsible knew he was crossing a line of sorts, and went ahead with the comment anyway.

I know not of this Hopped Up Brewing place, but like all other small breweries popping up these days, pay a visit for yourself and don't let the opinions of others influence your thoughts on the establishment. You might just come away pleasantly surprised.

26. leedorham

I don't think this person is a troll. I mean, they have their own rating scale and everything. How could a troll have their own rating scale?

beertunes, NWer and checktherhyme like this.
  27. hopsoflove

I call it how I see it...period. As NWer pointed out I just signed up on this site and I reviewed the last place I visited. I have only gotten a chance to review one other brewery on here, NoLi, and haven't had a chance to add more reviews of such places as Twelve String, Rogue, Deschutes, Terminal Gravity, Laughing Dog, Big Sky etc.Maybe I should have reviewed NoLi first instead of second!!

I went to college in Corvallis, OR so yes zestd I have been to Newport. I am not a NoLi "fanboy" or "affiliated" with Twelve String. Don't be upset but, Im not a fan of Laughing Dog Brewery out of Sandpoint either but, I haven't got to that review yet. So get your personal " I don't have any friends" insults ready...because they are quite comical. This forum would not be credible if everyone just lied and said how great this place is. They need the feedback to fix big problems.

Here is the deal. At Hopped Up, the beer doesn't taste good....period. The place needs to be updated on the outside....period. There is nothing else to draw you in like good food, or attractive staff members, or live entertainment that bring in 21 -28 year olds that spend money....whether they be male or female...period. So if you have a brewery with not so good beer and a dilapidated storefront...then you better damn well have something else to bring in a crowd!!! So if this feedback is offensive to you then I don't know what to tell ya!

I visited Hopped up with 3 of my guy friends and none of them liked the beer either...yes...I am a female. We are all big beer fans. We all frequent NW breweries and we all like our beer. There are a lot of good places to drink beer but this place needs a lot of work to get up to par with all the other great choices.

28. leedorham

So what I'm getting here is a beer drinking beaver and her three guy friends seeking 21-28 year olds for live entertainment, right?

29. harrymel

You're welcome.

30. hopsoflove

No, I'm married and in my 40s. What you are getting is an example of a demographic of potential customers that spend the most money on alcohol in Spokane and in order to make a business succeed you need to tailor a business plan around your target customers that will keep you in business...Get it?

31. leedorham

I think I get it. If you are in your 40's, you want your bar to target 21-28 year olds, and then when you are in your 50's you want the bar to target 31-38 year olds, so the ages just keep going up, but since you got married in your 40's you don't really like this place being in an ihop because ihops are more popular with old people, right?

Some times I have a tough time with these marketing economics so thanks for explaining.

checktherhyme and NWer like this.
  32. hopsoflove

yep!! You got it! Its ok. I know you have a tiny mind that doesn't get the big picture here so I will keep explaining it to you. What else do you need to know about?

33. whiskey

Beer Trader

Never have I heard a married woman in her 40's sound so much like a 21 year old male douchebag. Sorry if it sounds mean, but it's truth.

34. NWer

Beer Trader

Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
    Rick: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

Just sayin'

source: imdb - wanted to make sure I got it right :)

hopsoflove likes this.
  35. hopsoflove

Nice!!

36. hopsoflove

Frankly My Dear....I don't give a damn!!

Rhett to Scarlett
    Source: WIKI

37. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I can't believe all this entertainment is free.
    "What a country!" - Yakov Smirnoff

beertunes, Lansman, 66jzmstr and 5 others like this.
  38. harrymel

I pretty much understand everything you said in this one, but except the part I quoted.

Do you mean that people in their 40's spend the most on alcohol? Or that because you and your friends are all beer fans, the potential is there because if it were better, they'd get your repeat business?

Not trolling like I usually do, actually want clarification.

39. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm going to take hopsoflove seriously & sincerely and point out a couple thoughts I had on their post. Perhaps, as a new brewery, which the majority of start on a shoestring budget, they spent their money on brewing and serving equipment, instead of the exterior, which they can spruce up over time. And, having worked in bars, and crunched the nightly numbers, the 21 year old demographic spends the least amount of money, per person. If you count numbers at the door, or the number of tickets from your POS, at the end of the night, you easily get a number that shows what each person, or group spent. A group of 4 having 3 happy hour beers at a discount, don't spend as much as a group of four that come at the non-discount time, agreed? While that college demographic you think is valuable, is also the group that pre-funks more (thus buying fewer at the bar, they're mostly there for the "social" aspect), sneaks in bottles more (check the bathrooms and parking lots at the end of the night), and walks out on tabs more. The most valuable group to bars, is the same as it is to advertisers, 28-54. Adults with jobs, who don't trash your place, and waste your time.

I live and work in a college town, and yes, college kids collectively spend a lot, individually, not so much. After all, they have to buy computers, video games, snowboards, mountain bikes, smart phones, and rent and food too, on limited budgets. I hope you'll give the new brewery a few months, and try them again. Sometimes the recipes that brew great on your home brew system, don't do well on the move to a larger system (just like some food recipes don't multiply well either), and the brewers have to learn how everything works.

checktherhyme, 66jzmstr and draheim like this.
  40. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Sep 12, 2012 Washington

I looked away and all of a sudden things got weird in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe