Sprecher Citra Bomb

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Flyway, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyway

Flyway Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Wisconsin

Someone who knows something, tell me what the distribution in WI will be like. From the article I read on beerpulse (http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/12/sprecher-citrabomb-makes-debut-as-companys-first-imperial-ipa/), I felt the distribution plans for this were a bit unclear.

"CitraBomb is being packaged exclusively in 22 ounce bottles and draught. Due to the small batch size, most of this Imperial IPA will be distributed in Wisconsin. Until supplies run out it will be available at the Sprecher Gift Shop, 701 W. Glendale Ave, Glendale, WI."

Is it being distributed throughout the state, or only in the gift shop?

2. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aspirant (210) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

From what I can tell of other Sprecher limited releases, it should see pretty decent distribution in the Milwaukee area. Can't really speak to Madison or other parts of WI. I don't think they get enough traffic to make anything Gift Shop only.

3. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012
    Deactivated

How is the DIPA from Sprecher? I have heard mixed things.

4. Flyway

Thanks, I suppose that last part about not making gift shop only makes sense. I think I just read the quote wrong. I'm looking forward to trying this... it's sad that I don't go to Sprecher enough as they brew great beer right in town.

5. sherm1016

Are you referring to IPA2? I don't think it gets very good ratings on either site. For me, I generally think it's boozy for the style. Not my favorite DIPA.

I love Sprecher as they are about five minutes from my house, but I just don't think they do well with American styles. Their Hefe, Black Bavarian, Abbey Triple, Mai Bock, Special Amber, and other European styles are very tasty IMO.

6. chumsnards666

Deactivated

I have not had much Sprecher, but I have been seeing the IPA2 everywhere and it always tempts me. I leave it sit, along with Pearl Street's Dankenstein.

7. Flyway

The Dankenstein I have had, being a La Crosse alum... I had to try it. Thought it was pretty good. From what I remember, quite boozy though... whether you like or not.

8. jakethesnake9z9z

jakethesnake9z9z Initiate (140) Mar 5, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

I would agree completely - love the Hefe, Black Bavarian, Triple, and Scotch Ale but most of the American styles are a miss. I think that the IPA2 tastes exactly like a pretty decent IPA fermented to twice the strength without any extra hops or malt added. Higher alcohol beers that lack flavor or adequate malt backing is a big turn off for me.

Also, recently had Sprecher's version of the local wet hop collection (Hopfuzion I think?) and was not a fan at all. Despite Sprecher beers being hit or miss, I think I'll have to try this one.

9. sherm1016

Stopped by the Sprecher Brewery on the way home from work today. This beer has not yet been bottled as they are waiting on labels or bottles. I'm guessing it's bottles since most of their recent stuff has been in silk-screened bottles.

Did get to try a small sample on draft. Surely one of their better attempts at an American style DIPA, and for sure better than IPA2 IMO. Nice Citra notes, but I still found it to be boozy. Not surprising since the malt bill is the same as the IPA2. I'll definitely buy a bottle so I can give it a proper review.

And oh yeah, who wants some?

[​IMG]

10. jakethesnake9z9z

jakethesnake9z9z Initiate (140) Mar 5, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Still never had the glorious Pizza Beer. Still at Discount? I will have to pick this up for academic purposes sometime.

11. nsmartell

nsmartell Devotee (429) Aug 17, 2007 Wisconsin
    Trader

I find it interesting that I never see or hear Sprecher putting out info on their new beers. It's always a secondary source.

Very surprised that pizza beer does as well as it apparently is doing. Remember having it a few years back and finding it very interesting.

12. chumsnards666

Deactivated

I think people mostly buy it as novelty because of how stupid the idea is.

13. forrestbetts

forrestbetts Initiate (88) Nov 29, 2007 Illinois

ISO. Someone please let me know where I can find this in Chicagoland.

14. mobius387

mobius387 Disciple (367) Dec 5, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Found this at the brewery. Will try it tonight.

15. mobius387

mobius387 Disciple (367) Dec 5, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Had it last night. Smelled pretty bad; very oniony. but tasted ok. not super citrusy as i was hoping, but a decent imp ipa. id pick their regulars over this tho (abbey triple, black bavarian, etc)

16. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Initiate (130) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

I saw it there about 2 weeks ago? im sure its still there...

17. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

Dankenstein is actually very good

18. chumsnards666

Deactivated

Compared to what?????

19. Wisconsinality

Wisconsinality Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2009 Wisconsin

To your avatar? GG Allen isn't for everyone just like beers. Some people aren't going to like what you like. It is what makes this community great.

misterid likes this.
  20. chumsnards666

Deactivated

I thought it tastes very unlike any iipa I've ever had.....

21. beergurujr

beergurujr Initiate (131) Oct 27, 2003 Illinois

Art Kubalek v GG Allin.Now there's a cage match made in Hell. Time to belly up to the mezzanine bar for a O'so!

Wisconsinality likes this.
  22. misterid

other DIPA's? not sure how to convince you that i like it and others may as well.

23. chumsnards666

Deactivated

Garbage beer, if you ask me. Pearl Street should be shut down.

24. chumsnards666

Deactivated

I'm going to go suck down a few BA Night Trains and listen to some Stryper.

beergurujr likes this.
  25. misterid

to each their own :shrug:

eta: ah, i didn't realize you were the guy who said he left Dankenstein behind every time. makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.