1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Sprechers' Hard Root Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by JDWalker, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JDWalker

JDWalker Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Is there anyone who would be willing to send me some this deliciousness once it becomes available next month? Will send you a package of whatever local Texas stuff your into.
  2. Jspriest

Jspriest Feb 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That sounds amazing.
    JDWalker likes this.
  3. JDWalker

It's as good as it sounds!
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  4. egrace84

egrace84 Mar 25, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

picked some up over the weekend in Madison. I had my first one tonight and thought it was pretty tasty also.
    4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  5. Envelopes

Envelopes Aug 26, 2012 Ohio

Really hoping we get this in Ohio soon. Just read that they're making it part of their permanent line!
    JDWalker likes this.
  6. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I love it when a plan pays off! Can wait to pop a bottle for myself! Better yet when we do a side by side of regular sprecher root beer with Sprecher bourbon barrel hard rootbeer! It will be epic! HAHAHAHAHA!
  7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

8. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

To me, tasted like an oak-aged root beer with almost no beer character. It was good, just not beerish in any way.
  9. egrace84

egrace84 Mar 25, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

lol is it sad to actually be looking forward to this :eek:
    Duff27 likes this.
  10. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thats because its ROOOTBEER!:) Its not beer at all!
    chardlogic and basickness like this.
  11. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Oct 22, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is this coming to Bienny's?
    SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  12. JDWalker

Kinda like when I was like 6 and we pretended Root Beer was real beer lol, Now I might finally get too!

They said that there will be only a limited amount of locations that sell it "At the request of our distributor" but hopefully they will expand it.
    brother_kenneth likes this.
  13. Siggy125

Siggy125 Nov 10, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Sorry if this offends anyone. But I tried this tonight and it was a total drainpour for me.. It tasted like A&W and a trip to the pharmacy. Really medicinal.
    xgeneralzodx and ET678 like this.
  14. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

1. It's made by a company that's pretty well known for making Root Beer.
    2. It kinda tastes like root beer.
    3. It's 5% ABV IIRC.

You might not like it, but that's enough for most people to drink it. I have no real love for Sprecher despite them being five minutes from my house, but I think this one is a winner (even though I don't care for it either, much like other alcopops/matlernatives).
  15. dvelcich

dvelcich Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

They do at least one other thing right:

It's number 2 now, but their Black Bavarian was number 1 for the longest time, and it's great.
  16. duceswild

duceswild Feb 8, 2010 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I had this recently with a few friends and really enjoyed it.

Would be interested in more if anyone has some for offer.
  17. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

They certainly do a number of beer styles well. I do think the Black Bavarian is their best beer. They do pretty well with most classic German and/or European styles. But IMO they are not very good at making newer American styles, especially hoppy beers. Citra Bomb is probably their best attempt to date, but it was still Meh for me. Given that they were founded in 1985, I think they got good at making was was out there back then, but I'd say they've had trouble evolving with the rest of US brewers from that era.
  18. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Jun 8, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Correct but that's basically the one beer I'd actually recommend to someone. The hard root beer is ok but I'd rather have a shot of whiskey and then enjoy one of their actual root beers (really good)! It has been crazy popular though, basically selling out whenever they release a batch.
  19. basickness

basickness Apr 20, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

i got this all day in pittsburgh
  20. basickness

basickness Apr 20, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

21. greg4579

greg4579 Jan 9, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Makes for a great rootbeer float. It seems to be around a lot of places in Pittsburgh, and priced best at Giant Eagle.
  22. atone315

atone315 Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

What are you guys paying for this out there?
  23. greg4579

greg4579 Jan 9, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I paid 9.99 for a 4 pack at one place and I think 7 at Giant Eagle yesterday.
  24. Envelopes

Envelopes Aug 26, 2012 Ohio

Any Ohio sightings yet?
  25. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

5.50 in MN
  26. watsonmd

watsonmd May 16, 2009 Georgia

Is there a reason why this isn't listed in the "beer" list for review, other than it isn't a beer? (Seems obvious once I write it down...) Not sure if BA keeps that tight a restriction on the listings... I suppose Zima and Mike's would get listed as well if we started letting in any alcoholic/carbonated beverage?

I was hoping to get more BA reviews of it before buying it. Found it locally, and also found this "DRAFT" review .
  27. TheBronze

TheBronze Apr 16, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

It is in Cincinnati at Jungle Jim's right now $6/4pk. Not sure if it made it to any other retailers around here.
  28. abitaman

abitaman Nov 4, 2008 Alabama

Currently available "on sale" at Hop City in Birmingham AL for $4.99 for a 4-pack. Yes, it is definitely sweet, but it's pretty darned tasty too!
  29. HalfNelson

HalfNelson May 21, 2013 Illinois

If anyone is still interested. I was just at my local beer spot and they had a decent amount left and I would love to trade for some locals.
  30. Circleo12

Circleo12 Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

My wife loves it. It is VERY sweet, however, to the point that I can't handle it. I saw it in Florida at the TW down there, and it is in Athens, GA, so it got distributed out pretty fast. I was originally thinking it wouldn't get out of WI, but that proved to not be the case.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!