Spring House Barrel Reserve Society (2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by DIM, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradC

BradC Disciple (366) Dec 21, 2008 Pennsylvania

Stopped in on Monday to pick up bottles and took a taste of the draft. Good, boozy, some cinnamon/french toast type flavor, drinkable. Also, their Creature IPA draft is pretty good stuff.

psbhockey12 and JNForsyth like this.
  2. SiepJones

SiepJones Zealot (554) Nov 20, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Happy New Years all!

As planned I opened bottles of Blood Lust on Christmas Day and then Premature Burial on NYE and wanted to report back. Both were very good.

Blood Lust - I wasn't sure what to expect with this one as I saw some of the reviews. I thought the beer started with a slightly bitter, dominant coffee flavor. That gave way to a hint of sea salt and pineapple purée before a warm bourbon finish. I was pleasantly surprised by and really enjoyed this beer.

Premature Burial - I was excited to try the beer touted as "Cinnabon". Very well balanced flavor. Pecan, Chocolate malt and coffee gave this beer a rich flavor and smooth body. The coffee was not as strong in the flavor of this beer. A touch of cinnamon and some vanilla followed before giving way to a bourbony finish. This one was excellent.

VABA, JNForsyth and tsfinn23 like this.
  3. bl00

bl00 Devotee (432) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Was that the Brett Bloodlust or regular? I still have a bottle of each sitting around.

4. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,990) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

5. SiepJones

Trader

VABA likes this.
  6. bl00

bl00 Devotee (432) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My mistake! I saw Spring House and got excited. Glad to see others appreciating them, they don't get enough recognition.

Would you all recommend the Barrel Reserve society? After researching I'm considering joining this year.

7. ShanePB

Society Trader

This year's SKULL has been an incredibly positive improvement from last year. The bottle prices went down, and the beers so far have been great to fantastic (in my opinion). I think Matt and his team learned a lot from the first round and made a lot of great improvements. I will happily sign-up again if they choose to keep this going!

psbhockey12, bl00, DrBier and 2 others like this.
  8. SiepJones

Trader

This is my first year and everything has been great. I've had some beers from SH in the past, I particularly enjoyed Big Gruesome, so I knew them a bit. I joined after I read Claire's responses to last years issues in this thread. The beers have been excellent, I enjoy visiting the brewpub and the only slight hiccup I had (see above) was taken of quickly. I will definitely join again next year and I have a couple of friends who, since I've shared with them, want to as well.

bl00 and VABA like this.
  9. ninjembro

ninjembro Initiate (193) Jun 17, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I joined this year despite having had bottles from the previous membership (awful) and seeing what people went through. It did seem like they were trying to make it right in round 2. Haven't been disappointed. Will immediately re-up for a round 3 if given the chance unless the beers just don't sound good/there's a huge price hike/they raise prices and keep the beers a secret/etc.

I think they hit a perfect price point this round. I don't mean this as a slight on spring house at all, but I think they are appropriately priced for what the beers are -- good adjunct BA beers from a brewery who hasn't quite started really nailing barrel aged stuff yet. Definitely a huge improvement from the previous round though.

psbhockey12, bl00 and JNForsyth like this.
  10. psbhockey12

psbhockey12 Initiate (114) Apr 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

5/18/16 email - "If you would like to order extra glass(es), please refer to the instructions below. The cost for each additional glass is $10, and you can order as many as you’d like. You will receive an email when the glasses arrive, and you can pay for your glasses when you pick them up."
    1/12/17 email - "Some of you elected to order additional glasses and they are available as well for $12 per glass."

Two questions:
    - Did the price go up?
    - Will they be held for a certain time like bottles or is there a window before we lose additional glassware ordered?

11. psbhockey12

Almost forgot ... @nikkikeasey

12. stakem

stakem Poo-Bah (5,736) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good questions. We did a 3-way split on a membership. I dont care about the glass but the other 2 do. I requested an additional glass so the others could be happy but I didnt make it down there in the limited window that was mentioned in the email. Does this mean the extra glassware we requested is now available to the public or just the 40 extra that were available?

In other news, over the weekend we opened the morning ritual and pineapple upsidedown bloodlust.

Morning ritual easily displayed the most maple character I have ever experienced in a beer before. It smelled like barrel aged maple syrup moreso than actual beer and while the taste was not so maple intense, it was still very evident.

Pineapple upside lustcake or whatever was just as enjoyable but instead of being dominated by maple, it was coconut crazy.

Both were good, would drink again.

sj3324, tommyguz and psbhockey12 like this.
  13. PDXAmbassador

PDXAmbassador Devotee (455) Sep 16, 2015 Florida
    Trader

I really want to try Morning Ritual, and I'm having a heckuva time tracking down a bottle. If any of all y'all members would be willing to part with one of your bottles (for a good return) message me. :-)

14. SirPutzly

SirPutzly Initiate (140) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

I can probably help you out. Message sent.

SiepJones likes this.
  15. nikkikeasey

nikkikeasey Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2008 Pennsylvania

Haven't been on here for a while. Seems like Claire's doing a bang up job of keeping things running smoothly! I checked in with her about the glassware price and pick-up time questions above and she said it's been sorted out by email. Let me know if anyone still has any questions. Cheers!!

psbhockey12 likes this.
  16. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (329) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Cracked a Premature Burial last night. Very, very impressed. Adjunct flavors were all present but not overpowering. Didn't realize it was 14.5% til I got through a glass. Woof.

psbhockey12 likes this.
  17. BradC

BradC Disciple (366) Dec 21, 2008 Pennsylvania

Picked up the 3/3 release bottles and cracked the Belgian Choco Truffle last night, boozy but really good. I'm looking forward to trying the Mango/Guava sour but the Belgian Truffle was enough to push me over the edge to re-up for 2017, looking forward to seeing where they take it next year. Also the Creature Lemon Drop IPA on draft at Hazel St. is pretty tasty as well...cheers!

18. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (233) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

In the same boat as you. Splitting this membership with my buddy in Ohio for round 2. We both have loved everything thus far.

19. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Since Morning Ritual and the Pecan beer, what else has come out? I'm splitting the membership with a guy out there but he gets the emails.

20. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Never mind. He sent me the email and I somehow missed it. Round 2 sounds pretty solid too

21. ninjembro

Trader

Sadly not gonna re-join. The timing just isn't good for me and the beers don't sound interesting enough for me to "tighten up" my budget to make room for joining. 2016 was a blast though, heading up this Friday to pick up my remaining bottles and glass!

22. Circleo12

Circleo12 Devotee (422) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

I was in the Inaugural Spring House Bottle Club, but skipped Year 2. Are they already prepping for Round 3? (Which I guess is technically SKULL Year 2).

23. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

I was undecided on year 3 until I saw this and my barleywine boner went crazy:

The Charming Grave Barleywine aged in Cognac Barrels

SiepJones likes this.
  24. ShanePB

Society Trader

Yes. The current SKULL members have until 3/13 to sign up. Then it will open to the public 3/14. They have also announced all the bottles to the current SKULL members.

25. ninjembro

Trader

This is the one that makes me sad I'm not signing up :slight_frown:

26. Circleo12

Circleo12 Devotee (422) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

Awesome. Thanks @ShanePB for the information!

ShanePB likes this.
  27. psbhockey12

Renewed my membership. This current round has been great. Looking forward to year 3.

BradC and JNForsyth like this.
  28. fire34fighter

fire34fighter Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Virginia

I know it's last minute but anybody close by who could proxy for me? I thought I would be able to make it up but I don't think so now. Will provide thank you box of aslin beers and a label.

29. Adrena1ine

Trader

I can probably help you out. Shoot me a message.

30. ShanePB

Society Trader

I am sure the members received the e-mail last night, but the first S.K.U.L.L. bottle will be released this Friday, September 29 beginning at noon. The first bottle up is Ultraviolence Imperial Milk Porter aged in Buffalo Trace barrels, which sounds awesome.

I am probably going to grab some of the NE IPA and BA stout cans, too. I am just wondering how in the world a case of 16 oz BA stout cans are that cheap? I wish I could try the "free" can we get with the first bottle before committing to pre-purchasing since that has to be done by 9:00 AM on Friday.

What do you guys think?

Adrena1ine likes this.
  31. Adrena1ine

Trader

I saw they were aged in Knob Creek barrels they cant be cheap. Was wondering if it was a typo myself.

32. ShanePB

Society Trader

A 10-month, Knob Creek barrel fermented BA stout at 12.7% for $84 a case of 16 oz cans? Sounds too good to be true. But, hey, if it's delicious...well, lucky us.

Adrena1ine and SiepJones like this.
  33. stakem

Society Trader

Sorry, I cant help myself. Its not really "barrel fermented" - if that was the case then that would mean the beer never initially went into stainless and subsequently would also likely mean less volume of finished beer due to krausen/blowoff from primary fermenting in the barrels.

Im on board with thinking this might be too good to be true. Are they really charging the exact same price for a barrel aged stout that is 2x the abv of the same priced ipa? Im in for rolling the dice on the stout, not so much the ipa.

I hope im just being a grumpy jerk and the stout is amazing. They proved they are capable of doing some greatness (at least once or twice) with barrel aging. I guess time will tell.

30 mins left for those still contemplating reserve/preordering the anniversary cans.

34. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (452) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Is this something which will be for society members only, or will one or both of these also be released for general consumption?

35. Adrena1ine

Trader

Pretty sure both. Being a reserve member just gets you first dibs.

36. ShanePB

Society Trader

I read the e-mail wrong. It states "re-fermented in Knob Creek bourbon barrels for 10 months."

37. kdb150

Awesome. When is the release? Any chance I'd be able to snag some next weekend?

38. stakem

Society Trader

I completely missed that in the email. Interesting choice of wording. This is splitting hairs but if thats the case I wonder what fermentables they added to the barrels...

ShanePB likes this.
  39. Adrena1ine

Trader

Pickups start Friday at noon. Not sure if its released to the public at that same time? At that price I cant imagine this lasting till next weekend but it depends what their yield was. Good luck!

40. kdb150

Thanks, and thanks for the info.

Adrena1ine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.