St. Patrick's Day (beer) rituals?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BCarder, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Fair enough.

2. H0p_Head

H0p_Head Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2013 Florida

I gotta have at least one Irish Car Bomb on St. Patty's day. It just feels right.

The proper way to serve it is to pour just under a pint of Guinness (to leave room for the shot) and fill a 3 oz. shot glass half full of Jameson Irish Whiskey and Bailey's Irish cream liqueur. Drop the shot glass into the pint glass full of Guinness and pound the whole thing at once. Cheers!

3. BigCheese

BigCheese Defender (680) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

I do atleast one carbomb, not always with Jameson but I often have Irish Whiskey at the house. I have guinness in some form (preferably a bomber of Extra Stout). A few Smithwicks. After that I have some of whatevers is cheapest at the bar or whatever people are sharing. St Patricks day is one of the best days of the year in boston.

And to the people who say carbombs are insensitive, do you look down upon people who root for the redskins too, whatabout listening to rap and some of the derogatory terms they use, get over yourselves.

BastardKing24, H0p_Head and joelwlcx like this.
  4. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

My family in Kilmarnock, Scotland had a very nice kilt made for me some years ago. I'll be donning that, my ritualistic warpaint, and getting belligerently Celtic with some of my more Irish derived friends in the spirit of camaraderie.

5. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (307) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

I am really into the food more than the beer on this day for some reason. Guinness is easy enough to find, but i'll drink whatever I am in the mood for...which sometimes is a warm guinness. Cabbage, roasted potatoes, corned beef are all easy to eat with many beer styles. My only ritual though is that I finish the night with a guinness, which is usually at about 4-6am. I try to stay up for the sunrise..but as I get older that has become more difficult (kids wear me out).

6. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (307) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

yes, it is. read the label.

7. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (347) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I'm not Irish so it's one of those holidays where I'm like, "Oh yeah, people are celebrating." Kinda like Easter.

I will take this opportunity to pitch the Irish Ale seasonal from Boulevard, though. Not a wow beer at first but I'm really liking it after trying it a few times.

8. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Poo-Bah (1,990) Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Society

9. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

The usual tradition I observe (but don't participate in) is to drink crappy beer dyed green while wearing embarrassingly stupid pseudo-Irish attire and displaying different aspects of public drunkeness.

Treezilla and BrettHead like this.
  10. Scaught

Scaught Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 Rhode Island

I'm not Irish, but Jameson is my go to whiskey anyways.

Other than that I (shamefully) just go out with my friends and get wrecked around Providence.

:slight_frown:

11. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,807) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Hey I resemble that comment!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  12. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

The same thing I do every night. Not pay ridiculous cover charges!

13. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,630) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Yeah, drink at home. To many idiots on the road that day drinking and to many really bad drink specials (green macro beer, car bombs and Guinness) oh the horror. I'll probably be reading something from JP Donleavy...some people might consider that a horror :slight_smile:

14. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Aspirant (283) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

Homemade shepherds pie, down a few stouts and The Quiet Man on DVD. A 10 yr. tradition

champ103 likes this.
  15. leprechaunandfatman

leprechaunandfatman Champion (824) Nov 4, 2012 Ohio

I've spent the past few years in Chicago for St Paddy's day and had quite a nice routine. Put a hunk of corned beef, cabbage, and veggies in the pressure cooker then head out to a bar for kegs and eggs (usually Guinness, scrambled eggs, bacon, and corned beef hash) before heading down to the river for the dying and as much of the parade as we could see until our flasks of Jameson started running out. Then it was basically working our way north from bar to bar for the rest of the morning and afternoon (with drinks depending on the place, anything from Carbombs to Jameson to a nice craft beer - but never ever green beer, can't stand that) before crashing back at the apartment sometime between 5-9 for dinner. This year I'm in Ohio so who knows what's in store.

16. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

No snobbery, it's just a bland, boring, mediocre stout.

#96 Tut, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    BrettHead, joelwlcx and champ103 like this.
  17. Tut

Beats the hell out of Guinness. Better on tap too.

champ103 likes this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Jason, Ball Square Fine Wines and Liquors in Somerville had a ton of it around St. Patrick's Day last year. As you eluded to, you typically can't find it around Boston (except for on draft regularly at Citizen Publick House), but that was one place I found it last year.

19. opwog

opwog Zealot (570) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Is FES available in kegs in the US? I have never seen it.

20. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Can't go wrong with Guinness during an all day drinking marathon. Incredibly fulfilling beer that doesn't get you too drunk and won't give gut rot.

21. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Seeing Dropkick Murphys for the fourth year in a row to kick off the season. If I were in IL I'd have a few Schalfly Irish-Style Extra Stouts, but since I'm not, maybe Boulevard Irish Ale or something. The GF found a chocolate cake recipe, made with Guinness and topped with some sort of cream cheese frosting made with Bailey's, so we'll probably try that out. Had real good success making a chocolate cake with Lakewood's The Temptress on VDay, so maybe we'll find a beer cake for every holiday. Probably throw a few Pogues and Flogging Molly songs on throughout the day.

Guinness Foreign Extra or O'Hara's may also make an appearance. Basically anything other than Harp. Anyone know any good Irish reds available in TX?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  22. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,804) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

just another day. too many people seek too many reasons to go out and get trashed for no good reason.

Rekrule likes this.
  23. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (789) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I've had the Brooklyn Irish stout a couple of times and came away disappointed. Over the weekend I had it, then a Guinness right after and thought Guinness was much better.

24. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

Drink beer and wait for Dark Lord Day tickets to go on sale.

ERRL710 likes this.
  25. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,067) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

I avoid the bars at all costs... I also seem to attempt to make a black and tan every year for no reason and always fail :slight_smile:

Fluke828 likes this.
  26. msanborn

msanborn Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Texas

I wish I could get some of the craft stuff I had during my 4 month stay in Cork, alas Trouble Brewing and the Franciscan Well don't distribute outside of a few counties, much less to the states. All this is to say, Irish craft brewing is getting a foot in the door and some great beers are to be had in place of guinness. If you want a "good" stout in Ireland, try Trouble Brewing's oatmeal stout. For the more Northern brethren, mattyedgeworth, I know you can definitely get ahold of Muckish Red and probably the Galway Bay offerings. As a celebration of beer, there's really a lot to choose from.

27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Well, after reflecting on this thread, I will avoid car bombs and move to black and tans...
    Oh come out ye black and tans, come and fight me like a man, show your wife how you won medals down in africa...
    (That's a refrence to the english army bragging about beating the zulu as they brought spears to a gun fight)

BrettHead and MinorThreat like this.
  28. michman

michman Aspirant (205) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

homemade corned beef. drink at home and laugh at all the amateurs from the suburbs that come down to the city. then i walk my neighborhood in the evening and observe the carnage.

29. MinorThreat

MinorThreat Defender (617) Apr 7, 2008 Nebraska

I could not agree more. I run a group of Irish Pubs owned by two brothers from Artane, we refuse to use that name in anywhere in our pubs.

MattyEdgeworth likes this.
  30. Fluke828

Fluke828 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2011 Massachusetts

It absolutely tastes better on the Emerald Isle...

31. Rekrule

Rekrule Zealot (594) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I treat it as I would any other day . Using to St patrick's Day get shitfaced and eat corned beef and cabbage just isn't me, and so contrived.

BrettHead likes this.
  32. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,238) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Drink the obligatory (fresh as possible) Guinness - out of the cool Guinness pint glass I got a few years back while in Belfast at a great pub while there on business

Maybe also have some delish Irish soda bread and Colcannon - mashed potatoes....yum!

33. MattyEdgeworth

MattyEdgeworth Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Northern Ireland

My man :sunglasses:

34. MattyEdgeworth

Sounds like yous have a bit of sense!

35. TastyDelicousness

TastyDelicousness Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois

A good buddy of mine @saemick hosts what we now call RSSIP, Replacement South Side Irish Parade. Here in Chi town a group of us would go to the south side Irish parade, get hammered and have a good time. Since the city put a stop to that a few years ago, we now gather rain/sleet/hail/snow & once in a while sunshine to drink in his driveway. The usual suspects show up as well as some new faces from time to time. We have the standards, Carbombs, Guinness, Smithwicks, and bottles of Jame-O. Last few years we have introduced mixing beers. We have tried to mix stouts with other beers in search of something different, i.e. Black and Tan. Always a great time and lots of great folks. That's our St. Patricks day ritual. Sláinte!

SAEmick likes this.
  36. marquis

marquis Champion (825) Nov 20, 2005 England

Some confused history here.The English Army fighting Zulus? Never happened.
    The quotation is "Oh come out ye black and tans, come and fight me like a man, show your wife how you won medals down in Flanders" , a reference to WW1. But the Black and Tans were Police not Army.

BrettHead likes this.
  37. MattyEdgeworth

Well the Black and tans where obviously reinforcements for the RIC, but a lot of them were WW1 veterans.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  38. Tut

I've been here long enough to know you are in a very small minority here, probably similar to the number who think Labatt Blue is much better than Pilsner Urquell, but enjoy your next Guinness.

39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's a reference to the anglo-Zulu war in 1879. I suppose I could have opted for the Derry reference, but maybe that didn't happen either... :confused:

40. Tut

Wow, we got all the way to the bottom of page three of a St. Patty's day thread before someone trots out the oldest and most persistent beer myth of all time. Was starting to think we might make it through without seeing it. :rolling_eyes:

BrettHead, rozzom and jesskidden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.