Stainless Steel Growler?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by chrisbokmuller, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisbokmuller

chrisbokmuller Sep 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

2. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

3. NJBeerNerd

NJBeerNerd Jun 2, 2010 New Jersey

Carton Brewing in Jersey sells that SS Growler and I really like it. Wasn't cheap ($30) but I think worth it and great to bring to the beach, poolside or boating. It's pretty crazy how much smaller they are than the glass growler.

ufmj and augiecarton like this.
  4. chrisbokmuller

chrisbokmuller Sep 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I saw that one, kind of pricey. I know Short's has one too, I think it's the same one that I posted the link to, but with the branding on it, and for $25 plus shipping. It seems like they sell out super fast though.
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  5. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

Yeah, most of them are pricey. The cheapest one I've seen is the $30 one shown above.
  6. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Oct 28, 2011 Maine

jsawicki603 and sirtomtom like this.
  7. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

8. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Have you all heard of this?

I saw it on Kickstarter first, supposedly they're creating a lid + CO2 cartridge that lets you keep the beer carbonated. I'd be interested in giving it a try and I've seen a few breweries already carrying the growler itself.
    Jwale73, sharpski and LostTraveler like this.
  9. LostTraveler

My growler now with some brewery graffiti. Love this thing.
    Nuwanda, MattNelson and dsal89 like this.
  10. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A coworker of mine was kind enough to surprise me today with a shorts stainless steel growler and it filled with Hopstache! My question, as I have never had this type of growler previously, how long will this last fresh before opening? and after the initial opening? In the past I have had various time frames with glass growlers and the caps causing flatness quicker on some than others. Thanks for your response in advance!
  11. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Keep it cold and it should be good for at least a few weeks, but the hops will fade like any other beer.
  12. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

always a good rule to drink it as fast as possible.

Once you open it, you should plan to empty it that evening.

Any variance from this leads to at best a surprise and at worst (and most often) flat beer.
  13. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A few weeks before the initial opening? Thanks.
  14. bigedct

bigedct Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut

Assuming it has not even opened since it was filled, it should be good for a few weeks in you refrigerator. Once opened, consume immediately, worst case within 24 hours, after that you'll notice a marked loss of carbonation.
  15. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Yeah I meant before opening. I don't have a SS growler myself but I've heard they can hold temp/carb better than glass in most cases. Flip top ones aren't bad but screw tops are the worst.
  16. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

For the issue with filling these SS growlers where you can't see how much has been filled, has anyone tried using one of those fishing line floats/bobbers? I'm imagining that you could insert one into growler before filling and as it fills, it would rise up to the top and float right into the opening.

I'm going to purchase my first growler and debating whether to go SS or not. I would think this bobber-thing might work...
    Bitterbill likes this.
  17. ncaudle

ncaudle May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I've never seen/heard of fill line on a stainless steel growler being an issue...
  18. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Dec 10, 2010 California

Breweries just fill my SS growler right to the top. No air that way.
  19. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

So when they fill the growler, do they let it sit for some time to let the head go down till they see no foam?
    If this is the norm for all breweries, then I guess there would be no issue?
    Bitterbill likes this.
  20. sirtomtom

Not really, at least not my experience. Fill till its foaming out the top and running a bit down the side and cap.
  21. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

Cool (that sounded delicious btw).
    From what I gather, pros outweigh the cons with SS so I'll prob order one.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  22. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Mine gets condensation on the outside so you see a line as it fills.

They also fill until it foams out the top with a bit of liquid.
  23. LostTraveler

I was pleasantly surprised when I accidently forgot a growler of Ed Fitz at my parents that I had opened and drankl about 2 beers out of. When they brought it back to me 2 months later it was still carbonated and delicious.
  24. antsmarchn

antsmarchn Mar 28, 2007 New Jersey

I was just in Oregon for vacation in June and bought the deschutes one. Was debating between the Brauler and Hydroflask, but settled on the Brauler. Although the HF is better insulated, after speaking to a number of breweries and bartenders, they all said the Brauler seals better, plus with the neoprene sleeve, it insulates it fairly well. The biggest selling point for me though was the new fresh cap that allows you to charge the growler with CO2.

Popular Mechanics tested the 3 main stainless growlers if anyone is interested.
  25. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

26. antsmarchn

antsmarchn Mar 28, 2007 New Jersey

It was pricey, I paid $50 for it. The only good news was it included a growler fill and our waiter threw in an extra bottle of the fresh squeezed IPA for me to ship home.
  27. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

My wife bought me a Fifty-Fifty vacuum insulated stainless steel growler as a wedding gift. Love it. It had some issues at first with the cap being too tight, but it's since subsided with use.

The nice thing about these vacuum insulated growlers is I can get a fill and take it to some place outside (party, bottle share, etc...) and it won't warm up in the least bit. I'll actually get a growler, put it on the kitchen table, and drink it the next day and it's still cold! Saves fridge space! :)
    jmalex likes this.
  28. morsetx

morsetx Mar 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Anybody seen a 32 oz. Swing top stainless?
  29. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

No, but Austin Beerworks has so far put out 2 different 32oz stainless Sputnik growlers with a locking screw top... they're pretty badass. I think they're gone for this year (they had them at the brewery store for a while)... I use mine all the time for fills of higher ABV beers. Nice seal on them too. This is the manufacturer who sells blank and other designs on their site:
    widespreadhop likes this.
  30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Thanks for getting my concern answered.:)
  31. c64person

c64person Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I really like my Short's SS growler, makes it easy to ship growlers to people, and since they are so expensive, I just ask the person to ship it back to me when they ship their brews to me (if they can do a growler fill with it, even better!) It seems much less likely to break, and holds its temp a little better than glass does.
    Nachos4two likes this.
  32. ant880

ant880 Nov 7, 2010 New York

33. JrGtr

JrGtr Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I just found one today at Williams-Sonoma on sale for $20. Being in Massachusetts, I won't be able to get it filled at a brewery, but I plan to use it for homebrews.
  34. Hardcore

Hardcore Jun 24, 2012 Hawaii

I've been searching for these and haven't been able to find them anywhere for sale online. I found some glass ones from Stone and Deschutes, but they're glass. Anyone out there know where to buy a 32oz stainless steel growler? Thanks
  35. jessilea

jessilea Apr 6, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've seen many 64oz ss growlers, but none that are 32oz.
  36. sirtomtom

37. robieobie1

robieobie1 Mar 2, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

TdLJg likes this.
  38. VegasBeerMan

VegasBeerMan Jul 28, 2007 Nevada

Fort George Brewery in Astoria.

I believe they sell them on their website; check them out...they look, feel, and play great.
  39. PookyBeerBear

PookyBeerBear Jan 18, 2014 Australia

A little late to the party on this conversation, but I'm leaning towards to 40 oz HydoFlask (or Firfy/Fifty) to take on a cycle tour I'm doing in the US later this year. I can fill up when I pass a brewery (my plan is to ensure I pass many!), and it should still be nice and cold for drinking at the end of the day. My only concern is that maybe breweries won't fill it, since it's a non-standard size. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of whether breweries in the US are likely to fill a 40 oz bottle as I don't want to carry something I won't be able to get filled.

My other thought is 2 of the 24 oz bottles they have, then we could each carry a bottle, and get different beers, or a tad extra each.

Anyone have other thoughts?
  40. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!