Stanky Stillwater Superhop IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davey-C, Apr 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey-C

Davey-C Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2016 New York

I just bought a 4-pk of Stillwater superhop and shared a bottle at a tasting. When we opened the bottle it smelled like a sewer! So we reluctantly drank it, and the taste was ok, but aroma was some nasty funk. Like funkier than I've ever experienced. After reading the bottle label and 4-pk package I saw no mention of "farmhouse style", etc. Reviews on BA make no mention of the "funk". Strangly Stillwater's website does not have this beer listed? I did however find another random site that described it as "farmhouse neo-tropical IPA".

So my question is did I get a bad bottle, or is this heavy-duty funk intended? If the latter why no mention from other reviewers or on bottle label? If the former have others experienced this with this beer specifically, or others more generally?

Also, in the interest of full disclosure my farts still smell like this brew two days later...

2. neckbeardahab

neckbeardahab Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 New York

the bottles I had were nothing like that and I wouldn't use the word farmhouse to describe it.

can't say my farts smelled good though.

DrStiffington likes this.
  3. CNoj012

CNoj012 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2014 New York

I just bought a 4 pack of this yesterday and drank two last night. The aroma I got was all tropical fruit and no funk, with the taste being the same. I really really enjoyed this beer and I don't care for beers with farmhouse "funk," so I would say you probably got a bad bottle. Mine were dated 3/17/16 if that helps any.

4. Todd

Todd Founder (6,270) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

PatrickCT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.