Starter Temp. Error

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by afrokaze, Dec 11, 2012.

1. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

So I just got a kit to make my first yeast starter (Wyeast 1056 smack pack) for my next batch, a black IPA that should be around 8%. While making the starter earlier today I forgot to cool the DME after boiling before adding the yeast, but I realized it as soon as I did it & put it in an ice bath until it came down to ~65 degrees. Do you guys think it'll be ok for brew day on Wednesday, or should I step it up again to make sure it's good? Or just get another smack pack? Thanks for the help guys!

2. america2021

america2021 Feb 16, 2009 New York

how long after boiling was the yeast added? you may have committed saccharomyces genocide...

3. afrokaze

Beer Trader

It was sitting for a few mins before I threw the yeast in, maybe 150-160 degrees.

4. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Nov 7, 2009 Indiana
    Subscriber

save yourself 2 weeks of worry, throw it away and start over. it's worth it to get it right.

5. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior May 21, 2010 Texas

toss it and start over. it's a small price to pay for both piece of mind and good beer :cool:

6. afrokaze

Beer Trader

Oh well, it's what I expected. Thanks dudes.

7. samtallica

samtallica Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

No need to even toss the starter, just pitch new yeast in it.

inchrisin likes this.
  8. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

150-160? They're dead, Jim.

9. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

130F is the kill temp for baking yeast. I'd think our yeasts are close to this.

Edit: Lesson learned. It's not the first time anyone's killed their yeast here. You'll never do it again. :)

10. afrokaze

Beer Trader

RIP to my poor yeast, I wasted your potential to make yummy beer.

11. america2021

america2021 Feb 16, 2009 New York

i'll dust off my cornet and sound off taps this evening. rip.

afrokaze likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe