Steady Habit Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by CTJman, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Good for us in CT.
    Hope Jon lands somewhere centrally located.

CTJman and skleice like this.
  2. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (746) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Kent Falls looking for someone, but he probably already knows that... (and that's public info, they posted on Twitter)

3. mattbrown15

mattbrown15 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2015 Connecticut

Well, it's clear the legal separation is now complete. Would not be surprised if the statements posted by each of them on facebook yesterday were required as part of whatever separation agreement was worked out. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it sure seems to me like he was pushed out. If that is true, that sucks. All I know is that Steady Habit will have lost a lot of customers when the dust settles, including this one.

Shyla987 likes this.
  4. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (104) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Love the part about that the new people tried to "ignore the nonsense." It's "nonsense" that comes from making drastic changes at a business and not being forthcoming and clear with your customers.

Anyways, it's great to see Jon respond on posts on Facebook saying he's getting brewing offers in CT! Someone's beer is about to get better.

5. xanok

xanok Aspirant (271) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

I don't know any details, but anyone that read the deleted Facebook posts can see he was pushed out, even though it wasn't explicitly stated. Negative vibe from those posts.

Also, I went in there a couple weeks ago and saw that Jim guy who is now the owner. I don't even know exactly what it was but I just got a scumbag vibe from him the second I walked in.

mattbrown15 likes this.
  6. Lupin

Lupin Devotee (493) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

They made a pretty passive-aggressive/whiney facebook post on either Friday or Saturday night this past weekend about how they had heard that SH was no longer in with the "ct beer scene" (paraphrasing). I replied to it to let them know that they should just the quality of their product speak rather than their owners. They were smart enough to take it down a little while later. Point blank, if the product is solid, most average drinkers are willing to look beyond stuff like this. Hell, I'm sure the majority of people who see this stuff on draft have no idea about any of the "drama" that goes on with most breweries when it occurs.

7. xanok

Society

I agree mostly, but I have serious doubts about the new brewer being able to replicate Jon's beers, let alone come up with new ones.

8. epoole3

epoole3 Aspirant (227) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts

9. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

10. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

11. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

Damn, so he accepted a position at a brewery and then two days later backed out and accepted a position at a different brewery?

beanoboy7 and BababooeyHTJ like this.
  12. xanok

Society

He's getting full reigns of the beer there. Can't really turn that down. Don't think Kilted Kinsmen could have offered that.

13. lic217

lic217 Savant (922) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Plus its open now and probably has a lot more capitol Not sure, but my guess is they were able to offer more. He mentioned his kids in the post. My guess is he could not pass up the opportunity for his family. A start up brewery is risky business. Glad he has a job to make money for his family. Sucks he had to leave a brewery hanging, but family first.

This is all speculation, he could be doing it for other reasons.

Johnct likes this.
  14. CTJman

CTJman Champion (825) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

I think you nailed it

15. bring

bring Initiate (85) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

May (or may not) be lots of good reasons why this is a better position, but to me, that doesn't seem to be the issue. The issue is why commit to one place, have them make a public announcement, and reverse field a day or two later?

I'm sure there is plenty I don't know, but it sure doesn't seem to cast a good light.

Onemoresolo likes this.
  16. lic217

Trader

Hypothetical: you have a wife and a few kids. You just sign up for a job and get a salary of 50k a year. Its a start up with a lot of risk. Then you get an offer of 75k a year with a somewhat established brewery that has more capitol and less debt and is ready right now to make beer (more job security). What do you do?

Edit: Family first...

CTJman, skleice and smutty33 like this.
  17. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (746) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

That's life, dude. He's looking out for himself and his family.

pjs234 and epoole3 like this.
  18. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

Awesome, best of luck to Jon. Steady Habit was obviously his passion project, and I think he proved himself with it and then some. Will definitely check out Top Shelf now.

ScottieD and CTHopman like this.
  19. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

This. When he was Relic telling the story he said his wife was pretty much paying all the bills and that he was really only making any money working at a Tony's. Doubt he'd want to go through that again.

20. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (133) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Anyone been to the new "Steady Habit" and tried the new beers?

21. MKozaka

Trader

I see a Strawberry Saison available - is this the Hooker influence or a remnant of Jon?

22. AaronF

Come that's not fair to Austin and I don't think he was with Hooker for too long but I could be wrong.

Austin was chosen by Jon and was his guy. I've spoken with the head brewer at Hooker and his comment was we have to make the Watermelon cause it pays so many of the bills.

And for what it's worth Jon was doing some fruited saisons and using fruit in other beers.

Full disclosure I haven't been back since Jon "left" and still waiting for the feedback, but that comment seems really unnecessary.

23. MKozaka

Trader

Don't be so dramatic. These forums are full of sarcastic and snarky posts.

I'll give Austin a try when he gets comfortable in his new digs.

24. Pisthetaerus

You might want too stop drinking at most of the breweries in the state if that's how you think. A lot of brewers got their start at breweries like Hooker, cottrell etc. etc. Larger brewers with distro are a major boon to the talent pool for the state's brewing industry. They also make quite a few excellent beers, the fact that hooker makes a watermelon beer to support their bottom line doesn't change that.

AaronF likes this.
  25. MKozaka

Trader

Man, tough crowd in here.
    I drank Hop Meadow when most of you were in Elementary school and their Helles is one of my favorites.
    Don't post or read if you can't take a joke.

jlordi12 likes this.
  26. Pisthetaerus

Don't post if you feel like wasting peoples' time with shit jokes.

27. lic217

Trader

Relax everyone. Its not a big deal...

Hooker makes some solid beers. I don like the watermelon beer, but if I was a brewery i would brew it if people like it. I remember everyone loving this wheat beer we used to brew. So upon request we would brew up a 10 gallon batch for people's parties even though we did not love it.

28. AaronF

Yeah I missed the joke part... seemed to be idle trolling snark. And again not fair to a young brewer tying to make his way. Now question new ownership all you want :slight_smile:

P.S. I was well over drinking age when Hooker was established.

MKozaka likes this.
  29. xanok

Society

I've been going to SHBC since they opened and I don't recall Jon ever making a fruited saison.

Bringing up their beer list here on BA reveals only one other saison with fruit, their first anniversary beer. That's hardly "doing some fruited saisons."

30. MKozaka

Trader

So I'm not considered an idle troll, made my first visit since Jon left. Got in right at 2 as first visitor, one couple and one solo dude came during the next 25 min. Met Jim and his wife, both nice and friendly. Sounds like W and Th hours may be ending soon, only about half dozen patrons recently. Tried everything on tap, grabbed 2 growlers of Emergence and 2 of Bunny.
    Correct me if any of the following is wrong:
    Stuck at the Bridge: sounds like this was a batch of Method that had to be re-pitched. Came away with the yeasty belgian IPA characteristics. Probably should have dumped rather than salavge.
    The session IPA: Think it was three hops, heavy with Amarillo. Over 5% so basically a Pale Ale. Thought it was very good, unrefined Super Session (that's a compliment).
    Tropaz: Equinox IPA. Tasted malty and muddled to me. Was only one small sample so hopefully someone else can chime in. Maybe first pour jitters.
    Strawberry Saison: Was actually quite good. Some fruit sweetness, barely discernable strawberry, nice tartness. Refreshing, should have been around 3 months ago.
    Emergence: Primarily Nelson, which is good enough for me. I'll review more in depth after full glass but sample hooked me.
    Bunny: Never had the original but sample was delicious. Again, full review after growler.
    Hope remains for the brewery.

Pahn and sulldaddy like this.
  31. MKozaka

Trader

[​IMG]

Here's Emergence. Bissell appearance. Huge white wine characteristics. Low bitterness. Mouthful is right on. Maybe someone will contradict me but this beer is really damn good. Definitely put up blind to other NE IPAs with Nelson.
    Will do Bunny tomorrow.

Pahn likes this.
  32. Ultra-Plinian

Ultra-Plinian Aspirant (296) Mar 1, 2013 Connecticut

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really liked their beers, but never the wait. I will have to sneak down there soon!

Pahn and MKozaka like this.
  33. MKozaka

Trader

Definitely think Austin has the chops to succeed. Jim the owner was gregarious although I am turned off by his FB presence (let's call it marketing vs hype). Pours still slow as in the past but definitely due to staffing. I was lucky to be early today.

Pahn likes this.
  34. AaronF

Thanks for the info. Cool on Austin, good to hear he seems to be getting it done. I'll have to get down there soon.

Pahn likes this.
  35. CraftBeerLos

CraftBeerLos Initiate (188) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut

How's Big Bad Bunny tasting? Noticed it's still on for fills. Don't recall it ever lasting this long. Still tasting the same?

36. MKozaka

Trader

Man, just when I heap on the praise.

[​IMG]

Not a reflection of Austin, just the owner.

Pahn, CTJman, Shyla987 and 1 other person like this.
  37. CraftBeerLos

CraftBeerLos Initiate (188) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut

Yeah saw that. Terrible...sigh. Feel bad for brewer that has to put up with that when all they want to do is focus on their beer. I'm no business expert but it seems dumb to market other stuff when your own brewery needs attention, unless they are getting paid handsomely for it. Still should focus on their own products and service first. Oh well, I guess he can do what he pleases.

PS - Most people don't doubt Fizzics as a product, they just don't care. Let Bed Bath & Beyond/Walmart handle it.

That is just MHO from a consumer POV.

38. CTJman

CTJman Champion (825) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Lol Chances are he's invested in that too or gets a kick back or just friends with him

CraftBeerLos likes this.
  39. xanok

Society

They are sooo pathetic these days.

Pahn likes this.
  40. Bignastyfrog

Bignastyfrog Initiate (106) Mar 16, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Had the latest batch of Big Bad Bunny. Was by far my favorite beer from SH, and now it was...meh. The nice coconut flavor was greatly subdued, and the base seemed less crisp. I'm hoping that it isn't a sign of things to come, but I think that's mostly just hope.

Pahn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.