Stella Artois Announces Midnight Lager

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Oct 17, 2019.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (976) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

STELLA ARTOIS® Announces its First-Ever Limited-Edition Holiday Beer called Midnight Lager, and it's Dark, Delicious, and Perfect for Festive Season

Because it's never too early to celebrate, the brand will release Midnight Lager on Halloween in America's most haunted town, Sleepy Hollow, with *free beer* offered to residents & visitors

NEW YORK, Oct. 17, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Who says nothing good happens after midnight? Just in time for the holidays, Stella Artois will introduce a brand new limited-edition seasonal beer -- Midnight Lager -- on Halloween night in historic Sleepy Hollow, NY, most famous for tales of its ghostly rider. The new holiday brew, a first for the brand, is a black lager with notes of Belgian dark chocolate and freshly brewed espresso, and will be available nationwide on November 4th.

[​IMG]

As a nod to the local lore of the legend's evening ride, Stella released a map of seven watering holes along a spooky route to offer visitors a first taste on Halloween - before you can get it nationwide.

Visitors and residents of the village can stop by J. P. Doyle's (48 Beekman Ave, Sleepy Hollow, NY) and The Hudson Anchor (222 Beekman Ave, Sleepy Hollow, NY) for free pours of Midnight Lager from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. If you can't make it to either spot, nearby bars will also have the special brew available for purchase during those same hours, while supplies last:
    • Set Back Inn, 33 Main St, Tarrytown, NY
    • EATalia on Hudson, 385 S Riverside Ave, Croton-On-Hudson, NY
    • 105 Twenty Bar & Grill, 120 Grand St, Croton-On-Hudson, NY
    • The Tavern at Croton Landing, 41 N Riverside Ave, Croton-On-Hudson, NY
    • The Grandstand, 197 Grand St, Croton-On-Hudson, NY
    "Stella Artois was originally brewed as a holiday gift for the town of Leuven in Belgium, so we know a thing or two about the holiday season and wanted to give a new gift to our consumers," said Lara Krug, VP, Stella Artois. "The rich taste of Stella Artois Midnight Lager along with the deep, warm notes perfectly complements the cold crisp weather and will be the brew worth toasting with this holiday season. We're excited to kick off our holiday spirit a little early this year on Halloween in Sleepy Hollow!"

The 5.4% ABV limited-edition lager also welcomed a bold new black and gold look - inspired by the midnight sky itself - and will be hitting shelves nationwide beginning November 4.

For more information, follow @StellaArtois #MidnightLager on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

About Stella Artois®
    Stella Artois® is part of a Belgian brewing tradition dating back to 1366. It is the No. 1 Belgian beer in the world and is present in 95 countries. Stella Artois is a bottom filtered, blonde pilsner. It is thirst quenching with a malty middle and crisp finish delivering a full flavor and a hint of bitterness. Stella Artois is best enjoyed served between 3 and 5 degree Celsius and should be served in the unique Stella Artois Chalice according to the 9-Step Pouring Ritual to guarantee a perfect experience of this gold standard lager. Visit www.stellaartois.com for more information.

###

eppCOS, Roguer, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,916) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I can live with this.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,882) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:thinking_face: Wouldn't it be, at least, the second? According to their own brand website:

4. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,627) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Sounds good to me. For what it is, I really like Stella. I'm also always down for a good dark lager.

5. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (82) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

2019: Year of the Dark Lager?

eppCOS, FBarber, Loops and 1 other person like this.
  6. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (151) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Following where spirits have been going lately, with all the "black", "midnight", "dark" themes

I've not had Stella for years, but would definitely try this

7. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Pass. Screw AB InBev.

8. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (393) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

AB exec 1: “what do we do when we run out of barrel staves for that excess Budweiser Black we brewed?”
    AB exec 2: “well, Stella could use another beer...”

9. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,825) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I will snag a few bottles of this, chocolate and coffee sounds good to me. With luck this will be full flavor and not watery. Curious if they get solid feedback if it sticks around.
    Cheers

officerbill and thesherrybomber like this.
  10. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (1,971) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota

I wonder if it will be more like a Schwarzbier or a Tmave Pivo (Czech Dark Lager) or just an often bland Euro Dark Lager. Definitely looks darker than a Dunkel.

bluejacket74 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  11. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,932) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Dark lager? I'm in to give a shot.

Bitterbill and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  12. EmperorBatman

Exactly what I was thinking as well!

officerbill likes this.
  13. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

New Belgium 1554 is fantastic and probably runs circles around this beer for taste. It's a black lager/ale hybrid IIRC.

14. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Dark Lager > Dark Lord

15. Doma

Doma Initiate (34) May 19, 2019 California

The good thing about the excitement about these "maybe good, maybe not" new offerings from big macros it that sometimes it brings to public attention some of these half forgotten solid beers which are already on the shelf.

Bitterbill, EmperorBatman and FBarber like this.
  16. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,154) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Wont lie...I will give this a shot... I love a good dark lager...

scootercrabb and officerbill like this.
  17. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,790) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Well if it is that black lager without the barrel staves, I am i for a 6 pack, that was/is a nice beer

GreenBayBA likes this.
  18. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

It's a Halloween promotion for a Christmas-ish beer. It's more a case of "holiday creep" than beer seasonal creep. They'll apparently go with either background pumpkins or poinsettias depending on their mood. Please keep Christmas out of Halloween, thank you very much. :wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GreenBayBA, TongoRad, Dan_K and 2 others like this.
  19. Domingo

Society

Got a chance to try this yesterday and I really liked it. There's no roasty bite on the back end at all. I've really become tired of roasty dark lagers, so I welcome that. It's slightly sweet and bready, but nowhere near Bavarian dunkel territory. I'm about to head into a beer-challenged area in the coming weeks, so I'm hopeful this will be on shelves.

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

On the Stella Artois website this beer is described:

“Filled with subtle notes of Belgian dark chocolate, freshly brewed espresso, and a pleasant hint of smoke in the finish.”

https://www.stellaartois.com/en_us/midnight-lager.html

Do you concur with the above description?

Cheers!

GreenBayBA and FBarber like this.
  21. EmperorBatman

I'm hoping this reaches Washington soon, but I know the stores in my area aren't good about getting releases like this.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  22. Domingo

Society

Um...kind of. When I think of espresso, I usually think of a roasty character. I don't get much of that in this beer. Ditto with smoke. I guess some of that might be subjective, though. In my mind I'm comparing it to the various schwarzbiers (most being American versions) I've had over the years. I feel like it's sweeter and more chocolatey than the majority of those. The finish is also less bitter. At the same time, if they're talking about the average US macro or international lager drinker, those things probably hold true.

GreenBayBA, TongoRad, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  23. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,752) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I lowkey want to try this, despite not liking Stella all that much. Curiosity compels me, I suppose. However, not enough to buy a whole pack of it. I'll wait until I see it on draught or can find a single.

Where to?

GreenBayBA likes this.
  24. Domingo

Society

Central Alabama. There's decent beer to be had if you're willing to hunt it down, but I don't really have the time or means most of the time. I usually end up buying whatever the best mass-market option is at the grocery store. The last few years that's been the Budweiser winter seasonal or Negra Modelo, but normal Stella is definitely around.

FWIW, I bought the Stella Midnight as a single at my local Old Chicago.

GreenBayBA and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,660) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I came at this beer from the opposite angle recently, so maybe that's why I'm coming down a bit on a different side. I did manage to grab a few singles to fill out a six pack, and was honestly hoping for a real treat for the price point. Maybe even lightning in a bottle, if you can describe a sturdy and reliable black lager that way. On that end it was a disappointment to me- drinkable and pleasant, sure, but the end of the bottle didn't leave me in the mood for another, either.

It does feature those roasty flavors, but in a translucent kind of way, and even coming at it from a Schwartzbier point of view I still found it to be kind of washed out.

I do get where @Domingo is coming from, and I can see enjoying this beer under those circumstances (like I've done with Yuengling Black and Tan in the past), but those situations are pretty rare for me nowadays.

GreenBayBA, Ranbot and meefmoff like this.
  26. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,010) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

+1 for this. I bought a sixer and was one plenty. I was hoping for more flavor and it’s not present.

GreenBayBA and TongoRad like this.
  27. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,932) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Just picked this up this weekend and have to say I really enjoyed it. I kind of expected to be let down, but surprisingly wasn't. To be fair I just drank it while decorating around the house and doing chores, but it was really nice. I'll have to sit down to review it later, but for the time being, I'm just enjoying it without giving it too much thought.

28. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (243) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I enjoyed it and worth drinking but wouldn't go out of my way to have another. However if given a choice only between this and regular skunky Stella I would choose this.

JackHorzempa and GreenBayBA like this.
  29. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (210) Nov 8, 2009 New York

“It’s just brown and water”