Stick with brews you like or try new ones?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Latverian43, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Latverian43

Latverian43 Initiate (123) Jun 10, 2018 Kentucky

Do you tend to stick with the brews you like best or do you like to order different ones and different styles so to try new ones?

When I would go to a microbrewery I would tend to sample as much different brews as I could.

We have had a flux of micribrewies pop up here in Louisville,ky and I have yet had the chance to stop in to any of them

Anyways. Cheers mates

2. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,673) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Both, have a fridge full of my favorites, but I’m always grabbing singles of new stuff to try

3. JLK7299

JLK7299 Savant (966) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut

Have to try them all at some point

4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,897) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

When it comes to beer I'm a World Wide Explorer.

5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,486) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I always try new beers, how else would you know if you like them?

As for style of beer, I do tend to stick to my favorites. I'm not going to try a raspberry coffee beer if there's a hefeweizen right next to it.

And we all have our go-to's and fall-back-upon beers - for me: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Guinness, Chimay, Hoegaarden, Moosehead, Franziskaner, Yards Golden IPA, Unibroue La Fin Du Monde,Victory Golden Monkey, North Coast Old Rasputin, Stoudt's Scarlet Lady, Pilsner Urquell, Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter, Bell's Two Hearted, Troegs Perpetual IPA, etc.

#5 NeroFiddled, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  6. Riff

Riff Crusader (774) May 12, 2016 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Both, though as of late it's been more leaning towards keeping a stock of old favorites and sprinkling in new ones to try here and there. I find after a long day of work that the last thing I want to do is explore all the nuances of a new beer and often would rather just curl up with a favorite to get to doing whatever I need in the evening.

7. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Aspirant (281) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've always said that my favorite beer is the on I haven't tried yet. I do have a roster of comfortable favorites, but a beer has to be pretty good to make that list. We live in a beer wonderland these days. There's more new/untried beer than anyone could ever keep up with. I'm always up for something new.

GuyFawkes, dcotom and NeroFiddled like this.
  8. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (1,510) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Premium Member

Both for me too. Always have favorites in the beer fridge, but I'm always looking.

pjbear05, LuskusDelph and GuyFawkes like this.
  9. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (553) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

All of the above.

Squire likes this.
  10. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,224) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

If I'm in a bar with a good tap list or bottle selection, I tend to drink beers that are new to me. If I'm selecting beers at a bottle shop, I probably go 50/50 new beer that I've heard good things about vs. a repeat of stuff I've had.

#10 Mothergoose03, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  11. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,186) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

^I'm exactly the same.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

I'm always trying something new. I don't have any stand-bys or go-tos. That said, I'd always have PseudoSue on hand if I could get it in 12-ounce bottles.

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,014) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

I've got an illness called new-to-me-beeritis. I usually pass over favorites, even those in my cellar, to try new beers. Problem is, I also keep buying my favorites for my cellar, so they keep stacking up, but are rarely consumed.

14. singletary

singletary Defender (662) Nov 8, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member

I am almost always willing to try new beers, but when I find one that I really like and enjoy will pick that one up again.

15. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Aspirant (242) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Depends on the budget when I go shopping. I like to try new stuff but if I'm in the mood for a pale ale and I only have $10-12 and it's zombie dust vs unknown well I'm getting the zombie dust. Meanwhile if I'm going to the store and all I know is "I want a stout or I want a porter" I'll just Google the available ones and grab the one that seems to have the better reviews.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  16. MikeyBadnews

MikeyBadnews Initiate (194) Dec 10, 2013 Massachusetts

Always try new beers. I think most of us are here because we decided to step outside the college party staples and expand our beer universe.

Mothergoose03 and rudiecantfail like this.
  17. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (365) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It was probably 90% new/10% old for my first few years in craft beer. Now it's closer to 50/50. Admittedly part of that is I've tried a lot more stuff since then.

18. Mvsmvs92

Mvsmvs92 Initiate (152) May 31, 2011 Ohio

I am in the range of 80% old and 20% new.What I find now is that I really don't need to search out all the new IPA's.

LuskusDelph, Mothergoose03 and tmalt like this.
  19. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (746) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

At the store buying a large format (6-pack, etc.) = tend to stick with comfortable choices.
    Go to a brewery = usually try half pours of different stuff or flights.

LuskusDelph and Smoky54 like this.
  20. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,331) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Keep trying new beers, brah.

flaskman likes this.
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,156) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

22. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,513) Dec 11, 2006 California

Im a serial ticker. Then when I get tired of the average swill all these hip breweries keep pumping out, I revert back to classics.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  23. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,897) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Ask me again next year when I've moved to a more beer centric place.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  24. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (435) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

I buy new for myself every time I go beer shopping. If I'm picking up something not new... it's for the wife.

I generally only revisit old beers/have go-tos when there's nothing new (and interesting) on the beer board at restaurants.

flaskman likes this.
  25. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,262) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

85% try new ones

brutalfarce, Harrison8 and flaskman like this.
  26. flaskman

flaskman Zealot (570) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

I am a big fan of trying something new on a regular basis. The only time I don't try something new is if it's just not there when I am shopping. I find way more surprises than duds. For me it's a large part of the fun of craft beer.

27. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (904) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I concur. Boff is the right answer.

brutalfarce likes this.
  28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,439) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri

I tend to favor new beers. When purchasing beer locally, either for the home or at the bar, I'll most likely order a new beer. If I'm in a social setting, I am more likely to return to a favorite beer.

When I'm traveling, I generally always order a new beer with the exception being if I run into something favorable that I don't get at home. Only two examples off the top of my head of repeat purchases I've made on travels are: Sixpoint Hi-Res and Yuengling's Lager.

brutalfarce likes this.
  29. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (3,708) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado

Both, depending my mood and product availability.

brutalfarce likes this.
  30. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

One mo' vote for both.

Last evening I was in the mood for some old favorites so I drank a can of Pilsner Urquell and a can of Victory Prima Pils.

Maybe this evening I will be in the mood for a new beer?

Cheers!

brutalfarce likes this.
  31. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (172) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'm a slave to new beers but always nice to go back to a tried and true beer you know will not let you down. Sometimes after hitting a slump of eh new brews it's nice to have the old stand by

32. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (131) Sep 11, 2015 Missouri

I’m starting to get over trying new beers all the time. While I still generally try new stuff, more and more I find myself picking up stuff I’ve already tried (and enjoyed). But it seems situational. If I’m picking up stuff to drink at home, I’m more likely to stick with old stuff. If I go out, I try new stuff.

LuskusDelph and BigIslandfarmer like this.
  33. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,278) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

Definitely both. The some of the new become new favorites. Yet I don't seem to decrease the old favorites by very much...

I do keep track of the beers we've tried. Pretty simple categories - would she or I drink it again (yes/no with OK as the "mediocre don't care one way or t'other" catchall) and within the "yes" category a favorite subcategory. I run about 60% on beers I would drink/buy again whereas she's about 20%. Of the "yes" category, I have about 8% of the beers as favorites, she has about 5%. I'm a little more black and white - my wishy-washy OK category is about 3% vs. her 28%. Further reinforcing my leniency (to a point) - my "hell no" is 31% while she's 48%. But she has yet to find an IPA she can even tolerate, so there is that...and no I am not gonna try and find one...something about teaching pigs to sing comes to mind...

Yeah, yeah...makes it sound like work, but it's no big deal to me and I enjoy myself. No further explanation required.

But the data tells me the right answer when she says "honey, why don't you pick a beer for me to have". The answer is NOOOOOOOO!!!!! It would be statistical suicide with about 75% of the 300 beers she has tried being in the No or non-committal OK category (which I know after 35 years (plus ten years playing around before that) actually means "no".

meefmoff, pjbear05 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  34. threeviews

threeviews Defender (600) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

@Latverian43
    I have loved the journey of searching and experiencing as many different beers as possible since I got into this game back in 2011. However, each "holy cow" moment has resulted in me purchasing more than I thought I would consume before the next "great thing" came around.

Now, after years of experimentation, I have (albeit recently) have really, REALLY slowed my purchasing habits. Firstly, because of what I just described and secondly, because I have found staples that no matter how many beers I seem encounter, never get old and elicit the same, satisfying response every...single...time.

Please don't think, however, I do not still venture out to breweries and taste their wares...of course I do! However, I will be no happier then when I work through the beers currently in my possession to be left with 2-3 staples and maybe 1-2 seasonal/limited releases in the 'fridge.

In conclusion, my beer exploration has subsided considerably...and I'm very comfortable with that.

Great topic!

Klister and LuskusDelph like this.
  35. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (488) Mar 19, 2012 California

Both. When I go to bottle shops, I tend to buy only my favorites. I try new beers through my beer clubs (SN and Fifty Fifty) or when I'm at a brewery or bar.

36. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (172) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Sticking with a method a few others have used in this post, I am typically around 70% new beers to 30% repeat beers, which is reflected well in my beer fridge. Those repeat beers are typically either seasonal cravings (right now, PC Pils or Sierra Nevada Summerfest) or style based (usually an IPA, Pale, or lower ABV stout). I stuck to one or two beers for a long time, and I really enjoy the variety now.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  37. Amendm

Amendm Initiate (154) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island

Both. Trying new beers is a must or what is the point of this site.
    I do admit that I have my favorites, usually for special occasions.

38. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,045) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I rarely buy beer that I am not personally familiar with. I will occasionally by a highly rated one I have never tried, but rarely. My adventurism is in the many tastings I have the opportunity to go to. This is how a new beer can work into my buying habits.

39. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,341) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I have been buying my favorites a lot and now only grab singles from select brewers unless it really interests me. Ive been staying away from the novel and going to more traditional styles. Not a lot of ipas anymore but i picked one up today im stoked to try.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  40. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,186) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

For me, revisiting my most loved beers is a fine line because if I go to the well too often (even as much as a sixer of same beer can do it over course of a week), I can get sick of them and recovering the taste for it is hard. I'm weird I realize.