Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stille Nacht Reserva 2010 - Where?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by yojimbo1, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Kansas

Has anyone seen any Stille Nacht Reserva 2010 in the area? Specifically looking in Snohomish Co.

2. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

you are going to have to talk to Special Brews. They are literally the ONLY ones in Snohomish that'll order that

3. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Disciple (346) Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Just saw Bottleworks tweet they had it.

4. mdaschaf

mdaschaf Poo-Bah (2,669) Mar 28, 2010 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

$44 a bottle a bworks.

5. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,408) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I saw that tweet too, had the same reaction I always have when I see a beer I've never tasted, seen, or heard of:
    Maybe I need to go buy this right now?!?! The price tag may have answered my question.

So in 25 words or less, what's the deal on this beer? I checked for reviews and found nothing (for 2010 anyway)...

NWer likes this.
  6. yojimbo1

Thanks. Can't make it until late tonight probably be out by then. Ill call first.

7. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

For $44/bottle at least tell me it is a 500 ml or 750 ml bottle?

8. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Disciple (346) Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Agreed. I only recognized the name because of this thread. There is a thread in New Releases as well...

9. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

2000 version is on the white whale list.

10. draheim

Beer Trader

So all I have to do is spend $44 (OK, more like $48.50) and wait 10 years, and *presto* I'll have a white whale?
    Sign me up!

11. mdaschaf

Subscriber Beer Trader

750ml corked bottle with a cap.

12. draheim

Beer Trader

A cork and a cap? Well that explains it.

13. yojimbo1

This appears to have been made in 2005 and 2008 so most likely they are up to quantities large enough where this would never become a white whale. Especially if its made every few years.

14. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (912) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The deal is that it's not made often and in the mid 2000's the 2000 Stille Nacht Reserva was probably the most sought after beer out here, along with 1999 Framboos. On a personal level, it was important for me to buy a few bottles of this as regular Stille Nacht, when at its best, is a really magical beer that is unlike anything else. The only other Stille Nacht Reserva that was actually sold was the 2005, which according to most people who had the 2000 Reserva in its early years, was not nearly as sublime as the 2000. The 2010 is supposed to be a clone of the 2000 I believe, whatever that means, and it's bottled in 75cl bottles rather than 33cl. I always hold any corked/capped De Dolle 75cl bottle in high regard (see the old "Mad Bitch" in 75cl that was freaking amazing and totally unlike the more recent bottles). So basically, there has been a lot of anticipation for this beer by a lot of people who were around years ago, maybe lucky to have the 2000 before it succumbed to time, as all beers eventually do.

FalconA and NWer like this.
  15. NWer

NWer Crusader (712) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

My sentiments exactly. My interest was tweaked also until I saw the price. That's about three Abyss for Chrissake!

16. NWer

NWer Crusader (712) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Thanks. If I get the chance, maybe I will pull the trigger - maybe not. Depending on how extravagant I feel at the time. :slight_smile:

17. draheim

Beer Trader

Same here—except substitute "drunk" for "extravagant" and "am" for "feel"...
    I've spent way too much on beer (and Christmas gifts) lately, now dreading the imminent reckoning with my creditors.

NWer likes this.
  18. yojimbo1

B-works is out. Damn.

19. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,336) May 12, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

A number of sources were saying 4,000 total bottles (360 to the US) - it looked like Bottleworks got a case (6), but maybe they had more. Most reports from the east coast were that select stores got 6 bottles.

I'm not sure what the story with the 2008 release/listing was but the 2000/2005 releases are pretty notorious. I got my bottle.

blackie likes this.
  20. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,627) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

OK. I now feel a little bit better about the pricing. That's still a lot more than what the 2005 went for when I bought it (in the 33 cl. size bottles), but I no longer feel quite as outraged by the pricing for this beer. Still debatig whether or not to try to obtain one.

As for the Mad Bitch, I'm glad to hear you say that. When I first bought the beer, some years ago, it was only available in 750 size bottles. That beer was incredible (only problem was that it had a tendency to gush when opened), and was one of the things I missed when I was transferred out West (I never saw the 750 bottles in the NW). So when I finally was able to try it again, in the smaller bottles, I remember thinking that my taste in beer must have REALLY changed, as it was nothing like the beer I remembered (same with the beer on tap - the current vintage just tastes so much different than the version available in 750 bottles). So maybe it wasn't my taste in beer that changed after all... :slight_smile:

21. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,336) May 12, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

oddly enough, I'm pretty certain i saw a 750ml bottle of this (mad bitch) on the shelf @bottleworks yesterday

FalconA likes this.
  22. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

Did anywhere else in Seattle get these or just BW?

23. mdaschaf

Subscriber Beer Trader

Unsure, but I heard someone say that the entire state got 12 bottles. Don't know how legitimate that claim is though.

24. ArchEnemyBrew

ArchEnemyBrew Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Washington

So 6 bottles for BW to sell at $44 and 6 bottles for BW to sell in 2 years for $88?

mikecharley, Smurf2055 and waltersrj like this.
  25. RantoulDavis

RantoulDavis Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2004 Ohio

I would gladly offer 3 Abyss (09/10) for an SNR10!

NWer likes this.
  26. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2010 Oregon

Where did you dig up this old fossil thread?! :wink:

distantmantra and Kopfschuss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.