1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Stochasticity Project (aka Stone Brewing Co.) Grapefruit Slam IPA Released

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by CassinoNorth, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Yep, paid $8.99 too. Was disappointed because Stone bombers around here are usually $6.99-$7.99 max.

2. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Zealot (501) Mar 29, 2013 California

Paid $7.99 per bomber (bought three -- two of which were for friends) in LA. Feel as if that's likely MSRP/RRP and anything else is a slight mark-up.

3. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (652) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Woody Hayes is rolling over in his grave!!!

4. Donco

Donco Devotee (441) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

I tried this on tap (just a sample). It was surprisingly pleasing although very bitter. Not sure I could drink a whole glass but for those who like that hop/citrus bitterness..go for it!

5. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Just picked up some at Total Wine for $6.99... Will be cracking it open very soon!

6. ClippersSD

ClippersSD Initiate (139) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Trader

Everyone got me excited to try this beer. Brought home and tried it. Meh.

7. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Sitting here sipping on it now and I like it. Not the best release from Stone, but it's good if you like grapefruit/grapefruit juice. It tastes like grapefruit juice infused with citrusy hops. Bitter, dry and easy to drink. Interested to see what else they do for these projects.

8. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

To me the grapefruit wasn't very pronounced in the nose but while drinking it I had a hard time discerning whether the bitterness was from hops or grapefruit peel... Ultimately, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Probably because I love hops and grapefruit. Will probably grab a few more.

JohnQ likes this.
  9. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

$8-$10 a bomber, im gonna pass.

JuniperJesus and mychalg9 like this.
  10. DrinkNoH2O

DrinkNoH2O Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

Tried this last night, found a bomber for 7.99. A little pricy for what you get.

Great, if maybe one note, IPA . It had the old school centennial/chinook citrusy bite hop flavor (not a bad thing) with an extra dimension from the grapefruit peel.

The interesting thing about the grapefruit peel was that it imparted a bitterness different than from the hops that my palate hasn't yet developed a tolerance/resistance for yet.

What I mean by that is I've drank enough hoppy beers that cramming in 10 more lbs. of hops isn't going to make me perceive the beer as that much more bitter (i.e. lupulin threshold shift, that whole thing) but since the grapefruit peel was a different type of bitterness it made me perceive the overall beer as being quite bitter (in a good way).

11. BennyBeer04

BennyBeer04 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Sorry.. wasn't impressed. No, no never mind.. not sorry.

12. shameus

shameus Initiate (89) Dec 23, 2013 Massachusetts

I saw it last night, and passed. I'm not sure what market they're trying to target (if any), but it looks like it should come with an Xbox promotion sticker.

MusicaleMike and JuniperJesus like this.
  13. fab80

fab80 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2009 California

Whole foods, on fairfax and third had cases of them yesterday. It is indeed VERY good, but nothing like Enjoy by.

14. JohnCassillo

Ah, thanks. Actually found at Beverage Warehouse in Marina del Rey yesterday (for those still interested, not much was gone yesterday of the five cases they'd received).

15. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Drinking it right now, just seems like a carbon copy of Ruination minus the dank columbus hops in the aroma/flavor profile. The grapefruit peel is pronounced in the aroma and in the after taste. Its good, but not worth the $1 MRSP increase over a bomber of Ruination. Great stuff regardless.

On a side note, this seems sorta BMC like of Stone to create an entirely different branding for a new series of beer. Seems like a move to steal more shelf space from other brands. I expect to see more of this from the bigger craft breweries in the next year.

16. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (314) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

What's the difference if the beer's label says Stochasticity or Stone?

So every brewer that brews a new beer is shelf stealing from each other. We're so over concerned about craft brewers caring about marketing it's ridiculous.

17. Joshmistake

Joshmistake Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Minnesota

Stone also doesn't put the "Stone" name on Arrogant Bastard releases...and AB wasn't designed to "steal shelf space from other brands". I could understand your concern if Stone or Lagunitas or Sierra Nevada were releasing their core beers in 6oz, 12oz, 18oz, 22oz, can, bottle, mini can, mini bottle, sippy cup, 2 pack, 4 pack, 6 pack, 8 pack, 58 pack etc...but they aren't. More awesome craft beer on the shelves means more options for us.

18. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (314) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Right.

I was a bit worried when Founders was putting All Day in 15 packs, but relieved when they said it was just replacing the 12 pack, not adding to it.

Joshmistake likes this.
  19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,773) Mar 18, 2010 California

I had this last night. It's a solid beer, but I guess I was expecting more based on the overall score.

20. DrinkNoH2O

DrinkNoH2O Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

Maybe it's just me, but I try to not look at scores before tasting a beer. That way I don't walk in expecting anything, good or bad.

jakecattleco and RBCORCORAN like this.
  21. jimmieall

jimmieall Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2010 New Jersey

Has anyone spotted this in New Jersey? I know we're always last to get stuff.

22. MiaMarajuana

MiaMarajuana Initiate (0) May 8, 2013 California

YES!!!! i actually just grabbed a few bottles @ BevMo in Santa Clarita (30 mins from LA)...Really stoked to try it! Time for a beer run my friend :wink:

23. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Devotee (441) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Anyone had it in GA yet? It always seems like we are the last to get new releases. Except terrapin stuff.

24. JohnCassillo

Somehow my later posts about where it's located and where I've found in LA have been passed over a few times. Haha... Beverage Warehouse has, and I'm positive most Whole Foods do as well.

25. JohnCassillo

Interesting take on it -- I'll be looking out for that sort of trend myself to see if it comes about.

I do think the shelf space idea here might not be the case, however. Where I've seen it, it's been placed to the side -- almost nondescript in a way, giving a nod to those who know its association with Stone. One store actually just left them in the box with "Stochasticity Project" stamped on the side, despite knowing the Stone association themselves.

26. lakeylake

lakeylake Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2013 California

Found some bottles at my local Costco (LA/Long Beach area) for $5.79 each.

27. alwaysplayin

alwaysplayin Aspirant (285) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Agreed--it was good, but I am glad I only bought the one.

28. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (755) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If you equate "BMC like" to more marketing, you are spot on.

These larger crafters are going to have to take off the gloves to compete on the national level--unique branding, more social media--they can't afford the $$$$ for advertising (yet).

Strong, small crafters with a very good local presence may have it a tad easier in that regard.

These unique offerings will likely serve as a sort of "national test kitchen" and I look forward to trying one at a time.

flayedandskinned likes this.
  29. Merle_Allin

Merle_Allin Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 Colorado

My store just got in one case and at 8.99 I couldn't say no, I haven't tied it but likely will tonight, I will report back with news then!

30. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (185) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

It tastes like a good IPA. I'm getting grapefruit and citrus, but not any more than other top IPAs.

31. Joshmistake

Joshmistake Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Minnesota

To my knowledge, Stone hasn't spent a dime on advertisements, sponsorships or any sort of "traditional" marketing. Unique branding...yes. Social media...yes. They might be the largest Craft Brewery that has never used traditional marketing. To each his/her own when it comes to marketing...the beer is the most important thing...although I'd much rather see an ad for Founder's or Ale Smith during a sporting event than some adjunct lager.

32. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (755) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Very few of the craft brewers have the national presence (or budget) for advertising for major sporting events. Right now it is a billboard at a baseball game or a quick spot on the radio. Founders doesn't even make it to your neck of the woods. Stone has one of the larger footprints but I think there is still a stigma that these guys are "selling out" when/if they did an add on a bigger level.

Their Enjoy By was a brilliant marketing maneuver and we'll see if the beer and concept here come through.

33. DerrickW

DerrickW Aspirant (290) Jan 17, 2013 Georgia

Had it yesterday here in Athens.

34. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Defender (681) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Any Illinois sighting, yet ?

35. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Initiate (117) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio

So cheap!

36. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (324) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

$8.99 in Western Mass. It was good, but to me it was just Ruination with Grapefruit added. It's also the same hops used and same alcohol percentage. I was expecting something sweeter like grapefruit juice, but I guess with the IBUs saying very bitter, i should have known. Still very good, but not outstanding.

37. Play_it_Leo

Play_it_Leo Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Colorado

Beverage World in Fort Oglethorpe got some yesterday.

38. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,363) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

9.99 is what I paid for it in Ohio. Priced a little high but I always enjoy these Stone releases. Won't buy it again but it was decent enough and the grapefruit was right up front. Not bad.

39. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (204) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Stone seems to be slow hitting the markets here in KY. I'll expect it in a month or so.

40. isaackaiju

isaackaiju Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Texas

local store says there getting this tomorrow here in TX, hopefully it's 7.99 like enjoy by was

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.