Stone 2010 Bourbon Barrel Imperial Russian Stout Label Approved

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by travMI13, Mar 26, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travMI13

travMI13 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

I haven't seen this posted anywhere on here, but I am looking for more info:

http://beerstreetjournal.com/2010-stone-imperial-russian-stout-aged-in-bourbon/

Anyone know anything else about this? I'm assuming this will be part of the Stone Quingenti Millilitre program, and I know all those beers are insanely limited. Pretty excited about this, and I really hope to get my hands on it. ISO: BB Stone IRS FT: My Entire Cellar.

2. Mandark

Mandark Zealot (575) Apr 8, 2008 Illinois

I'd buy that for a dollar!
    Seriously, that sounds fantastic.

Lantern likes this.
  3. nrs207

nrs207 Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yeah pretty much. Got some KBS I'd like to swap. Nothing like sending some awesome BBA imperial stout for another.

4. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

I'll be watching my stores for this!!

djbreezy likes this.
  5. mjw52

mjw52 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2010 New Jersey

They also got approved for Bourbon Barrel Aged Double Bastard Ale.

djbreezy, KevSal and Lantern like this.
  6. travMI13

I saw that, too. That sounds interesting. I would give that one a go, as well.

7. Devi0us

Devi0us Savant (1,124) May 3, 2011 California
    Trader

I'll be ISO also...Anybody know what type of Barrels they used for this?

8. libbey

libbey Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 British Indian Ocean Territory
    Deactivated

If this is the same beer they served at Brouwer's Big Wood Fest this year it will be fantastic.

If I remember correctly that keg had been aged in Elija Craig barrels and was stunningly good.

9. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Pooh-Bah (1,871) Jul 9, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

if this tastes anything like the 2008 Bourbon Barrel aged IRS, then it should be fantastic

JNewbs likes this.
  10. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

Yeah, it seems certain to be part of that program. The label is the same, and the size is correct.

A little research shows that you had to buy $1 raffle tickets for a chance to win a bottle of that program's first release, and then if you won, you still had to pay $25 for a 500ml bottle. Crazy rare.

11. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (1,133) Aug 28, 2009 Florida

Elijah Craig was the barrels listed for the 2008 batch they had at the Portland Internation Beerfest (SIB too I believe). $2 for a 4 ounce pour was one of the best deals of the fest. Probably hit it up a half dozen times on day one. :grinning:

12. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I hope they release this in a similar method to Ken's -bals so I have a shot at it.

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  13. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Pooh-Bah (2,837) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's too bad they don't release any barrel aged beers throughout their distribution. They certainly have the resources. You see much smaller breweries with much more limited resources putting out several easily available barrel aged beers while much larger breweries with more resources barely doing any at all, or making them tap-only. I could easily have cases of barrel aged beers from Olde Hickory, Foothills, Nantahala, Williamsburg Alewerks, etc. and yet I would have to turn tricks in dark alleys to get a barrel aged beer from Bell's, Sierra Nevada, Stone, or the like.

14. AndyAvalanche

AndyAvalanche Maven (1,380) Jun 16, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Well stated. There are now several beers on the Quingenti Millilitre line that I would love to get my hands on, but I really just don't see it happening. But I guy can still dream I guess...

15. cbutova

cbutova Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I always have dreamed of trying this beer but if it is part of the Quingenti series that is not going to happen for several reasons. This one is truly an elusive beast.

djbreezy likes this.
  16. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

So this is to Stone IRS as Rare is to BCS?

EDIT: Never mind, I now see that Stone's version comes complete with snarky, sarcastic description.

hefehead12 likes this.
  17. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Stone's barrel program didn't get priority, so it's rather small. One of the things they're adding with the current giant construction project is a barrel house, so it'll definitely get bigger. I don't know if they'll see full distribution, they haven't said, but it definitely seems like there will be a lot more barrel-aged beer coming out of Stone sometime down the road.

18. travMI13

That's good news. I hope they do distribute, at least somewhat. Plus, I think Stone would be apt to push the envelope with some of this stuff. That's always good for the industry and the community.

19. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Pooh-Bah (2,837) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

That's good to hear. With as many strong ales and high gravity styles as they make, it seems they could have a pretty killer barrel program. Now if we could only get Bell's to distribute Black Note like they do Hopslam . . .

20. khiasmus

khiasmus Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2006 South Carolina

This. Best beer at Brewvival. And that was seriously saying something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.