Release Stone 2017 Beer Release Calendar--No Old Guardian or IRS!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by dlcarst, Jan 28, 2017.

1. dlcarst

dlcarst Aspirant (238) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader Subscriber

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/release-schedule

Pale Ale, Old Guardian, and Imperial Russian Stout are nowhere to be found on the 2017 release schedule. Three stouts at the tail end of the year, but essentially all IPA otherwise.On social media Stone has said that they are not necessarily gone forever, but I'm pretty bummed that two of my must-buy every year beers will not be around this year. I love Stone, but I'll certainly be buying less Stone in 2017. I don't buy every new IPA that comes along, but I'll certainly find other barleywines and RIS to fill the void.

2. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (316) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Luckily people can still find both on the shelf at many Total Wine and Wegmans in VA, which is a big part of the issue here.

IRS has been due to become a $15/6pk for a LONG time. I'd probably buy 2 cases if they did that. When you can get 2cs of Expedition 6pks for the same price as 12 bottles of IRS, the choice is pretty easy.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,390) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Interesting. That's a bummer, considering I haven't tried either of those. I keep thinking I'll pick one up and then keep passing. It's an odd year, so it would've been fun to see what twist they put on RIS and Old Guardian.

I also like that Enjoy By will be released a few times, with the only funky twist to it already being on shelves (Coffee and Chocolate). Personally, I wasn't a fan of that beer at all. I want to see regular, delicious, Enjoy By return.

I do wish to try their Megawheat IPA. If Give me IPA or Give me Death is anything like the quality of the stout version, I will be avoiding it. I found that Stout beer to be mehhh.

As @Prince_Casual mentioned above, the bummer is these seem to be great beer staples, but they just don't sell. Everyone wants new. Even though I haven't had them, I can think of several places I could pick up some. Some might even still have some from the past couple years as well... If it was put in a 6 pack, I'd certainly be interested and cellaring a pack or two.

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,789) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Definitely those 2 will be missed.

Cheers!

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,732) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

That release schedule indicates that Stone Pataskala Red X IPA will be released this year (Feb – May).

This is good information since this was a point of discussion in another thread.

Cheers!

@GreenKrusty101 @StoneBrewingCo

StoneBrewingCo and drtth like this.
  6. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (96) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

That sucks. I've been looking forward to their IRS every year for over 15 years. I enjoyed every vintage they ever made of that beer. RIP

7. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Devotee (483) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I was REALLY hoping they'd bring back Espresso RIS for the odd year release :(
    Been dreaming of that brew since 2013

8. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Devotee (468) Dec 12, 2014 California

80-90% of the beers being IPAs...

9. BWood

BWood Zealot (580) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Can't wait for Mocha IPA to come around again.

MasterTea and SomethingClever like this.
  10. Hoppedelic

Beer Trader

I can't imagine this ever happening with Koch in charge. So this new CEO comes along and lays off a bunch of the team then trashes beloved beers to make room for more IPA. This isn't looking good for Stone.

11. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (512) Dec 19, 2006 California

I am really bummed about this. RIS is one of the all-time best. Unbelievable...
    Old Guardian is also fantastic. I feel like this is a really poor decision on their part.

GetMeAnIPA, Gemini6 and Hoppedelic like this.
  12. MJS08

MJS08 Initiate (138) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Subscriber

Agree about the two missing. Both weren't freshness issue beers. You could buy them with a little time in the bottle, drink them when you got home, or stash them for whenever, even years from purchase date. Meanwhile, the big boys are cramming fruit into IPA's, and flooding the market. I don't understand.

13. JackHorzempa

“Greg Koch, CEO of craft beer giant Stone Brewing, is stepping down.

Koch says he will assume the duties of executive chairman, focusing on long-term strategic planning for the company, handing off day to day operational responsibilities once a successor is in place.”

Greg may not be handling day to day operations but you can be assured that he was strongly involved in the strategy of a yearly beer release schedule.

Cheers!

14. JackHorzempa

It seems pretty obvious what beer style the Stone folks think is a popular (selling) style.

I am just a tad surprised there aren't more fruit infused hoppy beers on the schedule ala Sierra Nevada.

Cheers!

eldoctorador likes this.
  15. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (262) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I've always thought the Enjoy By series is brilliant. They are advocating (if I may be so bold) to the non-BA member. IPA or not, I think this series has done well, and might even be responsible for the changes in 2017.

Sadly, I will miss IRS. Fantastic beer I've bought every year for the past 5-6 years.

16. Urk1127

Urk1127 Savant (990) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It's also 80-90% of a ton of breweries options too. As much as I enjoy my favorites, this is why I jump at any new English styles or any reds and Belgians.

eldoctorador likes this.
  17. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (517) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader Subscriber

outrageous. end of an era. i put OG up there w/Old Foghorn and BF as the classic must have American BWs.

18. Patches826

Patches826 Defender (644) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I see Enjoy By Tangerine is coming back, but no Enjoy By Black. Poor SSR is rolling over in its grave.

Also, what's up with putting out a year-round IPA in bombers? Would love to hear the rationale behind that one.

JuliusPepperwood likes this.
  19. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (363) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Good. It's what they do best.

StoneBrewingCo and MasterTea like this.
  20. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,316) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Of course... Stone is finally back in WI and I miss the two I was most looking forward to enjoying!

21. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (46) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Do people actually buy Delicious IPA, I think it's their worst IPA and they are putting it in 2/3 of the mixed 12s. Also, all the mixed packs are 100% IPAs, dont see point, if I want 12 stone IPAs I'll get 2 sixers of the ones I like best since the mixed 12s are the same price per bottle as the sixers.

22. needs_more_dog

needs_more_dog Initiate (127) Sep 13, 2016 Arizona

what the shit?!?

stupid, stupid, stupid.

i have, for literally weeks, been googling what the odd-year variants are going to be, to no avail. now I know why I've yet to find an answer

guess i'll have to snatch up any OG/RIS I see. luckily have two of each '15 OG extra-hoppy and '16 RIS, as well as the 12th anniversary bitter choc oatmeal stout.

bullshit, all the way down

23. needs_more_dog

needs_more_dog Initiate (127) Sep 13, 2016 Arizona

the cellar-worthy stout and barleywine threads would like a word with you...

#23 needs_more_dog, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    GetMeAnIPA and jmdrpi like this.
  24. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (159) Jan 8, 2015 California

Sad. Old Guardian is delicious. Which reminds me that I still haven't found any of this year's Bigfoot.

25. Txex06

Txex06 Initiate (122) Dec 28, 2016 Texas

Just bought a Stone Bitter Chocolate Stout brewed back in 01/16 and a Stone Vertical Epic brewed back in 11/15. Does Stone age their own bottles?

26. zid

zid Crusader (763) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Unsafely assuming that Fruitallica IPA has fruit of some sort, that's 4 Stone IPAs with fruit (and on a separate note - 4 beers with coffee). I only know of 2 hoppy fruit beers in Sierra's lineup at the moment - Sidecar and Peach IPA.

Excluding the Abnormal collab (because I don't know what it is)... it looks like you're left with 22 IPAs, 1 "pale ale" :rolleyes:, 3 stouts, and whatever the Spotlight beer will be.

If we ignore Ripper, here's the list of IPAs:

Stone IPA (in 5 different packaging formats)
    Delicious IPA
    Go To IPA
    Tangerine Express IPA
    Ruination IPA
    Ruination IPA local variant
    Ruination IPA w/ orange peel, vanilla
    Hop Revolver IPA
    Jindia Pale Ale
    Mocha IPA
    Pataskala Red X IPA
    Ghost Hammer IPA
    Enjoy By IPA (in 3 different packaging formats)
    Enjoy By Chocolate & Coffee IPA
    Enjoy By Unfiltered IPA
    Enjoy By Hop Variant IPA
    Enjoy By Tangerine IPA
    Megawheat IPA
    Fruitallica IPA
    Dayslayer IPA/IPL?
    Give Me IPA or Give Me Death
    21st Anniversary IPA

Looks healthy doesn't it? ;)

The kicker is that I just posted this comment about a 2016 Old Guardian earlier this month: "This beer has rekindled my interest in drinking their product." Whoops. I spoke too soon. :(

gibgink, alucard6679, jmdrpi and 2 others like this.
  27. raticus

raticus Initiate (41) Apr 25, 2016 Idaho
    Beer Trader

28. Hoppedelic

Beer Trader

You could be right and if so I trust Greg did it with with Stone's best interests in mind. It must of been one of the hardest decisions of his life.

29. Donco

Donco Devotee (462) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

As long as they do Woot Stout, I'm a happy guy!

30. zid

Beer Trader

Retiring a barley wine and stout? o_O

raticus likes this.
  31. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (316) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

While this is true, no retailer wants beer they bought from the wholesaler sitting for months or years on their shelf, tying up money and space. I also think, technically, Stone wants anything over 90 days from bottling pulled from the shelf, whether its Enjoy By or Arrogant bastard 3L or anything else. I have some IRS somewhere in my apartment, I believe all the non-IPAs say "best consumed within 90 days, or cellared at 45o-60o Fahrenheit" (which is not achieved on a retailer dry shelf).

32. Giantspace

Giantspace Devotee (498) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Stone needs a new graphics person. The schedule looks horrible to the eye. Just keep it real basic so we can look at it and see what is what. Ughhhhh......must everything look like shit today?

Enjoy

alucard6679 likes this.
  33. Hoppedelic

Beer Trader

Yeah for sure. I know Greg is passionate about his brewery and these beers are part of the lifeblood that makes Stone who they are so having to make the decision to not brew them this year had to of been one of the hardest he's had to make.

34. rails

rails Initiate (145) Nov 8, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

They are taking a stand on Russia's influence on this last election. No Russian Imperial Stout this year.

35. dlcarst

dlcarst Aspirant (238) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Stone on social media was quick to remind that they aren't retired, just "not on the schedule for 2017," which for those of us who buy it every year, might as well be retired. My local store still has a few 2016 bottles of each left. I might have to buy all of them, particularly since I haven't found Bigfoot either and my access to barleywines is limited. I went looking for Bigfoot today and my local store had no Sierra Nevada at all. I know a few things were recalled, but I know it wasn't all they had. Someone pulled it all, and I sure as hell hope the local distributor didn't do something stupid because of the recall right when Bigfoot arrives.

36. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Champion (893) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader Subscriber

i'm greatly looking forward to some of these new IPAs from them. Stone consistently puts out great beer and I always buy stuff from them. Pataskala was an amazing beer IMO and i look forward to it again.

their beers are always worth getting and this year is no different. their Imperial Russian Stout is really good but their IPAs are damn good

MasterTea likes this.
  37. Tdizzle

I get that things change, and Stone themselves have issued statements admitting that they are trying to keep up with the ever restless beer consumer who may never buy the same beer twice (I couldn't find the article); but can some things please just stay the same? Why the f*** do two of their best beers (and two of the best American examples of the style) have to go away? Seriously, their OG Barleywine and RIS are insanely good; both fresh and with years of age on them. Plus, vintage collectors prize these gems and look forward to setting some aside every year. Discontinuing these beers in favor of more IPAs makes sense in terms of keeping up with young, fickle beer consumers, but it pisses off us loyalists. Not that Stone would give a shit about this, because obviously I'm no longer in their target demographic, but this move really taints how I view their company.

Selz202, jmdrpi and dlcarst like this.
  38. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (819) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I know this doesn't excuse the lack of IRS, but isn't it possible that given the popularity of W00t and Xocoveza, they'll have a few more similar one-offs? Maybe they've decided that their BA stuff (Bastard's Midnight Brunch, Xocoveza: Charred, etc.) is doing so well that the non-BA version can take a year off.

Tdizzle likes this.
  39. Tdizzle

That's a good point; but I just wish they didn't have to sacrifice these stellar "non flavored" beers for the ones you mentioned. Having a damn-near perfect non-barrel-aged or flavored barleywine and IRS in your rotation is a beautiful thing. It really makes me sad to think that those two beers are possibly getting overlooked by new beer consumers. My fridge and cellar were always full of Stone OG and IRS every Winter and Spring.

SeanBond likes this.
  40. zid

Beer Trader

Stone to IRS: :cool:
    "Just take a year off, it looks like you could use a little personal time to recharge. We'll leave a spot open for you when you return" ... and under it's breath, "As long as Stone Berlin is healthy and Virginia gets out of its prototype phase."

IRS to itself: :(
    "I can read the writing on the wall. Maybe I need to learn a new skill during my "time off" to remain marketable. Are there any classes I can take on barrel-aging or coffee/vanilla integration?"

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More