News Stone Accidentally Filters its Enjoy By 07.04.18 Unfiltered IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Rebecca, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca Aspirant (225) Jun 28, 2012 Maryland

From Stone:

The Stone Enjoy By 07.04.18 Unfiltered IPA that came out of our Richmond brewery was, well, filtered. Of course it's still super delicious and incredibly fresh. But it's the filtered version of the beer. Or call it "Stone Enjoy By 07.04.18 Un-Unfiltered IPA" if you will.

Each 6pk box is marked with a sticker designating it as such, so anyone purchasing the beer will be aware of what they're getting. All other states are unaffected and are receiving the San Diego-brewed Stone Enjoy By 07.04.18 Unfiltered IPA. We screwed up. Fortunately this kind of thing doesn’t happen super often. Even more fortunately, it’s hard to imagine a more delicious screw up. We can own that.

STATES RECEIVING FILTERED BEER: AL AR CT DE FL GA IL IN KY MA MD ME MI MN MS NC NH NJ NY OH OK PA RI SC TN VA VT WI

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,927) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

That's pretty funny! Better than not filtering a filtered beer though, right?

3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

That is cool to put out the video, no harm no foul it will taste just fine.

On a side note Greg needs to put on a few lbs, he is looking way too skinny for a beer guy lol.

Cheers

4. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I have had both versions. Honestly not enough difference for my palate to care. Good beer either way you go.

GreenBayBA and Rebecca like this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,326) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

New Stone sub-series: ENJOY ANYWAY

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,444) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Too bad, I mighta grabbed a filtered sixer. My state is not one of the lucky ones though.

7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (812) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Wonder if this is a response to NOFX needing a filter on stage? :smirk:

8. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,553) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Perfect chance to do a fresh side-by-side!

9. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,773) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I have to wonder whether this "screw up" was intentional. Stone loves coming up with unconventional marketing schemes. And look, it's gotten BA talking about "Enjoy By" again!

swolepeer, gopens44, Rebecca and 4 others like this.
  10. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (320) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

seems like a discount should be applied

PatrickCT likes this.
  11. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (417) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'd expect this with Enjoy By 4/20, being that 4/20 is often associated with some drug-induced forgetfulness... but not Independence Day

Dan411 likes this.
  12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Now all we need if for Molson Coors to release an un-unfiltered KeySTONE light. :joy:

13. rgordon

rgordon Champion (845) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

A new style: Filtered unfiltered IPA. Sounds like something that might have happened at the old Lagunitas.

swolepeer, Lahey and TongoRad like this.
  14. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Stone could turn this into a whole new set-up. Put out six packs with 1/2 one version and 1/2 the another. Seems like a great way to get people to buy and then see if they can tell the difference, etc.

Shanex, ACGypsy, Rebecca and 2 others like this.
  15. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (158) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

This is lowkey hilarious. Props to Stone for still selling it. I’m in an infected area so I’ll pick up a unfiltered and an un-unfiltered and do a blind taste test. Cheers!

16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,455) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Haha- I can see getting this one in my future, myself. At least they didn't compound things by putting the gunk back in after the fact :sunglasses:.

gopens44, bret717, Bitterbill and 6 others like this.
  17. rgordon

rgordon Champion (845) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Re-unfiltered filtered is soon to be all the rage.

cello, swolepeer, Rebecca and 5 others like this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,455) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

"We take what we filtered from a Barrel Aged Stout and added it to this Cherry Gose for just the right amount of je ne sais quoi that you can't get any other way..."

19. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,040) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Hey, we want some in South Dakota. We don't want all those micro-floaties that are in the unfiltered :wink:

LuskusDelph and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,640) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Maybe this happened since it has been reported that Stone "fired" Mitch Steele!?!:astonished:

Cheers!

Jaycase likes this.
  21. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (812) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'm sure that sounded WAY funnier in your head.

lanedlr likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

Premium

Until your next fallacious post.

23. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (242) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Harty har har!

24. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (416) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Trader

Link to report?

25. chrisjws

chrisjws Crusader (788) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

ISO: Limited Edition Un-unfiltered Enjoy By

You're not unfiltered

26. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (441) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

people are actually believing this isn't a gimmick?

27. nick_perry

nick_perry Disciple (339) Mar 11, 2017 North Carolina

And the Oscar goes to...

Maybe it's an honest mistake, but it seems a little too perfect. Nonetheless, I like Stone Enjoy By, so I'll keep an eye out for it here in NC regardless of any filtering mishaps.

28. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (217) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

With Stone's antics I can see why folks would think that this may be a gimmick. I highly doubt it, though, as you wouldn't have much to gain by giving people more fuel for the general, "See I told you the Richmond beer wasn't the same!" argument and the extra costs of stickers for the packs and tracking...

I think Enjoy By is good but overrated nowadays and in turn over priced in my area but if I come across a single or on draft I usually partake.

lanedlr and waltari like this.
  29. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,164) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium

At the very least Greg spun the marketing, but in doing so he did also say (paraphrased): you probably can’t tell the minor differences, and if you can, it might not just be the filtering (two brewing sites).

I’m not sure I’d change my buying purchases of Enjoy By, as they’re not tied to filtration technique - just when I want a six pack of it or not.

30. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Practicing for his apology to Miller?

Poor guy, he travels a lot and can't drink his beer. I'm sure he has no loss for good beer.

The more I see him on video and hear his voice the more I don't want to drink his over priced beers.

Loved the original IPA but at $44 plus a case not even close to a purchase.

Enjoy

31. zid

zid Champion (882) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Appropriate apology video* = 1 minute total run time

"Sorry for the screw up" + "You should now buy twice as much!" + "Come to our party!" + "And remember that not everyone is fortunate enough to enjoy this wonderful stuff" = 2:48 total run time

*Although "appropriate apology video" is actually an oxymoron in most cases.

dcotom likes this.
  32. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,973) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I call shenanigans.

Amendm likes this.
  33. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (440) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I would image Greg is more about the business aspect of beer then the drinkng part.

34. laketang

laketang Savant (958) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

Purposefully done perhaps

35. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (43) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio

Sorry. Not sorry.

36. IceAce

IceAce Champion (897) Jan 8, 2004 California

Does anyone else think Greg looks a lot less like Forrest Gump and a lot more like Mitch Steele these days? :wink:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Premium

Hmm?:thinking_face:

But Forrest Gump is a film character and it sure seems like Greg enjoys being filmed as part of his numerous PR videos.

I think I am going to have to go with Forrest Gump here!:stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

38. threeviews

threeviews Zealot (555) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

As far as Enjoy By IPA goes, clarity does not factor in my purchase, as I think both versions are equally sublime. Although I remember the Unfiltered version to be a bit softer on the palate, it was not significant enough to prefer one over the other.

The issue for me is getting some! Although Florida is in their distribution network, it is VERY hard (especially, when considering Enjoy By IPA), to find Stone beers that are UBER fresh. When I saw 6'ers of the last batch of Enjoy By IPA, they were just days from "expiration."

Like The Waldos' Special Ale (Lagunitas), Enjoy By IPA is quite volatile and loses its luster quite quickly.

With the Richmond brewery churning out beer, I am a bit bemused by the lack of visibility of their overall product line (as well as freshness)!

39. Jlabs

Jlabs Champion (829) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

Filtered, unfiltered..im pick some up regardless as its my wife's favorite beer

40. honkey

honkey Zealot (539) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium

It’s sad to see so people accusing them of doing this on purpose. I’ve noticed a trend in the last few years of people wrongfully accusing brewers of lying when they attempt to be transparent. I’ve been accused of similar stuff in the past and it’s incredibly frustrating to be open and honest only to be accused of lying. I wonder how many people realize the headache that this type of mistake creates when deal with distributors and retailers. Maybe this does create a sales opportunity, but the headache and the backlash from their distributors will likely not be worth it to them. Without any evidence that this is a marketing scheme, why jump on them and accuse them of lying?

thuey, raynmoon, lanedlr and 7 others like this.