Stone and Sierra Nevada brewing nxs ipa collaboration

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Ipaupaweallpa, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

2. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (158) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

let me be the first to say "all stone makes are IPAs".
    That said, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully the pricing in my area is closer to SN pricing than Stone pricing...

3. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

Gin infused bourbon barrels, Amarillo hops, count me in

4. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

I'd get a small pour if I saw it on draft but I'll be passing on the bottles for sure.

5. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I'm good for case!

6. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,075) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Don't always like barrel aged IPAs, but I'm sure I'll buy a bottle and give it a try.

7. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

sounds good to me.

re: stone releasing a large variety of IPAs, i'm glad for it. it's good for them to remind everyone that they know what they're doing with hops, and have since before the craze was quite as big as it is now.

Kuaff and ericwo like this.
  8. antilite

antilite Initiate (91) Jan 1, 2012 Florida

Looks like 22oz bombers only. Price guess, anyone? I say around $11.99.

9. lordofthemark

lordofthemark Aspirant (225) Jan 28, 2015 Virginia

These are two quite large "craft" breweries, presumably in bitter competition with each other as the coming craft bubble collapse looms. Yet they are doing a collaboration. How is this possible, since "craft culture" is dead?

rgordon, PatrickCT and Brolo75 like this.
  10. buckeye1275

buckeye1275 Zealot (506) Mar 21, 2013 Delaware

Should be a reasonable price. Stone and Sierra Nevada are usually 2 of the best when it comes to low prices. I'd say you're right guessing around the $12 price point.

11. Herky21

Herky21 Defender (684) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

I'm guessing 7.99. Also, I disagree that 12.99 is reasonable for a bomber of IPA. Common? Yes. But not really reasonable.

Lucular, A2HB, BRLockwood and 5 others like this.
  12. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska

Wouldn't this be a Double Barrel-Aged Double IPA? ISO

13. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

$7.99 for a barrel aged bomber? Not around here, Ruination bombers are like $7-8.

14. buckeye1275

This beer is a blend of 3 strands (that means more manpower and time) one of which is aged in gin-infused bourbon barrels (more time, manpower and money) another aged in whiskey barrels and the 3rd being a fresh batch of the IPA that is dry hopped. It's not just a simple IPA that brewed and bottled a week later. All these steps take time and manpower. that means it's going to cost more than $10.

#14 buckeye1275, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Donkster46 and StrappingYoungLad like this.
  15. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (279) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

Ugh, I feel like this is going to go the way of Points Unknown IPA. I wish they would stop muddling the flavor with all these different barrel notes. What does gin-infused bourbon barrel even mean? How is that going to affect the flavor? Has anyone thought, hey, y'know a cocktail of gin, bourbon, rye whiskey, and really hoppy IPA sounds amazing, doesn't it? I was excited at Stone/Sierra Nevada 50/50 barrel-aged vs dry-hopped DIPA, but then I read the details... :slight_frown:

16. buckeye1275

Agreed. Points Unknown was not very good. I still see it sitting on shelves all over.

17. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,774) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

Judging by the way they are showing it off on the website $14.99

antilite likes this.
  18. anonymoose

anonymoose Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2015 North Carolina

>barrel aged IPA
    why

hoppytobehere and MikeP64 like this.
  19. antilite

Knowing myself pretty well, I will do the following:
    1. Buy a bottle
    2. Complain about the price.
    3. Drink it.
    4. Like it.
    5. Buy another.
    6. Complain about the price.

20. DweJi

DweJi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 New York

NSX IPA??? 1st gen or 2nd gen? natural aspired or turbo'd?

ohhh nxs ipa...

21. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (192) Dec 2, 2010 New York

You wish Stone would stop trying to innovate and work with new flavors and recipes? Sorry, but that's dumb. Stone already makes a litany of 'regular' IPAs (I do not mean this as an insult, for the record) so it's not like this is keeping them from making the next batch of Enjoy By, Ruination, or anything else. They can accommodate everyone.

If it works, great, there's something else other breweries can put their own spin on. If it doesn't, that's too bad, but we're all still better off for them having tried in the first place.

EDIT: And I post this as somebody that thought the Green Tea IPA was revolting.

22. BradenMK

You realize there's a difference between innovation and just throwing crap together and seeing if it sticks, right? Like I said, has anyone here ever thought, "hey, you know what I'm really craving? gin mixed with bourbon mixed with rye whiskey mixed with a big IPA." I know I haven't.

23. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (173) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Maybe Sierra can teach Stone a few things...BAM!
    Should be a great beer though....

24. Herky21

Herky21 Defender (684) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

If you barrel age an IPA you should be required to lower the price.

25. IGaveYouPower

Miss me with the semantics argument. The point is this: Stone making a bunch of beers with odd/irregular ingredients does not keep them from making beers that are in their wheelhouse. "I wish they'd stop trying these new things" is a dumb statement no matter how you want to frame it, and frankly, nobody on Earth cares what BradenMK thinks about mixing gin, bourbon, rye and an IPA.

26. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I care.

fehrminator and BradenMK like this.
  27. BradenMK

lol, thank you.

@IGaveYouPower, I don't understand what you don't get here that opposing throwing four different variables together to see if it works =/= opposing innovation.

Dayman IPA? When it came out, I would have said, that sounds crazy and not like something I want to drink. I've never had it, but based on everyone's rave reviews, I would totally try it. But that's not the same as what's going on here.

Gin IPA? Doesn't sound that good, but sure maybe it would take off.
    Bourbon BA IPA? Hmm, also doesn't sound that good, but, yeah it could work. Stone's done it before, and it seems the consensus is good, not great.
    Rye Whiskey BA IPA? It's going to be a drier, spicier version of the BBA IPA, some people might like that.

So, yes, I'm opposed to this take on "innovation," whereby Stone takes all these unknown elements (or known to only work okay) and mashes them up together. We don't even know if we want a Gin IPA, but now we're getting a Gin-bourbon-barrel (again, I ask, what even is that), Rye whiskey barrel IPA...

Absolutely Stone and other brewers should be taking chances and trying new things, but you can't tell what's working and what isn't when you try three/four new things on one batch. If it's a great success, you don't know if it was a sum of all the parts, or just one or two that really made the beer sing. The opposite is true if it falls flat.

#27 BradenMK, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  28. antilite

You don't think they taste and adjust along the way, or they just bottle it and wait for BA to review it?

29. IGaveYouPower

You quite literally do not get a very simple point: You are opposed to an "innovation" that does not adversely affect you (or anyone on Earth) in the slighest. Stone has the resources, capital and production facilities to try a BUNCH of different things without sacrificing the output of any of their other beers.

If it doesn't sell? They won't make it again. If people can't isolate what element they enjoy but still like the beer? They'll make it again. There is no losing scenario here for anyone.

vileplume, Trojan713 and DweJi like this.
  30. BradenMK

I started out stating a concern. That this would be like Points Unknown in that it's a mess of different characters that don't really work together. I stand by that concern for all the reasons I have since elaborated on. You're the one that made that about me hating on trying new things.

No, it doesn't hurt me in the slightest that they decided to brew this, but I'm sorry, I didn't realize that here on BeerAdvocate I wasn't allowed to talk about what beers I don't like and about being excited, then disappointed about an upcoming release because it seems like it's going to be similar to beers I don't like.

31. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

I can't wait to try. Stone pushes the aggressive hops envelope and Sierra is always something easy to drink. Should be awesome

32. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

A barrel used first for aging bourbon (can't call it bourbon if it's not aged on virgin oak), then used to age gin because people are doing that to gin now, and then sold to Stone to age this beer.

BradenMK and neurobot01 like this.
  33. sAvAgE69

sAvAgE69 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2013 Canada

Thanks for the heads up on this brew. I can't wait to try it. I already gave the heads up to the liquor store that I frequent. Hopefully they will bring it in. Cheers.

34. qchic

qchic Defender (641) Jul 6, 2004 Maryland

I, too, was surprised at the the collaborators, being so big themselves and competitive, within the same state, no less. Lagunitas wasn't invited ;-) ?

I love all of the components, so I'll bite--as long as the price tag doesn't creep toward the BA Bigfoot territory.

35. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Disciple (336) Apr 12, 2013 Canada

I think @BradenMK is right. Stone should stop doing weird shit. Why can't brewers be more focused with their ideas? The answer is that these gimmicks aren't supposed to taste good, they are supposed to sound interesting. These crazy novelty beers are the beer equivalent of pumpkin soy caramel lattes.

What if they made a traditional oak aged IPA like the original Blind Pig or Ballantine? That was probably where the idea began, and then some asshole in marketing convinced them to fuck around with it.

36. antilite

No kiddin'. And Picasso was nothing but a lucky monkey with access to paint and brushes. Talk about weird crap. What a retard!

37. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,214) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I hope they distribute this in NJ!

38. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Disciple (336) Apr 12, 2013 Canada

Picasso's style evolved slowly, not all at once on LSD. Plus he stood firmly on the shoulders of his influences. He didn't throw paint at a board. You shouldn't use the word retard its offensive.

39. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

All these posts above this and not one that suggests this is the start of a merger between Stone & Sierra Nevada.
    The Chicken Littles are slipping.

Donkster46 likes this.
  40. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Count me in on the "I care" camp also. I totally agree with Braden; however, I'll probably pick up a bottle when I see it.

BradenMK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.