Stone Brewing Perfects Big Flavor at Low ABV; Introducing Stone Neverending Haze IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,906) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

The first of three trial beers in the 2020 Stone Pilot Series Program

ESCONDIDO, CA (January 6, 2020) - There’s a lot ‘neverending’ about IPAs at Stone. Beginning with Stone IPA being one of the very first and most popular West Coast style IPAs on the planet, to the company’s celebrated explorations of double IPAs, fruited IPAs and ultra-fresh triple IPAs. But drinking a bold, badass Stone beer at 4% ABV has been nothing more than a hallucination, until now. Stone Brewing announces the release of Stone Neverending Haze IPA, a low-ABV IPA delivering a triumphantly bold hit of flavor.

There’s no blowing smoke here – this beer is something special. It’s the haziest you’ve seen from Stone. It’s uncharacteristically low in alcohol and the team’s brewers nailed the trifecta by delivering that intense flavor that is uniquely Stone. The sum of the parts is a neverending good time. What’s more, this beer is the first in the 2020 Stone Pilot Series Program, a trio of special releases on trial for placement in Stone’s full-time lineup of beers.

Visibly hazy and golden orange, Stone Neverending Haze IPA lets off dank aromas of orange peel along with floral notes. Citrus flavors of orange and lime are intense up front, followed by oats, pineapple, star fruit and sweet strawberry preserves. Like all well-executed hazy IPAs, it’s pleasantly weighty on the palate thanks to the addition of roasted malts and oats. The finish is dry with the slightest bitterness (lest Stone ever forget its roots) and just the right tangy tartness to refresh and implore another sip.

So how did the team dream up such a soul manifesting experience? Alongside mad skills, credit is due to none other than… the yeast. Senior Manager of Small Batch Brewing & Innovation Steve Gonzalez has been experimenting with different yeast strains for years and recently employed a centuries-old, but recently available Norwegian strain called Voss Kveik, which produces intense orange citrus notes that complement the intense fruit aromas and flavors of Mosaic and Citra hops. It’s a total trip.

Stone Neverending Haze IPA is a special release beer available in 12oz six-pack and 12-pack cans and on draft beginning the week of December 16, 2019 in California and January 1, 2020 nationwide. So, while there’s a lot of talk about the good times neverending, this beer will peace out in a matter of months – unless it earns enough love for that coveted year-round spot.

Name: Stone Neverending Haze IPA
    Release Date:
    California: Week of December 16, 2019
    National: Week of January 1, 2020
    Web: https://www.stonebrewing.com/neverendinghaze
    Stats: 4% ABV
    Availability: Stone Pilot Series Special Release
    Packaging: 12oz six-pack cans, 12oz 12-pack cans & draft
    Find Beer: https://find.stonebrewing.com

###

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/454790/

2. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (39) Dec 5, 2019

Nice packaging. I'll be test driving this one

3. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (357) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

4%, hazed out, kveik fermented IPA? This is the first Stone beer I've been genuinely excited to try in at least five years.

4. zid

zid Meyvn (1,381) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Answer: We looked at the market.

5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,142) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I’m totally in.

A regular New England IPA won’t get my attention, but a 4% one will. Very curious if this will pack a decent flavor punch. And obviously the yeast choice is interesting too.

I’ll definitely grab a full six pack right off the bat, because even if I don’t like it, I don’t mind having a 4% beer for sessioning in my fridge.

mikeinportc, KRug, RyanK252 and 4 others like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,990) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I quite enjoy *Deschutes Wowza! and Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty, both also at 4%abv, so I will try it if I see it.

* A hazy Pale Ale.

mikeinportc likes this.
  7. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (319) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I did a Total Wine search, and it showed in Raleigh, NC. $11.99 for a sixer. Hope that's wrong.

meanmutt likes this.
  8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,381) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

You enjoy “sessioning” beers you don’t like? You’re a glutton for punishment. :wink:

mikeinportc, KRug, Coronaeus and 4 others like this.
  9. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (752) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

At that price I’m out. I loved Stone GO To , I paid $10-11 for a 6x16 package.

I really like mosaic too but can’t go $12 on a 6 of this style.

I will see what’s still around once January is over and try to find a single. Staying away from beer stores during my dry January.

Enjoy

RyanK252 and meanmutt like this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,142) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Ha.

Well, if I have to drink a beer I don’t love, it’s better to have it be 4% than 10%. I can only drink so many beers in a session, and that 10% beer would put a much bigger dent in the amount of drinking I can do that day.

11. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,536) Dec 25, 2003 California

So just another over hopped beer from Stone?

They have gone downhill since the Epic series ended.

12. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Champion (864) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Tried a nice handful of kveik yeast brewed IPAs and their not my thing. Always have a spicey/hot burn to them. Not a fan. I will try a single if I stumble across one. Not holding my breath... :beers:

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,318) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Stone could just as well rename the company to IPA Brewing Co. and considering how the Beer Geek crowd continually seems to 'double down' here why not?

Cheers!

14. oldbean

Maybe the most universe-brain take I've ever seen on this website.

15. beerwego

To be fair, the complete IPA/PA lineup is becoming popular among many brewers. I blame all of you for creating this disturbingly boring demand.

Ranbot and officerbill like this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,990) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

You know, the only problem that I have with Stone is their using the word "perfects".
    Shrugs.

17. arivers

arivers Initiate (32) Mar 22, 2011 Colorado

Seems like others usually mention the carb count and calories... don't see these listed for this one, I wonder what they clock in at

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (134) Jan 8, 2015 California

I recently saw that Firestone Walker has introduced a hazy pale at 4% and low(er) calories as well. I stopped to look at it, but did not buy. Low(er) calorie beers are obviously in demand at the moment.

Bitterbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  19. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (128) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

35 IBU is shockingly low for Stone. Nice to see.

KRug likes this.
  20. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,334) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

A local brewery, SingleSpeed, did a pale ale (Arctic Fox) with Hornindal Kveik and hopped it with Cascade, Chinook, and Denali hops. The tropical fruit flavors were insane. I'm looking forward to trying Neverending Haze to see how it compares in terms of flavor.

21. oldbean

I feel like marketing something on a low number of calories carries a subtle implication that it's not as good as it would be with the calories. I think they're trying to push the idea that 4% is itself a desirable feature of the beer rather than a necessary tradeoff for calorie reduction. Which I think is basically true and a good idea because if you're marketing on calories first you're going to lose to hard seltzer every time.

22. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,807) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I like these beers for when I have a party at my house, I don't need to worry about someone slamming down multiple full strength IPA's and then wanting to cut out. I have had the Bud/Miller crowd get in the wrong cooler before and not do a good job of handling the ABV differences. If it is good, I would be willing to pay a few more bucks for it

23. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (340) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I picked up a sixer and drank a couple last night. In general, this “style” of low-abv modern hoppy beer is right up my alley.

The pour on this one is really ugly in my opinion. Its an opaque brownish orange, it basically looks like a glass full of trub. It drinks pretty nice though. Its *very* yeast-forward and not as light and crisp as I would like, but it has some good citrus flavors and will do if a better option for a low-abv ipa is not available.

I don’t know much about specific yeast strains but I feel like I’ve had beers in this vein before. I think I prefer other yeast strains but if you like chewy beers (I don’t) this is definitely worth picking up.

mikeinportc and AlcahueteJ like this.
  24. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (134) Jan 8, 2015 California

Firestone Walker just published their page on Flyjack

High on flavor, low on regret. Just 96 Cal. 5 Carbs.

Everything you want from a hazy IPA with nothing to weigh you down. Citrus, hazy, crisp. This is Flyjack, Firestone Walker's new 96-calorie beer. Maximum flavor, minimal calories, no compromises.
    https://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/flyjack

25. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (261) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

For those of you that have had this (and/or Flyjack), are they similar to what we’ve typically seen from session IPAs? Or are they rounder, more balanced?

If they are at all similar to the current version of Lagunitas Daytime I’m not interested at all.

26. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (184) Oct 6, 2004 California

I understand your point, but...if I have non-craft drinkers coming to a party, why would I spend the money on this beer if they would just be as happy drinking BMC? If the price point was even close to comparable I'd consider it, but at $12/6pk I'd just make better cooler signage.

27. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,633) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

It really does feel like the largish regional breweries are just copying one another.
    I'm surprised they didn't announce a seltzer at the same time.

28. JackHorzempa

Society

Give them a few months. They probably are waiting until the distribution of Bud Light Seltzer and Corona Seltzer paves the way here?

Cheers!

29. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,807) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Not a signage issue, when they decide they want to try the other beer that everyone is drinking, they know when they pick it up it isn't BMC. They see everyone else drinking it and want to give it a go. First time craft drinkers usually have no idea how to manage their ABV.

30. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (184) Oct 6, 2004 California

Fair point, I hadn't thought of it as more of a gateway beer. The ABV management is definitely a real thing when it comes to introducing BMC drinkers to craft.

mikeinportc and KRug like this.
  31. Giantspace

Original daytime in bottles was really good. This new canned version is bad, and I like low ABV “IPA”

Enjoy

Hoos78 likes this.
  32. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (361) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Bought a six pack of this yesterday based on this thread. Price point was very high for a Stone beer. $14 in NYC. I haven't actually bought any of their products since they started adding political conjecture to their branding.

The color is not enticing at all. Dark burnt orange light brown. As @beernuts mentioned this looks like a glass of trub.

Aroma is supple fresh fruit, orange peel. Taste is pretty close to the aroma with a nice soft but subtle peppery finish. Pretty good for a shelf beer bought at room temperature. Texture is somewhat heavy for 4%, but not hoppy wheat beer thick, which I despise (when breweries add vast amount of wheat to achieve haze, instead using oats and dry hopping).

I probably wouldn't buy this again because of the price point, but I will certainly enjoy this six pack.

This to me is a good alternative when my local breweries aren't offering any session ales this week or if I don't feel like driving more than 10 miles to find stuff that I usually seek out (Industrial Arts Pocket Wrench, Abomination Bro Beer, Lawson's Super Session, Carton Boat).

Found this beer at a chain supermarket 1 mile away via the beer finder page on the Stone website.

33. Giantspace

Well it’s here. I just saw a commercial for Bud Light Seltzer

Enjoy

mikeinportc likes this.
  34. JackHorzempa

Society

I have seen different 'versions' over the past week or so.

I just gotta say that even compared to some stupid AAL commercials of the recent past these Bud Light Seltzer commercials are the worst. :grimacing:

Cheers!

KRug, jakecattleco and Bitterbill like this.
  35. beerwego

This beer will not be $14.00 in most parts of NY. Unless you are buying at Whole Foods in NYC (read Manhattan) you are likely bent over a barrel.

36. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (361) Sep 19, 2013 New York

This was at Key Foods in a moderate to low rent neighborhood. It's a smaller budget orientated local supermarket chain. Makes me wonder how much their distributor is charging them for it. We don't actually have any Whole Foods in Queens.

37. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,502) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Which admittedly, is a very high bar (and by the way, I couldn't agree more).

It really made me wonder how into this AB-InBev is. Even the stupid Mich ultra commercials are better than this.

jakecattleco and JackHorzempa like this.
  38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,019) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

As a non brewer with no relevant knowledge at all, every Session IPA I’ve had I could take or leave, mostly leave. They tend to be an unbalanced mess of a beer that is along the lines of hoppy water. Want lower abv you lower the sugars, and the hops clean the plaque off your teeth. But this one looks different the IBUs are 35 which is minuscule for any ipa, while maintaining the fruit, so how you lower the abv while maintaining balance seems contradictory. Stone makes good beers so imo it’s worth a shot, split a six with a friend. Hope it’s that good, always a place for a low abv beers that’s actually good.

39. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (256) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I passed right by this at the $12.49 I saw it for. Will keep an eye out for a single (which will most certainly be popping up soon because they won't sell much at that price) or if I see it for cheaper.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  40. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,137) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

It remains painful for me to see stone continue to demand premium pricing when they've fallen so far from a premium brand. I would try this for 8.99 a sixer (fuckin respectable considering that's what SN staples go for) but otherwise it's not hard to pass on stones latest flailing attempt to stat relevant.