Release Stone Brewing presents Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,504) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Stone Brewing presents Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA

An artful blending of hops and a blazing volcano

ESCONDIDO, CA (March 12, 2018) – Trends in craft beer rise and fall, but through the dank, the fruit and the haze, one constant remains: Hops. Spotlighting this wonderful plant, Stone Brewing presents Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA, a beer packed with all the fruitiness of some of today’s favorite beers, with absolutely no addition of fruit.

“Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA was initially brewed with the intent to add fruit,” said Jeremy Moynier, Stone Brewing senior innovation brewing manager. “However, once we brewed it, we couldn’t believe the amazing fruit aroma and flavors we’d coaxed from the hops alone. To heck with the fruit!”

It is certain that this week’s nationwide release may inspire a Tiki escapade. Seven straws and a blazing volcano may be the best way to share a scorpion bowl cocktail, but not this 7.5% ABV island inspiration.

Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA pours deep gold and bright with a thin white head. The aroma is as juicy as its name implies, with hints of passion fruit, pineapple, tangerine, guava and mango. Layer upon layer give this beer its complexity with tropical flavors as well as strawberry, blueberry and subtle herbal notes. It finishes refreshing but with just the right bitterness. Straws not needed…or even welcome.

Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA is available in 22-ounce bottles and draft. The juicy hop creation joins Stone’s year-round lineup of beers including Stone IPA, Stone Delicious IPA, Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0, Stone Tangerine Express IPA, Stone Go To IPA and Stone Ripper.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/scorpionbowl

###

Lahey and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  2. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (579) Dec 12, 2014 California

Another Stone IPA that I will somehow still try, and think this is tasty but wonder how is this different from their previous ten IPA releases

3. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (291) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I had one of these a few weeks ago. I'm really into classic tiki cocktails so this was the best of both worlds. It was incredibly tropical.

Lahey likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,575) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Cha-ching! Stone Brewing Company thanks you!!

Cheers!

5. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,171) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

It’s been on shelves for a few weeks. Pretty tasty

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  6. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (178) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I had it two weeks ago (22 oz bomber format). This beer to me was a bit odd. I'm no stranger to Stone, and have enjoyed many glasses of Tangerine Express since they started canning it, and really dig the new Hop Worship (Exalted) series with loral and citra hops. Scorpion Bowl was a little malt forward at first, much more than I am accustomed to with Stone's offerings. But, let that beer warm up some, and it is tropical truly as described.

AZBeerDude72 and JackHorzempa like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

Sounds like to decision to package in 22 ounce bottles makes sense for this beer? The last half will be 'warmed up' and tropical?

Cheers!

8. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (178) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

It worked for sure in my case. I have a Spiegelau stout glass that will hold a whole bomber. It was a perfect glass to experience that beer. It really evolved all the way to the last sip.

9. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Aspirant (237) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

The price on this beer was $4.99 for the 22 oz. bomber. Too cheap for me to pass up. Haven't tried it yet but other people's comments are encouraging.

10. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

Please share your thoughts on this beer in this thread once you have an opportunity to drink it.

Cheers!

11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,882) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

I had it on draught at Old Chicago a couple of weeks ago. I'll just say that I have no desire to drink it again. The Delicious IPA from a bottle suited me more.

12. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,397) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Had this in bottle and it was very good, wish I had purchased a few more. Worth checking out for anyone who has not sampled yet.

13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,397) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

LOL $4.99? Where was that at?

Lahey likes this.
  14. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (125) May 9, 2018 New York
    Beer Trader

Yeah I picked one up in nyc for $5.99 but noticed too late it had loral hops so its sitting in the back of my fridge smh... Wasn't impressed with exalted ipa which also had loral hops... What is up with stone anf loral hops?

15. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (175) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Stone presents.....another (D)IPA. No way?! They should just change their name to Mostly IPAs Brewing.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (957) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

That sounds better than "Unnecessary Trademark Lawsuit Brewing" or "Sexual Harassment Brewing" or "Anti-Trump Brewing" or even "Poor Sponsorship Brewing", but probably just as good as "Punk Rock, Not Punk Rock Brewing".

Norica, Lahey, DISKORD and 1 other person like this.
  17. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (125) May 9, 2018 New York
    Beer Trader

Why don't you tell us how you really feel :grin:

Lahey likes this.
  18. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (369) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Man, stone has really become the whipping boy here lately. They do seem to be ran by a 17 year old rebellious kid, so I kind of get it... But I'm not sure where all the "too much ipas" hate is coming from. Plenty of places seem to be doing almost exclusively NEIPAS and I don't see anyone calling for their head. Not a fanboy and I don't drink a lot of their beers, but that's more price/value driven. I just go elsewhere for dark beers, so many other brewers do them as good or better anyway.

19. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (131) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

Loral is an excellent, extremely versatile hop, which isn't sexy and hip yet so it's still accessible

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.