Stone Brewing to re-release Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA in cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by LoganFarinhas, Aug 28, 2021.

1. LoganFarinhas

LoganFarinhas Initiate (112) Jun 26, 2020 Pennsylvania

2. AWA

AWA Defender (613) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

Outstanding. Although last time it came out it was like 20 bucks a 6 pack by me. I mean, I still bought a case, but I was kind pissed off about it.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,429) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

From the My Beer Buzz link above:

"...this beer will now see action in 12oz cans."

I personally appreciate they are using 12 vs. 16 ounce cans. Having stated that it will be interesting to see how this beer is priced. If it is "20 bucks a 6 pack" it will be a pass for me.

Cheers!

dcolatriano, rgordon, Roguer and 8 others like this.
  4. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,146) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Awesome. I actually still have some from earlier this year. Fresh is mend bending good. But even as it is now its extremely enjoyable. Holds up much better than a traditional IPA.

smutty33, Rug, AlcahueteJ and 7 others like this.
  5. hillind

hillind Aspirant (286) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I think I paid $16.99 for the six bought from the last release. It was delicious, I’ll grab a six of cans if it stays at that price.

6. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (942) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I passed at $17-18 last time. $12 I will buy some, maybe. I don’t really but Stone anymore but would try this again at the right price.

Enjoy

ChicagoJ and eppCOS like this.
  7. Resistance88

Resistance88 Disciple (354) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Damn and i passed on 4 bombers i saw when i was in SD last week cuz of the age.

Living in California is fun...trader joes always sells singles of SSR for 4 bucks.

8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

where in CA? It was $14.99 around me in Orange County. That was at total wine where it’s always the cheapest.

9. AWA

AWA Defender (613) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

I'm in Santa Cruz. The only place that had it was BevMo. I probably should have hauled my ass over the hill to San Jose and hit Total Wine. But that's about 60 miles round trip to save 20 bucks.

bret27, SFACRKnight and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  10. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

yeah not worth the gas.

AWA likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe Total Wine & More in Claymont, DE will have better prices for this beer?

Cheers!

12. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,949) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Been a while that I've been excited to get a Stone beer - this is great news.
    But maybe I'm just feeling self-righteous.
    Cheers!

13. Specialmick

Specialmick Disciple (379) Aug 26, 2019 Connecticut

Yes BAs this is a beer i don't drink all the time but i am so stoked to see that be all the time beer and all light protected in a can...fu%king love it. This beer is truly unique and tasty

14. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Meyvn (1,496) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

You have the same love as I for, black ipas, “cascadian dark ales” or “hoppy dark ales” if we want to be pretentious. :grin:

Much will be purchased of this! As I did last year!

readyski, Rug, Specialmick and 3 others like this.
  15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,399) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Awesome! Good for them. I will most likely purchase this again.

16. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I got my fix a couple months ago (showed up in Feb 2021) with the 6pack bottles. Decent change of pace beer but not something I’d drink on the regular, or pay the $18-$20 for. I really don’t plan to revisit just because the are sticking in cans a few months later. Specialty niche style beers like these should be a 1x per year annual release IMO of brewers want to maximize sales to a niche craft beer buying segment, that demand freshness while keeping them Jonesing for it.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  17. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

At a reasonable price-point, I will definitely get up a 6er. As many above have stated, the most recent release, 6er 12oz bottles, some in the $17 neighborhood. And while it is a tasty beer, there are just too many other tasty beers for nearly 1/2 that price.

Squire likes this.
  18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,735) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I can afford a $17 six pack but that doesn't mean I'm willing to pay it.

19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,023) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Hard pass if the prices I'm seeing here are the ones I see at the store. I'd rather see wookie jack come back anyway. Sorry not sorry.

20. travolta

travolta Champion (839) Feb 4, 2004 California

that was excellent and aged well. it really was something different in a world of hop bombs

Bitterbill and Rug like this.
  21. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,923) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

This makes me happy.

When they re-released SSR recently, it seemed more like a one-off, not necessarily testing the waters. I tried it, and it was just as good as when I first reviewed it years ago - and that means very good. Seems I'm not the only one who had that experience, if they've decided to up production enough for one or more runs in the 12 oz format.

22. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,880) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I didn't see it last time, so I'm hoping I see it this time around.

Price doesn't really matter to me, because how many Black IPAs are on the shelves now? Furthermore, how many are on the shelves that are this good?

23. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,683) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Where in Mass are you? I saw it many places last release in southeastern MA, mostly Attleboro and Seekonk, and I'm fairly certain I saw some when stopping at the Total Wine in Everett

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

Society

Cambridge/Somerville.

I have some great shops around me, so I never go to Total Wine. But yeah, they probably did have it (on a warm shelf).

Bitterbill and Rug like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

For those "great shops" where you purchase beer, are 100% of the beers in those stores continuously stored cold?

Cheers!

26. AlcahueteJ

Society

Yup, the majority of the beers.

I rarely buy beer not stored cold, regardless of style. And I buy a lot of beer...so...

ChicagoJ and Bitterbill like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

Your beer retailers are very different from the beer retailers in my area. For example while my local Retail Beer Distributor has several beer refrigerators:

[​IMG]

And a large 30 ft. by 30 ft. cold-room.

There are hundreds (thousands maybe?) of beer cases that are just sitting on floor space and/or shelving.

Cheers!

chrismattlin and hillind like this.
  28. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,683) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Good on you man lol, I wish I had some of the smaller shops around me. I've got a pretty reliable bigger liquor store with a huge beer selection that is mostly fresh, though a majority of it is on a shelf. Side note, I recall stopping in some bottle shop in Cambridge a few months back, can't remember what the name of it was, but the lack of variety was disappointing unfortunately

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,045) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Having bought and drank the bottles from the last release, I will keep an eye out for the cans. Marvelous beer.

smutty33 likes this.
  30. CBlack85

CBlack85 Savant (915) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

This is a style that doesn't get nearly enough traction. I really enjoy a good black IPA, but it is not widely brewed, and unfortunately many brewers attempts at the style are less than stellar.

I'll definitely be picking up some of the cans

smutty33, Bitterbill, Rug and 3 others like this.
  31. AlcahueteJ

Society

I would say that's fairly representative of where I shop. But like the picture here, most of the craft beer I purchase is stored in those fridges, and in the cold room you referenced as well.

Doesn't really matter to me if some of the beer is on the floor if I don't purchase it.

Last weekend I purchased Idle Hand Brocktoberfest, Jack's Abby Copper Legend, Von Trapp Oktoberfest, Zero Gravity Oktoberfest, and Paulaner Marzen. If I recall correctly, only the Paulaner was on a warm shelf. And I almost didn't pick it up because of that, but that was the only six pack I saw anywhere, and they only had one left (tasted delicious though!).

Those were purchased at three different stores in my area.

Bitterbill and ChicagoJ like this.
  32. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,780) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

You are fortunate. Nearly everywhere here either does not refrigerate, or refrigerates the macros / AALs (Big box Binny's, though a few select craft are also refrigerated - mostly red/blue house key brands) and also grocery stores, because they "pay" for it. Meanwhile, the domestic craft and international selection withers on the shelves.

There are a few exceptions to this rule, be it here (The Beer Temple and Leo's Liquors) or in Vegas, my home away from home (Beer Zombies, Khoury's, Speedee Mart, Lee's).

A majority of my beer purchases at this stage in my craft journey are local, and nearly all of those are direct from the brewery (Revolution and Spiteful being my 1 / 1A go to breweries).

Rug, AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Society

And as I discussed above what you are describing here is more representative of the beer retailers in my area.

While I can find some craft beers in the refrigerators they may not be the brand(s) I am interested in buying and even if there is a brand I would be willing to buy I have zero knowledge as to how long it was stored cold - that beer may have been packaged x months ago and placed in cold storage the day before. A BA who worked for a beer store posted in a past thread that at his store they would take beer that was getting old and then move them from the shelf to the beer refrigerator since a customer might think it was a wise purchase even if the beer is old since they think it was continuously stored cold. The ancient Roman saying of caveat emptor comes to mind.

Cheers!

chrismattlin, Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  34. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,421) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This is excellent news! I really enjoyed Sublimely last year. It's great to see the style brewed so well.

cavedave likes this.
  35. WickedBeer

WickedBeer Poo-Bah (2,563) Sep 23, 2015 Alabama
    Society Trader

Next Headline: “Stone Says Screw it and Just Adds Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA to year-round Lineup”

jonphisher, smutty33 and Rug like this.
  36. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (942) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

If the beer is fresh it’s really not an issue. Folks here on BA say it’s an issue but it’s not. If the beer is sitting in the sun it probably is an issue. I have bought tons of beer sitting in hot beer distributors that was great just like all other PA customers have. I’ve been working my way through a case of Torpedo bought warm during the heat wave and it is still a piney goodness in my glass and the beer is going on 3 months old.

Don’t sweat the little things, I bet in a side by side you can’t tell the stored cold vs warm. How many of your cold beers were warm before going into the cooler?

Enjoy

37. o29

o29 Disciple (341) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

I do think that would be a really interesting blind comparison to do.

Store 3 of the same fresh beers for a few months, one cold, one at room temperature, and one at a warmer temperature. You would just need to ensure they're fresh which you could do by purchasing directly from the brewery or if using a homebrew. I assume you'd also want to use something hoppy to showcase how/if the hops are impacted.

Might be something I'll try to get around to doing someday.

38. JackHorzempa

Society

I look forward to reading your thread.

If you are so motivated I would suggest you conduct a blind triangle taste test as part of this exercise. And if you have some family or friends make this a group exercise.

You might be interested in knowing that the QA folks at Anheuser-Busch do this sort of thing with their beers. They will take a lot of the beer they brew (e.g., Budweiser) and periodically (weekly?) taste test the beer and and evaluate it. They assign a baseline score of 10 for a brewery fresh beer. Over time the beer is assigned lower values. They made a QA decision that when the beer is rated a 7 it is no longer worthy of purchase. Via this specific exercise they arrived at a best by duration of 110 days for a beer like Budweiser.

Cheers!

39. AlcahueteJ

Society

I hear ya, but I always have plenty of beer to buy. And in the Boston area beer is really expensive.

Why choose a product that's knowingly out warm?

@JackHorzempa didn't Sixpoint do a study on hop flavor/aroma drop off when at room temp?

TheBungyo likes this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

The 'best' way I can respond here is that I personally have not read a "study" from Sixpoint on this topic. Have you?

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.