Stone Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AZBeerDude72, Aug 28, 2019.

1. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,775) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Stone Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager

Now available in SoCal, coming Nationwide in 2020!

4.7% ABV, featuring Liberty hops, real lime & salt
    Available on draft, in 22oz bottles and 12oz twelve-pack bottles.

In 1996, Stone Brewing was founded in San Diego County, just minutes from the border. Influence from our southern neighbors has enriched and inspired us on our undying mission to brew bold, flavorful beers. One such inspiration is Stone Xocoveza, our imperial stout originally released in 2014 to bring the rich, complex flavors of Mexican hot chocolate to beer. It’s with mucho gusto that we now introduce our take on a classic lager that is similarly inspired (and tasty) - Stone Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager.

This beer is shipping out now across California, but if you're as eager to get your hands on it as we are (in time for Labor Day Weekend celebrations), you'll find it now at our SoCal locations. Not in San Diego or LA? Buenaveza will be at Stone Brewing - Napa and Stone Brewing Tap Room - Richmond by the end of this week just in time for Labor day!

HorseheadsHophead and Roguer like this.
  2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (592) Mar 28, 2009 California

Are yellow, fizzy beers ok if it has salt and lime?

3. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Looks like they are going after Dogfish and their Sea Quench Ale which clocks in at 4.9% abv so Stone has the edge on this one, now the taste. I actually would try a sixer (Stone) of these, it sounds tasty. The artwork is pretty sweet also.

4. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Crusader (784) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

This sounds great to me, no shame in a salt and lime lager. A favorite in the summer time. Fortunately have some local breweries releasing these, but having this option in the summer will be nice. Great artwork too.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Stone is branding this beer Buenaveza. Sierra Nevada branded their new yellow lager Sierraveza. Will Lagunitas (or Founders) be next with something-veza?:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

dcotom, AZBeerDude72 and alucard6679 like this.
  6. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (710) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

all just plays on the spanish word for beer, cerveza. brewers are notorious for thinking they're very clever with their names

7. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,611) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I wonder what 2002 Greg Koch would have thought of this. It's almost surreal to see how much Stone (and the industry) have changed.

8. Doma

Doma Initiate (33) May 19, 2019 California

You are cruel or you have a good memory! :sunglasses:

Alefflicted and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Exactly. Who will be next here?

Cheers!

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,269) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Leave out the salt and I would give it a go.

EmperorBatman and Alefflicted like this.
  11. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (170) Oct 6, 2004 California

It's right there on the back of a Double Bastard bottle. Oh wait...

12. AWA

AWA Aspirant (245) Jul 22, 2014 California

I'm buying it. I'm going to be drinking it alone in the dark in shame, but I'm buying it.

13. GetMeAnIPA

Both

Alefflicted, jakecattleco and Doma like this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Savant (966) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

More and more like the wine industry in the late 90s. Today I was in a big chain store and was amazed at the number of hard seltzers. Even one with organic alcohol. Yikes......

15. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (717) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

And people give shit to corona drinkers..........

Ill take an AAL with a lime wedge for 20 percent of the cost

Enjoy

16. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (268) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm totally onboard but could have used this last month with the heat index in the 100s regularly.

ericwo likes this.
  17. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (332) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Just finished a bomber of this. Overall, I thought that it was pretty good for what it is. I was concerned that the lime would be too artificial as that's how lime flavored beers come off to me usually. However, this wasn't like that at all. The salt was noticeable as well, but not overpowering. I would drink it again, and I was happy with the bomber price - $3.99.

Redrover, JBogan and ESHBG like this.
  18. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,077) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Their (Stone's) current response is Yes, cause we're hoping it keeps us relevant and the lights on. If only they'd kept brewing Levitation...

19. GetMeAnIPA

Yup, me too. Weird thing is there appears to be a demand for low abv beers, like this lager, and Stone has one of the best yet they don’t brew it.

jakecattleco likes this.
  20. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,439) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

If they are really going after this segment, why not can instead of bottle?

I certainly associate this style with the outdoors...needs to be something you can take to the beach, river, pool, etc....

21. TrojanRB

Society Trader

There’s already salt in the beer, so make sure your tears don’t drip in it.

KRug and Alefflicted like this.
  22. TrojanRB

Society Trader

2002 Greg probably hated it. But after a failed expensive international expansion, popular fizzy yellow beer probably seems like a safe business plan.

I guess he didn’t teach the Germans about that either....

23. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (38) May 15, 2018 Virginia

SeaQuench is a sour/gose, the Stone beer sounds like it's just a flavored lager (more similar to Bud Light Lime). Also, what do you mean by "clocks in at 4.9% abv so Stone has the edge on this one"? Stone has the edge cause their beer is .2% lower in ABV? Ok, sure.

mngermanshepherd likes this.
  24. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Devotee (429) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Not sure if I'll like the beer, but the packaging is bada$$!!!

25. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Thanks for the reply.

I was referring to the salt/lime aspect that Dogfish did, yes I know they are different styles. You don't think its odd they made a beer with salt and lime? Well in my book it was to compete with their beer as an alternative and also target the Corona crowd.

Regarding the ABV edge, if you watch TV, read ads, etc. you know that everyone is going for the low ABV card to represent as the better choice. No kidding the ABV is about mirrored but you know as well as I do that when people buy things they will probably search lowest ABV beer etc. So its a marketing tactic to get folks to find their beer in a search or choose it just because its slightly lower. A prime example is the game being played by Miller and Bud. I cannot tell you how many times I see Miller state they are lower calorie? Well the difference is like 8-10 calories. You can burn that walking to get a beer lol, my point is that this minor difference matters to consumers and is why Stone did this.
    Cheers

stevepat likes this.
  26. stevepat

Trader

sea quench is a weird hybrid beer (I think they say berliner weisse and gose but I also seem to remember it having a third alleged style mashed in there) that focuses it's marketing on being lime/salt flavored and high in 'electrolytes', cause that's what plants need. So it definitely sounds like they are targeting the same market, not high beer geekery but more folks who want a refreshing and low alcohol beverage. Although the bottle, not can, packaging for the stone option seems like a big miss for what appears to be their target audience.
    That said, the southern california consumer of mexican import beers does seem to have a strong preference for bottles over cans so that could well be playing into their thinking.

27. Norica

Norica Aspirant (223) Feb 2, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

....seems like the kind of beer they used to make fun of on April Fool’s Day.

einhorn, Ranbot, jasonmason and 2 others like this.
  28. Joe13

Joe13 Initiate (35) Aug 7, 2018 New Jersey

Most beers with lime, especially from large breweries, taste way too artificial. I won't be picking this up.

pjeagles likes this.
  29. thuey

thuey Aspirant (265) Nov 13, 2015 California

Don't forget Stone's Xocoveza was first (yes, I know - not yellow lager)

Ranbot and Joe13 like this.
  30. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (38) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I've never seen any marketing regarding electrolytes and SeaQuech. I've only seen it advertised as a 'thirst quenching' session sour. Anyone concerned with electrolyte consumption isn't buying beer to meet their needs.

jasonmason likes this.
  31. stevepat

Trader

that was me you quoted, not sure how it got mixed up but here's a link of a google search for 'seaquake ale electrolytes' https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=firefox-b-1-d&biw=1536&bih=750&ei=DyZoXamqNYrktQWpvKWgBA&q=seaquench+ale+electrolytes&oq=seaquench+ale+el&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.0i22i30l2.4329.6101..7666...0.2..0.169.1579.0j11......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0.EBZ4c0N3PeU
    You'll notice that just about every article on there is talking about how DFH scientists worked for eons to make the 'gatorade of beers'. Their own copy very overtly edits how comment on the hydrating quality, probably because you aren't allowed to market alcohol as a healthy drink option.
    But there's a whole world of beer for the post workout market, with all it's protein, low carbs, electrolytes, etc... See SufferFest brewing, recently acquired by Sierra Nevada

32. Joe13

Joe13 Initiate (35) Aug 7, 2018 New Jersey

lemon/lime with pink sea salt is known as a hydrating drink when mixed with water. But the one time I had Seaquench on a 90F NJ day, I was a thirsty MF! I think they added too much salt to it. And salt is one of my favorite foods...

33. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (268) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Kolsch is the third style mixed in.

Re: electrolytes the sea salt adds a bit.

stevepat likes this.
  34. Hoochman

Hoochman Initiate (66) Aug 28, 2010 New York

Summer alternative to Xocoveza

35. JBogan

JBogan Champion (830) Jul 15, 2007 California

At $3.99 a bomber I'll give just about anything a try. So I bought one, and am drinking it now. Not bad at all. I'm enjoying it more than most if not all (similarly inspired) beers. Keep it at this price point and I'll be a repeat customer.

GetMeAnIPA, AZBeerDude72 and ESHBG like this.
  36. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (871) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

See also: Athletic Brewing Company. From what I hear, Athletic is selling fast enough that retailers are having trouble keeping their beer in stock.

stevepat likes this.
  37. GetMeAnIPA

Yeah, that’s only $13 a six pack price per oz.

But, at that price it’s worth a try to see if I would by a six pack but repeat bombers no thanks.

JBogan and waltari like this.
  38. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (170) Oct 6, 2004 California

I just don't get this trend at all. As someone who is athletic, it seems silly to me to try and make beer a recovery drink. The idea that 0.5-1% abv difference vs, say, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (my go-to post-ride beer) post-workout is going to make a difference is ridiculous. Just run that extra 1/4 mile and drink what you want.

My personal opinion is that beers of this ilk are selling to people of the same mindset that drink Diet soda, and not primarily to the athletic crowd. But that's just my hunch.

stevepat likes this.
  39. stevepat

Trader

my dad and his friends are big into the running/biking thing as a hobby. There was definitely a thing about beer being the greatest recovery drink. Before that they were all about chocolate milk

40. Witherby

Witherby Disciple (374) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Ranbot likes this.