Stone Coconut & Founder's Mango Magnifico in DMV?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Arsenal_MC, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arsenal_MC

Arsenal_MC Initiate (89) Feb 25, 2013 District of Columbia
    Trader

Anyone seen them in the area?

2. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia

Mango tapping today at Rustico Ballston.

3. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

I heard Mango Magnifico hit some of the DC Whole Foods today, though I have not personally confirmed this.

4. districtcraft

districtcraft Initiate (39) Jan 18, 2012 District of Columbia

I was just at P Street and Conn Ave. It wasn't on the shelves and no one was around to ask about it at either spot.

PS - Conn Ave said you (starrdogg) stopped by. If I see that bottle again I will definitely let you know.

5. Howlader

Howlader Initiate (0) May 1, 2010 Canada (AB)

Total Wine in McLean (according to the website) has both.

6. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (390) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

Cocoanut is at P St. Didn't see Mango there, though perhaps it's in the back. They also have a couple of new breweries on the shelves -- Iron Fist from CA and Backpocket from IA (never heard of this one, though Randy says they're good).

7. Sterlingbeerguy

Sterlingbeerguy Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2010 Virginia

Both are at Sterling Total Wine.

The founder's has a one bottle limit.

Stone has no limit.

BMitch likes this.
  8. Arsenal_MC

Trader

Mango Magnifico at Churchkey tonight... Was gonna swing by there for one and hit Whole Foods on P after... I'll get my bottles of Founder's at Rodman's later this week.

9. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia

Westover has both, and they are $$$ $22 for the Mango (my brother got one at TW in Alexandria for $12.99. They also had the Coconut, $11.99, my brother got one at TW for $6.99) I didn't not buy them at Westover and will not be going back there. Arrowine has the Mango for $15. One case.

10. Arsenal_MC

Trader

I just hit the TW Alexandria... $22 is outrageous! so is $12 for the Stone! They have 1 bottle limits on both..

11. starrdogg

I picked up a bottle of the Mango at Westover, and while it seemed expensive, I had no idea what this beer was selling for elsewhere, so I went ahead with the purchase. Now learning what other places are selling this for, I'm pretty damn angry. That will likely be the last beer I ever buy from that store.

12. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Initiate (125) Dec 13, 2011 California

Westover, 1 West Dupont, and the Perfect Pour. Three biggest culprits of gouging, every time. Rule of them, just never shop at any of them.

Went to Conn Ave, saw Iron Fist Velvet Glove for 12. Walked down the street, same day to 1 West out of curiosity, going for 25 at the moment there.

13. starrdogg

I swore off 1 West Dupont and Perfect Pour long ago, but I didn't realize Westover was in their league until now. Westover charges fairly normal prices for their regular beers, which is how I got thrown off, but apparently limited releases get jacked up to insane prices.

14. 1up

1up Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2013 District of Columbia

Don't forget Lost Dog Cafe and to some extent Chevy Chase W&L

15. Jtc2811

Chevy chase has always been pricey but lately some of their stock seems to get jacked high.

I really want to start complaining to distributors. If they gouge they shouldn't get the contracts for orders

Daniellobo likes this.
  16. 1up

I talked to Randy at Whole Foods a few weeks ago and he said that he was charging more for Hopslam because people were buying him out and selling it for profit, leaving none for his customers in the store. Larry Bell's son (attends Georgetown U) visited P St. and saw the price He reported the price to Larry Bell and Larry gave Randy shit without hearing him out so Randy dropped Bell's from his inventory completely. Sad that people can't just talk and figure it out since Randy is a good dude brah.

Daniellobo likes this.
  17. Jtc2811

Good to know brewers respond though, even if some wires got crossed

18. PopeXXIII

PopeXXIII Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2005 District of Columbia

Word on the street is that Rodman's has a couple Founders Mango left. Don't buy them all before I get one!

19. Jtc2811

UPDATE: A complaint was made on 1 West's Facebook page regarding their charging 14$ for Pumking and they publicly agreed to lower the price! Quick, someone post about the Iron Fist they are selling for 25$ that Conn Ave is asking 13$ for!

20. districtcraft

districtcraft Initiate (39) Jan 18, 2012 District of Columbia

It's a Schneiders for 22 Mango.

21. starrdogg

I tweeted at both Westover and Founders last night complaining about the price gouging on the Mango, but no response from either party. Alas.

22. Sterlingbeerguy

Sterlingbeerguy Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2010 Virginia

The sad thing in most of these situations is that these retailers are paying the same price to the distributor. Caveat Emptor.

23. gunpwdr

gunpwdr Initiate (151) Feb 7, 2013 Virginia

WF Fairfax has both. $8 for RR and $14 for MM. 1 bottle limit on the latter. They probably have about 10 left.

24. BrewUrbanist

BrewUrbanist Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Wisconsin

D'Vines in Adams Morgan has both - Mango $18.99 and Coconut IPA 9.99

25. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Glad I didn't get my Mango at WM because that was the first drain pour I have had in a long time. The only other times I can remember having to dump a beer was because they were way over carbed. The sweetness + the lingering heat was to much for me. And I like spicy food just not in my beer I guess. The only way I could see myself getting through a glass of it is with a food pairing. Maybe some type of mexican food would go with it. I would suggest opening this one with a couple people.

I thought the coconut Ipa was good not great. Especially when you compare it to the enjoy by's. Probably wouldn't buy another one but don't regret the purchase at all.

26. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

I thought about my post and would like to say one other thing. The beer is exactly as advertised. The ingredients listed on the bottle are what you get. So I don't think Founders made a bad beer. I think I made a bad decision buying it. I have had other beers with heat in them. The darker ones where it has been more subtle I have liked. The others where it is in your face I haven't. So I should of read a few reviews before purchasing this one.

27. Jtc2811

Plenty of both at rodmans still

10 for stone 15 for founders

28. Arsenal_MC

Trader

When I was at TW Alexandria, I picked up two of each.. I also picked up two of New Belgium's Cococunt Curry Hefeweizen, to have side-by-side with the R&R... Wow, the New Belgium has to be the worst beer I've ever had! Undrinkable. They're selling for 7.99 if anyone's curious. Acutally! I bought two so I have one left, if anyone wants it! haha

29. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

I've heard it won't hit MD for at least another week. No Founder's in MD though.

30. Daniellobo

Daniellobo Poo-Bah (2,339) Jul 30, 2009 District of Columbia
    Society

Randy is a good guy, indeed! I've know him since the store opened give or take. And in fact my memory takes me back to a time when he may not have run the beer section but cheeses? (and he knew them well.) Knowledgeable, attentive, all around a good professional... Surprised this happened with Bells, though. Pretty sure he had Oberon minikegs, and at least sixers of Two Hearted a few days ago?

31. Daniellobo

Daniellobo Poo-Bah (2,339) Jul 30, 2009 District of Columbia
    Society

BTW, both (coconut and mango offerings) were openly displayed at the WP Foggy Bottom too, last.. Thursday?
    To me the IPA is neat, rather pungent with a nice toasty coconut profile (really nicely done if one digs that edge). The mango was a bit much for me, but I appreciate the innovation: distinct mango in a hefty brew that does not feel that heavy with a rather hot, but not overwhelming, warm and lingering finish. Both well worth a try (I'd pick up a Stone CIPA well ahead of the other one.)

Arsenal_MC likes this.
  32. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,347) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

That store is a friggin joke...

1up likes this.
  33. 1up

Agree

34. jimmy666

jimmy666 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2010 Maryland

Just picked up a Stone coconut at Fishpaws in arnold this afternoon

35. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,347) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

There are plenty of Coconut bottles at Whole Foods P Street as of 1:00 PM that I saw today :wink:

Cracking one tonight.

36. cysiam

cysiam Initiate (147) Feb 21, 2005 Kentucky

There was definitely a large stack of oberon sixers over by produce when it came out earlier this summer.

37. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

There are still plenty of them at Bo Brooks in Canton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.