Stone Enjoy By 05.17.13

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by dougofthefuture, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petcha

Petcha Disciple (331) Jul 30, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Got one at Princeton's today around 445pm. Looked like they had several cases stacked up of it.

2. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

I'm such a libeling dick!

Ish1 likes this.
  3. Syzygy00

Syzygy00 Aspirant (275) Nov 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I picked up two at Edina Liquors by Cub today. Looked like they had more and no bottle limit. $9.99 per bottle.

mnphish likes this.
  4. Chrisp00

Chrisp00 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Rapids Liquor has some. They are also having a Craft Beer Tasting tonight from 4-8pm!

5. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,809) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Bought a bottle and tried it today. Good beer and I glad I tried it, now I can ignore it from now on.

HoistinBrews and Revenant like this.
  6. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Anybody know who may have this on tap today? Preferably as far West as possible in Minneapolis or surrounding area.

7. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Aspirant (280) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Republic Calhoun Square Uptown is tapping it @ 5 pm today.

8. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Hittin it!

9. Mplsmetro57

Beer Trader

$9.49 @ Surdyk's

10. Ish1

Ish1 Devotee (462) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Jim is watching!

11. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (561) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

BA bashes Surdyks for jacking prices - Surdyks sells said bottle for best price (I've seen) in town.
    Ironic?

12. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Aspirant (229) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

I've paid under $9.

13. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

That's awesome!
    I haven't heard of anyone else that has - care to share where for everyone?

14. TorsHammer

TorsHammer Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 Minnesota

Sid's Discount Liquor - $8.79 (according to a friend)
    1st Grand Ave - $8.99 (according to my receipt)

Hopsiam14 and lonewolfcry like this.
  15. aliving1

aliving1 Aspirant (268) Aug 3, 2011 Minnesota

Did most places sell out? I'd like to go up to the cities later today to grab a bottle or two.

16. beefmental

beefmental Initiate (180) May 26, 2005 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I bought a bottle last night at the Owatonna HyVee for $9.99. There were still 6 or 7 left.

aliving1 likes this.
  17. Syzygy00

Syzygy00 Aspirant (275) Nov 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My guess is that there will be places around town that still have it. Just come armed with 5-6 places to look and you should do fine. If worse comes to worse, I'd trade my last bottle to you...

18. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Aspirant (229) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Sorry I thought I was in the Overrated thread! I paid around 10 for Enjoy By.

19. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

You should be able to find it no problem.
    At such a high bottle price, not a lot of people are buying more than one, or going from store to store on this one.

20. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (377) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Hit Four Firkins today for some Surly Overrated, and they still had Stone Enjoy By in stock.

21. aliving1

aliving1 Aspirant (268) Aug 3, 2011 Minnesota

Thanks for the heads up, I was able to get a couple bottles today. I stopped in Thursday and they thought Friday or Tuesday.

22. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Aspirant (270) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

It has been my experience that their prices are consistently higher. They get almost everything through distributors so prices are guaranteed to be marked up. If you know where the stores are that get beer directly from breweries, it's $1-2 cheaper.

Now while Surdyk's does have an extensive selection, Four Firkins is more impressive. Unfortunately FF is a hotbed of beer nerdery and you have to compete with more people on release dates.

It's hard to that find a balance of selection, fair price, and quantity. This is probably the reason I visit 4-5 stores regularly for the various things I'm looking for...

23. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Devotee (415) Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'm curious - and I truly don't mean this snidely - do you have some kind of tie to Surdyk's? I only ask because you've been on BA a long time, and you seem to be a good, contributing member of the community. I'm wondering if you read Jim Surdyk's comments about the craft beer community - you know, us:) - a year and a half ago. In response to people being upset about his charging $37 for a bottle of Darkness, he said, "Surly sold it to me, right? I can sell it for whatever I want to. The bottles were selling on eBay for $75. To each their own.”
    And then he added that those who complained about his price-jacking were "the same half-dozen guys, beer people that have nothing to do, apparently, but drive around looking for beer."

While he is absolutely correct - he is allowed to charge whatever he wants for the products he sells in his store - just because someone CAN do something, it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. And then when he was called out on it, rather than take a conciliatory tone and reach out to those people who are buying his products and paying his salary, he chose instead to demean them, truly biting the hand that feeds him.

Just wanted to make sure you know how Jim Surdyk feels about you before you go and give him any more of your business. There are so many other options, stores where your business - and more than your business, your patronage, that feeling of community and mutual respect that happens between a loyal customer and the business owner who truly appreciates their customers - is alive and well. Perhaps consider giving them your hard-earned money rather than someone who looks down on you.

24. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

I'm not sure why you're insinuating the fact that I have any connection with Surdyks whatsoever.
    I simply questioned whether irony had anything to do with the fact that a BA member states that Surdyks was gouging people on this particular bottle, and then they turned around and put in on their shelves for 5% less than most of their competition.

By your post, I now feel forced to explain my position.
    I have been to Surdyks perhaps 4 times in the last 10 years.
    I don't agree with Jim Surdyk's opinion or values.
    However, if I'm in the area and they have a bottle that I want bad enough, I will go there and buy that bottle. I'm sure that 90% of anyone else on this site would do the same thing - only perhaps not be as honest about it.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

By the way, I bought my 4 bottles in the NW shops that I commonly patronize.
    One for me ( drank it the first day) and 3 were for extras for ongoing trades

25. Mplsmetro57

Beer Trader

For those in the south metro, Blackbird tapped theirs yesterday and Red Cow taps theirs today @ 5 pm.

26. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

Bricks pub in Blaine is also tapping Enjoy by tonight @ 5:00 pm.

27. caskstrength

caskstrength Disciple (354) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

Had a bottle tonight. Yikes is this good. Like, really good.
    High price point, but I may get another. I don't really know what "dank" means, but this is one earthy, dank IPA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.