Stone Enjoy by 4.20.13 IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by sandiego67, Mar 15, 2013.

1. EddieGold

EddieGold Nov 22, 2012 North Carolina

How much? you know, you do live in Brooklyn...

2. phooky

phooky Jan 23, 2010 New York

It's been at least $10 everywhere I've seen it in Brooklyn.​
    I'm sure 4pks would be at least $15 here, but I'd still buy the fuck out of it, even at that price.​

3. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Are you sure? Stone seems to have had some success with it: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/90

4. Beerswag

Beerswag Jan 16, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Nugget market in Elk Grove, Ca...5.99
    Definately has sour-deisel on my palate..go green bottle is a keeper. Fresh is best for IPA's and this one has the mark of the beast.cheers!!

5. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

for like two bucks more you can get a sixer of lagunitas sucks.

Buy the lagunitas.

FATC1TY and johnnnniee like this.
  6. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

I disagree. I'm not a big fan of Ruination but the one bottle of Enjoy By that I had, 12.21.12, was fantastic and I even had it past the date in early Jan.

I'll be picking up a few of the 04.20.13 today since it's back in MO.

beerindaglass likes this.
  7. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

I haven't had the 4-20, but, imo, the 4-1 is better than any 1 day old or 100 day old Ruination I've tasted (10th anny is another story). I respect that others disagree for sure, but to call it overrated because it's a little harder to get is hogwash. It's a very fine beer.

edit: Dang, Beermein beat me by a minute.

jrnyc and FarmingtonRiver like this.
  8. rails

rails Nov 8, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'm not a big stone fan at all, but 4-1 was a really good dipa it's not over hyped

Premo88 likes this.
  9. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

man, this bottle is going to fucking fly, just for the collectibility.

10. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Dec 10, 2011 California

Suxs 2 B U

What sucks here is not all releases have enough local distribution.

11. Obsidian

Obsidian Dec 9, 2012 California

Not overhyped at all ... it's an excellent beer.

12. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

13. mnphish

mnphish Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

Can someone explain to me what a ticker is and how it relates to beer?

14. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Sep 5, 2012 Kansas

Hitting KCMO tomorrow.

15. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

See "why is it bad to be a ticker" on Recent Beer Talk

16. SteelersX

SteelersX Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Hard to get? No
    Bad ? Yes

17. SteelersX

Beer Trader

Opinions vary

18. SteelersX

Beer Trader

[qI don't rememberI don't rememberote="beerindaglass, post: 1104601, member: 719514"]I haven't had the 4-20, but, imo, the 4-1 is better than any 1 day old or 100 day old Ruination I've tasted (10th anny is another story). I respect that others disagree for sure, but to call it overrated because it's a little harder to get is hogwash. It's a very fine beer.

edit: Dang, Beermein beat me by a minute.[/quote]

I don't remember saying it was over rated because it was hard to get.
    I

19. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Dec 10, 2011 California

They must be charging the shit out of it where-ever-the-hell you live. It's $5.50 to $6 for a bomber here in San Diego. For a DIPA that has a perfect malt body, loaded with juicy hops and is fresh as hell...it's a great deal. What exactly did you not like about it? Some people think hops can be 'soapy', but I haven't picked that note up out of any of the releases. Of which I think I've had bottles/draft from 4 of them.

While I'm no fan of Stone's beer as a whole, I do love this one and buy bottles whenever I see them.

20. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Steelers, why did you join this thread? To let all of the Enjoy by enjoyers know that they were wasting their money or to bitch about an old batch of Ruination you grabbed last year.

Btw, a bomber of Ruination in Pensacola is 10 bucks and a 4 pack is 13. That's a F'n overated ripoff. But I wouldn't tell a fan of the beer that.

21. SteelersX

Beer Trader

I guess you fail to understand what a discussion forum is. Most do when someone disagrees with their opinion.
    I was stating what another person posted what they paid which was $9.
    I paid 6.99 and thought it was a below average IPA but I guess I have no right state my opinion in a thread discussing beer
    I never said I grabbed an old ruination.
    I can educate you on bottle dates if you like
    I guess the hype masters Stone brewing have simply taken the little bottle date and made it huge.
    Great job stone.

22. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

blue = neutral, throwaway crap, close to whiny but still not wrong
    green = you're right
    orange = ????
    red = you're in the wrong; stone is doing something good highlighting freshness. also, many people love the beers--and not because of "hype". this is not refuted by the fact that you didn't like the beer, which everyone involved ought to realize is stupid to argue about.

---

again, i can see not feeling too positive about enjoy by if

1) it simply isn't to your tastes (they use a lot of hops that some people really hate despite most people loving, e.g. citra)

2) the bottles in their area are overpriced ($10 for example is way too much)

3) they are in the distro area of superior hoppy pale ales, e.g. VT beers, a lot of cali beers, i suspect some oregon beers, some colorado beers definitely, etc.

however, if (1), (2), and (3) don't apply--and they don't in *a lot* of places in america--enjoy by is worth a few extra bucks, and is actually kind of a big deal to find in your local bottleshop. additionally, highlighting freshness (whether it makes you feel all sad because it's gimmicky or not) should have practical effects on beer marketing, production, and distribution--effects that are good for literally everyone involved.

---

edit: p.s. for anyone following along that's interested in arguments and assertions or whatever, i want to emphasize that i am asserting as objective fact that enjoy by "is good." you may not like the recipe, but i know enough about beer (ie have drank enough different beers) to know that stone packs in more hop aroma and flavor than most brewers do with their IPAs; it's a well-brewed IPA. i'm not saying this as opinion, like "i like how stone does IPAs," i'm saying "look at this, they've come up with a way--both in their brewing and their marketing/distribution--to get really fresh hop flavor and aroma, along the lines of the better wet hop beers, and other standouts like drake's, odell, etc." not a very interesting distinction to most, but who knows.

rails likes this.
  23. craigo19

craigo19 Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

Glad to see Vegas finally get some love for this. I enjoyed 4/1/13 when it hit the Detroit area and would like to try it again, but not a priority with Founders Double Trouble coming out soon.

24. Premo88

Premo88 Jun 6, 2010 Texas

it may be overhyped, but the 4.1.13 I've tried have been awesome ...

is it much better than Stone IPA? I honestly can't say yet. Need to compare that closely. I've also not tried Ruination yet, so I can't speak on that comparison. I will say the one Stone IPA I had was pretty damn good. But the very first 4.1.13 I had might've been the wildest pour I've yet seen ... it percolated in the tulip ... what a show! And the taste sold me on the American DIPA.

25. SteelersX

Beer Trader

Whiny? I don't really care enough to whine.
    I got a like on my post and a long response I can't even get through

I would rather have a bottled on date than an enjoy by date.
    Fresh Ruination blows Enjoy by out of the water
    Fresh heady beats them both

26. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

C'MON! To brag about getting it at $5.50 when it's brewed in your backyard is just plain cruel! I live 2hrs north and pay $6.99/bomber...obviously the further you get from SD, the more you're going to pay.

27. DWarcher

DWarcher Mar 24, 2012 California

Maybe not the most overhyped but the 4/1/13 was absolutely underwhelming. Perhaps the 4/20 will be different.

SteelersX likes this.
  28. sdpaul

sdpaul May 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I vote for a name change to this beer since it is the same recipe and the only thing that changes is the date...I feel it should actually be given a name instead of a date

29. sdpaul

sdpaul May 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

no...they have been the same recipe since the first batch..I asked the Stone Rep that question and he said no changes..That's the reason I haven't run to the store to buy it..It is a great beer..just want to try new beers

30. quindog

quindog Mar 11, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm not a fan of most Stone beers and even think Ruination is forgetable, but Enjoy By blows me away. Had it at the GABF, then the bottles that came out right after and now the 4/20. Its everything a double IPA should be in my opinion. Crisp, amazing hop nose and full of hop flavor. Just enough malt to support it (which is one of my gripes with their regular IPA - it lacks any malt backbone at all).

Luckily for the thousands of breweries making beer there are many different palates out there.

Premo88 and Pahn like this.
  31. flyingtoaster

flyingtoaster Jun 24, 2007 California

I'm pretty sure I paid $7.00 at the brewery.

32. regularjohn

regularjohn Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

i think a lot of people are confusing hype with a pretty brilliant marketing strategy from stone

33. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Paid 7.50 and picked up a bottle yesterday. Crushed it. It was awesome.

34. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa May 19, 2009 Washington

i bought both.

StubFaceJoe likes this.
  35. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Cases sat around? Dats crazy!

36. SDJason

SDJason Feb 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I just finished a Bomber of this, one of my favorites. But with the South Park Store only a couple minutes away it makes it really easy for me to get really fresh. And it is $7 per so I have no problem with it considering some of the prices on other beers that I have seen.

37. mko979

mko979 Jan 7, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Just found out about this and cast my vote, lets get this stuff in Florida.

beerindaglass likes this.
  38. JohnQ

JohnQ Jul 7, 2012 California

I don't think I've seen it here in SAC and I was at the Nugget in W Sac a couple days ago.BUT I did go to Boneshaker last night and although I tried a couple other beers all I drank was the BB 4-21.Great taste and excellent aroma.$6 for a 13 oz pour is not bad.I've always liked Ruination and used to think $6-7 was high for a bomber until everyone else started going $7-8-9 and up.But last week I had some and it just wasn't as good as I recall.

39. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Apr 20, 2012 Missouri

I bought 2 bombers at 5.99 apiece and it was was awesome and well worth it.

40. azureoval

azureoval Jan 25, 2010 California

A lot of the stores in Sac just got it in late in the week so be patient. I have seen it all over this weekend.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe