Stone Enjoy By releases to be more spread out now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jojo2112, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (166) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

I noticed on the Enjoy By website, they already have the "enjoy by" dates listed for all the releases for the rest of the year. There are only 3 more releases the rest of the year. That is a bummer.

Perhaps @StoneGreg can provide some insight?

Greywulfken likes this.
  2. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,169) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

After a long run,maybe some time for some scarcity marketing. Get people reinvigorated on the beer, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Greywulfken and shanebelcher like this.
  3. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I wouldn't be surprised if they are re-calibrating based on sales. If lots of markets are forced to dump a ton of the stuff when it hits the "Enjoy By" date, they might respond by cutting back. I know a lot of markets are selling out fast, but I think there's a lot of variety. Around here, the specialty shops burn through these in a couple of days, but there's always a ton left on the shelves when the "expiration" date hits. I also get the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that each release is hitting more markets. So it might be that each individual market (outside of SoCal, which naturally seemed to get every release) will see this about as frequently as before.

4. malfunxion

malfunxion Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 New York

It's also a bummer that the last few have all been mediocre at best, they were killer in the beginning.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  5. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

I heard that every other would-be Enjoy By release will be the new Black Enjoy By. But I kinda don't buy that one until I hear it from a source more reputable than the rumor mill. This was from a bartender that heard it from the local rep...or at least that's what you heard from me, some guy on the internet.

Trojan713 and crob3888 like this.
  6. jojo2112

Nah...they've all been equally good since I started drinking them nearly 2 years ago. It's probably your palate changing.

Himself, mikeburd1128 and jrnyc like this.
  7. malfunxion

malfunxion Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 New York

fair enough, stupid palate.

zid likes this.
  8. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

It flies of the shelves here....like lasts a day or two at most stores tops. And we've gotten almost every release for the last year. Sucks it's only gonna see three more bottlings this year.

9. Aaron_Kerkvliet

Aaron_Kerkvliet Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Wisconsin

I've noticed a few on the shelves in Chicago past the label name I figured this must have something to do with it.

10. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

A beer would have to go through one serious metamorphosis to go from "killer" to "mediocre at best". Seems to happen a lot around here on BA though. Glad my palate isn't so refined.

mikeburd1128, R3ason, zstef99 and 2 others like this.
  11. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,169) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Your palate changes, I used to love this beer, had some of each of the first 12 or 13 releases. Now I cant get past a couple of sips.

12. jojo2112

Some places around here only allow one bomber per person.

13. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Pretty much what I was stopping in to say.

The point of the beer is to showcase the beer at it's most fresh (obviously). They may have just now hit upon the nexus of production and distribution that works best to make sure everyone has a decent shot at it without letting it sit too long. Plenty of other freshies out there, and they know it. By measuring releases as they have, they are making sure we have a nice fresh product while making sure they have the best demand for it.

14. Plower

Plower Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2014 Texas

Is it illegal to sell the Enjoy By beer after the date marked on it? I'd like to test the beer after the date and see if it gets any better or worse.

15. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,757) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

You're in luck. It's illegal to do so in every state but Texas. You could never pass a law like that in Texas.

icetrauma likes this.
  16. zid

Society Trader

Sucks is being bottled three more times this year? :wink:

17. zid

Society Trader

Stone is spacing releases out so drinkers can have an even harder time remembering the last batch and proclaiming that it was better.

shanebelcher, Matt141 and RicoBrew like this.
  18. Plower

Plower Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2014 Texas

I hear ya man. We got a lot more freedom than other states. New York...you probably can't even walk around without being on camera. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna age that Enjoy By Beer by Stone when I get my hands on it and then see if the trade value increases.

19. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (350) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Its definitely not illegal to sell beer past its best by date. Every package store would violate that law at one time or another if that were true.

Stagga_Lee likes this.
  20. craftbeer408

craftbeer408 Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 California

not sure if this is a serious post. Who would trade for a beer that's gonna taste like crap after aging it?

21. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 California

LOL you guys are hilarious! It's not illegal to drink a Stone Enjoy By IPA after the date, just not advisable if you want to drink a fresh beer. and seeing people want to age it for trade bait is too funny.

22. zid

Society Trader

Sure. Next thing you'll tell me is that you work for Stone or something.
    Since you brought it up, I was once drinking an expired Enjoy By while trying to break open a parking meter and an officer told me I was breaking the law. Seriously?! The freshness police are outta control. You can't make this stuff up.

Smakawhat and pinkgrenade like this.
  23. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

Don't feed the troll, guys.

24. beergeekofkp

beergeekofkp Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2015 New York

Takes a long time to brew good beer! I hope you don't expect them to have a new date every week cheers!

25. crazycatcouple

crazycatcouple Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 Arizona

glad to see this, let people get excited between releases so when it comes out it doesn't just sit on the shelf.

26. timotao

timotao Disciple (300) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

old enjoy by pairs well with corn nuts

StoneBrewing likes this.
  27. Haymarket

Haymarket Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2014 Virginia

I love the beer, but we got minuscule quantities here of the last release, and I didn't get any. The move to 6 packs was great, but meaningless since it never was readily available in Northern Virginia....I hope they bump up production on the next release.

28. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,436) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

As long as we get it whenever they release it, I'm okay with it :wink:

StoneBrewing and richj1970 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.