Stone / Insurgente / Chris Banker - XOCOVEZA Mocha Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jhartley, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaveLB

BigDaveLB Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2013 California

Loving this beer! I have had the chance to have Hunah and Mexican Cake as well. I love this style of beer. This beer holds up. Let's keep it real people, I have been able to buy several bottles for 6.99. It is a freakin steal for price and taste. There should be no haters. Simply put, this is an absolute home run. If you are on this site and like stouts, it is a must find. Go forth and drink, Drink deep!

KhakCane and DeanMoriarty like this.
  2. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (329) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think your palate might have been blown, cinnamon was one of the dominant flavors for me followed by mocha coffee and peppers in the background. I also drank mine about 55F so maybe that made a difference.

DeanMoriarty and lonewolf371 like this.
  3. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just tried this...Awesome beer, at a great price! Thank you Stone. Really makes me question why buy a similar beers for $20+ when I grabbed these for $7 each.

KhakCane, DeanMoriarty and jrnyc like this.
  4. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

Rather than a steal at this price, possibly other breweries ride the "hype" train to overprice their beers.

Doomcifer likes this.
  5. lonewolf371

lonewolf371 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Michigan

This makes me sad, but I wouldn't be surprised.

6. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Anyone... any one know if it has hit ATL yet?>

7. end_27

end_27 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 Illinois

Heard rave reviews, so decided to jump on the band-wagon.

[​IMG]

8. wesbourne

wesbourne Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 Florida

I was traveling and all but one bottle shop in Raleigh was sold out, and i knew I'd get home to find Orlando even worse so paid what I could. I'd pickup a case if I could at $6.99! That being said I love Bomb so wouldn't mind even more peppers and flavours.

9. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Ohio

I would definitely revisit as it was a straight vanilla/cinnamon bomb to me. The peppers lend a slighty smokey ashy-ness but no real heat.

neurobot01 likes this.
  10. Fox82791

Fox82791 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

Yea I don't get the high ratings either, I tried one last night and it was very balanced but the flavors were very light and thin.

11. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

hah I must have mentally heard you while shopping at trader joes. picked one up for 6.99 and WOW amazing flavor and well executed stout. I'm gonna have to get a couple more i feel my girlfriend will like it a lot.

12. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (666) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Yeah I definitely would have picked up more than 3 bottles myself if I'd known how much my wife would like it. Cheers!

13. MaltMilkshake

MaltMilkshake Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2011 California

I must be missing something or my bottle was off. Too bitter and ashy and little to no sweetness at all. Not to mention the peppers had no heat.

Ursushopsius likes this.
  14. cbanker

cbanker Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2005 California

Temperature makes a huge difference with this beer, so make sure you are letting it warm up enough for the flavors to come out. I find that the peppers don't really shine through until it warms up quite a bit.

BigDaveLB and LancetherealLeader like this.
  15. hophead86

hophead86 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2014 California

willing to trade for some jai alai ipa :wink:

16. mychalg9

mychalg9 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Going to try this alongside a Huna and a Mexi Cake (and hopefully Abraxas) next week. Hopefully will report back my scientific findings.

17. rojapa

rojapa Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 New York

FOR SCIENCE!

18. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Willing to. But I would hope it make its way to the city eventually. I'll keep you in mind if it doesn't.

19. DblDiamond

DblDiamond Aspirant (205) Jul 17, 2013 Arizona
    Trader

The aroma is outstanding on this if you let it warm a bit. Huge coffee upon opening but then cinnamon and chocolate come in as it warms. Taste changes drastically too. Coffee, chocolate and peppers. The pepper flavor is just right. Find this stout.

20. KG710

KG710 Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2014 Georgia

It hit Athens today, so I would assume Atlanta would have it too.

21. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina

Still waiting for this to hit in SC. I did manage to pick up 3 bottles in NC last weekend and drank one already. Like others have said, this one really changes for the better as it warms up!

22. Ursushopsius

Ursushopsius Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 California

Only had it cold. I definitely got the aromas and flavors advertised, but the peppers overwhelmed the complexity to be honest. Just tasted like a spice bomb to me with a semi-sweet finish (cocoa, vanilla).

23. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Illinois

It was good. Tasted like a Starbucks drink to be honest. Very strong coffee.

Fargrow likes this.
  24. MisterGone

MisterGone Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2014 California

Saw this on shelves I some North County stores...

I have been wanting wanting wanting some Insurgente, as I hear great things from those who have gone to Tijuana to sample their wares. The collaboration is good news, but seriously... How do I get Insurgente? The Modelo/Tecate cartels make it virtually impossible. That, and I have no passport (yes, lazy).

Does this collaboration open the door to Stone perhaps getting US distribution? Quiero Insurgente!

25. hophead86

hophead86 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2014 California

the best way is to go to tj and buy your stuff . or go on mercado libre (its like the Mexican Ebay ) where you can buy Mexican craft beer from all over the country . I have come to find out that they really like their stouts and imperials.

was trying to trade some stuff with some user and he was asking for hard to find beers (at least for Cali people ) .

26. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2013 Colorado

It is in Atlanta. I picked up a bottle at Hop City on my way home yesterday. Looking forward to trying while watching some football today.

27. HopSynonymous

HopSynonymous Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2013 Massachusetts

Am I crazy for getting peppers RIGHT up front? I feel like people are talking about them sneaking in toward the finish, or not getting much at all. They popped first for me, followed by chocolate, and ending with the nutmeg and cinnamon...

28. Mshull

Mshull Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio

Anyone find this in Ohio yet

BigSpeen3436 likes this.
  29. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

the thinness its to be expected when you consider that it is a milk stout...if one is comparing it not to huna( imperial stout) and more along the consistency of left hand milk stout, then this is probably the best milk stout ive ever had

30. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

I didn't read the bottle novel but is it a milk stout with lactose? I'd be bummed because my gf is vegan and she would like the taste I think.

edit I looked it up and stone lists it as milk stout damn

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  31. CyriousBeer

CyriousBeer Initiate (0) May 7, 2013 New York

This beer is legit. It can't compete head-to-head with Mexican Cake. Lower ABV. But it's less than $10 as well. To quote @dar482, this is the best Stone brew since RuinTen. I constantly try new Stone offerings and am frequently disappointed. You'd think I'd have given up by this point.

They packed a huge amount of flavor in for the ABV.

MPorts25 and dar482 like this.
  32. GabberGod

GabberGod Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 California

Got two bottles of this. Had one a few weeks ago and it tasted like straight cocoa nibs. Didn't really taste any complexity. All I could taste was the coffee/chocolate taste of cocoa nibs. Will have to open up the second bottle and try it again. Overall I probably wouldn't get it again. It's not bad for the price but there are better beers in the same price range.

33. brywhite

brywhite Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 California

I had some this morning. It's good. Not too sweet. Dark cocoa and coffee upfront with an interesting cinnamon backbone - very slight tingle or burn I think from the cinnamon (or maybe the peppers?). It's hard to tell because the cinnamon seemed more pronounced than any detectible pepper taste.

Very good. I'd buy more to cellar.

Would be very interested in a bourbon barrel aged version!

Black_Rider likes this.
  34. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,057) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society

I had this at the Stone Company store by the Santa Fe Depot before hopping on the train yesterday. I liked it a lot. One of the better beers I've had this year.

35. kell50

kell50 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

My buddy grabbed me a bottle a week ago. He popped his and loved it. If like to crack mine open soon too. Any word/ thoughts in how this stuff would age?

36. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Illinois

Well I sure feel had after paying $13 for a bomber to go at San Diego Airport's Stone bar. If only I knew I could fly home and find it at Binnys, cardinal, etc.

That said, had it first at the bar and loved it.

37. Wagner2010

Wagner2010 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2014 Ohio

Has anyone seen this in Ohio?! ISO

38. Birdrinker

Birdrinker Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Colorado

This one reminds of Cinnamon Roll'd Wake 'n bake, such a great cinnamon flavor over a background of coffee and cocoa, this is a damn good shelf beer....ISO of more!!!

39. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Not sure about in town but I'm on the south side and have seen it already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.