Stone IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davidsumner, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidsumner

davidsumner Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Virginia

On the bottle of a Stone IPA it says "Refrigerate"

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether or not Stone IPA should be refrigerated or not for storage. I usually keep several kinds of beer in my cabinet and usually drink my IPA's at room temp and which I've never had a problem, so I was just wondering if there is any good reason for refrigerating my Stone IPA?

Also; I was wondering what the basic guidelines were for keeping beer past 6 or so months in a cabinet? Style, ABV, storage temp... etc...

2. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2005 California

It shouldn't be stored at all IMO - you should drink it immediately. If you have to store it (six months is pushing it I'd say), refrigerate for sure.

3. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,891) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I think almost all IPAs should be refrigerated. But if you've never had a problem drinking room-temperature IPAs, save that space for your 5-gallon tub of mayo.

To learn how to store/cellar beer, see this link: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

4. davidsumner

davidsumner Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Virginia

I just read an article after searching; "Room Temp Beers". I'm not sure how I got into the habit of drinking almost all of my beer at room temp, but now I see that I should probably store most of my beer in the fridge.

5. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Disciple (374) Nov 21, 2008 Texas
    Trader

"Refrigerate" is for storage. Drink it at whatever temperature you like. If you want to drink it at room temperature, take it out of the refrigerator in the morning (or at night if drinking breakfast)

6. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

All beer that you do not plan to age should be refrigerated for the sake of freshness. Of course there's probably others who will tell you otherwise from behind the desks of science.

The cold retards aging.

7. Zimbo

Zimbo Savant (972) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

Who are you callin' a retard?

dannyhipps likes this.
  8. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

all IPAs should be bought and kept cold and consumed ASAP.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  9. Fubar1453

Fubar1453 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2010 Massachusetts

Be sure to drink every single IPA the night you buy it, otherwise a fungus will grow inside it that will consume your soul.

10. PhantasIPA

PhantasIPA Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2011 Delaware

I have always been a big fan of Stone Brewery beers, especially Stone IPA. I usually buy them warm, refrigerate, them once I get home, and consume within days, if not hours! I like a cold beer, IPA or not. I have tried them at friends' houses warm but always preferred them cold. Beyond my personal agenda, I couldn't tell you the precise rules, just drink it the way you like it! If it goes against the norm, then f**k em' all...drink them against the norm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.