Stone releases new Xocoveza Tres Leche variant

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerVikingSailor, Oct 27, 2021.

1. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,080) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

2. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (339) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm disappointed they are adding lactose. I felt this beer walked the line of pastry stout without crossing it but lactose will probably take it over the edge.

This is my old man grumblings stemming from the abundance in lactose beers coming out this year.

3. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (371) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Is cinnamon the new fruit [to an IPA] trend we had going on years ago? Seems like more beers are popping up with this additive. And Centennial as the lone hop? May add some odd flavors into the mix.

I liked the regular version but didn't love it and something kind of tasted a bit off to me...not bad, but there was a certain underlying flavor that was clashing just a tad. I would try a single of this, though.

mikeinportc likes this.
  4. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,458) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

So, does this mean no "regular" Xocoveza this year?

HorseheadsHophead and Bitterbill like this.
  5. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (616) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Will definitely pick up if I see it

6. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

On the Stone website under their beers - only this variant appears, so I would guess your answer is "no" to the regular version in 2021

7. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (175) Nov 8, 2009 New York

OG version had lactose according to their website. Matter of fact, if I’m reading their website correctly, This version isn’t much different than the original at all except the addition of rice and oats.

https://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/special-releases/stone-xocoveza#ageGatePassed

8. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Popped a 2017 bottle this evening....
    Still tasting fine - just a little less heat....

[​IMG]

beerjerk666, Redrover, Rug and 5 others like this.
  9. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (697) Mar 28, 2009 California

haven’t had this but a buddy did say this version is sweeter and more pastry stout

10. readyski

readyski Aspirant (291) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Went to Bevmo, this was on my radar. Grabbed a 4 pak of IPAs, then swapped out for the Xoco variant 6 pack when I saw it. I subsequently came upon the 'new' KBS, so I got that also.
    Proceeded to drink one of each, and must say they are quite similar (guess not a huge surprise once I examined the labels). The new Xocoveza came across louder/brighter than the "yellow label" KBS with Cinnamon, hops and carbonation? more prominent. The KBS to its credit was quite smooth and also delicious, but actually preferred the Xoco (it was also substantially cheaper per oz).

11. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,823) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm in for a single. It'll make a nice addition to my 12 Beers of Christmas lineup.

12. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,030) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

13. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (339) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Rug likes this.
  14. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Picked up a sixer Thursday evening - going to give it a try this evening....

[​IMG]

:+1: :heavymetal:

15. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (146) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Nothing like what most expect a pastry stout to be. Not too sweet and doesn't become a chore to drink more than 4 oz

BillAfromSoCal and Rug like this.
  16. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (697) Mar 28, 2009 California

That’s good. Compared to the pastry stouts in the market today I would expect it not to be as sweet. I’ve had some patty stouts that make actual dessert taste mild.

17. Riff

Riff Champion (877) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Can't say I'm particularly interested in this. Could do without the extra sugar being added in.

HorseheadsHophead and ChicagoJ like this.
  18. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Meyvn (1,415) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Xcoveza is one of my favorites, saddened they don't have the same recipe this year, but excited to try the new variant.
    Cheers!

Rug and BillAfromSoCal like this.
  19. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (259) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Here’s what I texted my friends:
    Thin body. No head retention and zero lacing. Limited spice; touch of cinnamon. Bell peppery aroma. No heat at all. Zero sweetness. Alcohol nose as it warms. Shoulda just rolled down my window and threw out $20.

#19 Ronmarley1, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,912) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I would only buy a single given the chance.

21. o29

o29 Disciple (300) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

While I agree with some of your other notes, I had a different experience with the look of the beer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine had great head formation, decent retention (it is an adjunct stout), and good lacing.

22. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,332) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I want to try it, but I am disappointed that they replaced original Xocoveza. That beer was flawless. Between this, and, more importantly, Lagunitas ditching Born Yesterday, I must say--these old-school West Coast breweries are hellbent on destroying what little remains of their fanbase.

23. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,861) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

It seems that way with all breweries that distribute beer. Chase the trends and screw the people who got them to where they are today. Literally 99% of the shelf is hazy this, double IPA that..pastry stouts. All while charging more for 4x16oz cans than what most of these breweries used to sell a 12 pack of beer. Meh

24. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,458) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Agreed. Stone really has pissed me off with their discontinuation of several beers that I liked in their portfolio - Levitation, IRS, Double Bastard. Add the fact that they stopped distributing Wootstout to my area and now bastardizing Xocoveza, I'm almost at a point where I'm "done" with Stone.

25. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,965) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

This might not be a popular answer but there’s another factor at work here and it’s the ticker/untappd crowd I think these breweries are “pandering” to.

Is it more exciting to tick off Born Yesterday for the 3rd year in a row or get a new tick of Contents Under Fresher? Is it more exciting to check-in a Xocoveza for the 9th time in your untappd life or get a brand new tick completely for the Xocoveza variant?

26. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (146) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

I said this before and I'll say it again.

Stone set foot and dominated. Now they cater to haze bros who migrated from corona and modelo to monkish ,stone and whatever else.
    West Coast beer( stone included) is still a giant in beer scene and to @HorseheadsHophead that said West Coast is destroying fan base , if you're happier without them just don't buy it cuz us West Coasters don't need you . The fanbase is still strong here.
    No matter what I will always be a loyalist to stone even though I hate a lot of what they do, but they were trailblazers and no debating that.
    This beer was good for a 10oz pour and this is coming from me that can't stand 90% of pastry stouts

Respect to all you guys .

Cheers

Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  27. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (371) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've been thinking about this as well and there does seem to be quite a bit of change just for the sake of change lately.

guinness77 likes this.
  28. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,965) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

The big boys see what the “local” breweries are doing (for the most part, I shouldn’t lump them all in). New beers every week….more beers for them tickers to tick. Gotta be part of it.

ESHBG likes this.
  29. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,332) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

For real. I would give almost anything to experience how I remember a dank garlicky-onion bomb Enjoy By tasted in 2016. I really could not care less about the dozens of forgettable mediocre hazies they've been pumping out.

Oh, for sure. That's absolutely why they do it. It just sucks because I'm not about that mentality. But at the end of the day, breweries are going to chase where the money is.

30. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (259) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

That looks much better than mine. I usually give an aggressive pour on a stout as well. Maybe the others will be better, but I’m not expecting much change on the flavor.

[​IMG]

o29 likes this.
  31. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (616) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Got my 6er at bottleBOX today, chilling as we speak