Stone RIS Vertical...

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ironchefmiyagi13, Jun 5, 2013.

?

Do they get even better with age?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    93.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee

I recently purchased a Stone '13 RIS and now have the opportunity to buy a '12 and '11. I was just wondering how everyone thinks they hold up and if they are truly cellar-able beers with the potential to be great 4-5 years down the road?

Cheers!

kingkukta likes this.
  2. martin123012

martin123012 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New Jersey

I have 09-13 I plan on opening sooner then later

3. Psykhe

Psykhe Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2010 Maryland

Simply out, yes. Though I'm not sure they necessarily get better with age, they do evolve differently with every year. We have an '08-'13 that we're currently considering/hoping to continue for a full 10 year vert.

With the price and availability of IRS being what it is, I would suggest buying and opening them- finding out for yourself if you appreciate it fresh and changed with some aging and then decide from there if you want to cellar a few out (depending on the price of the older vintages anyway).

Pahn likes this.
  4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,640) Mar 18, 2010 California

Definitely.

5. jdhende

jdhende Aspirant (258) Sep 27, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I had a 2005 about a month ago and it was great.

GRG1313 likes this.
  6. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

I had a '12 last week and it was fantastic. Had an '08 12oz bottle a little over a year ago that blew me away.

7. Scotty

Scotty Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Maryland

According to Stone (which obviously is biased): "We’re still sampling bottles from the first vintage of IRS and finding they hold up and continue to transform with age"

I believe the first vintage was around 2001?

Given it's price point and availability, yes it's worth buying to age, as long as you enjoy it fresh as well.

It's tough to say it will be BETTER with age, maybe just 'transformed' as Stone puts it.

yuichituba and Psykhe like this.
  8. SanDiegoBeerLove

SanDiegoBeerLove Disciple (305) Sep 20, 2009 California

I've had from 2002 to 2012 last year(bottle and tap). I would say they definitely do age well as long as you do it in the proper conditions. BTW, 2002 and 2004 were the best(in bottle).

9. ironchefmiyagi13

Thanks everyone for the responses!
    Pulled the trigger and now have amassed a 3 year vertical in 2 weeks, lol. Looking forward to shooting for at least 5 years.

smithj2154 likes this.
  10. axeman9182

axeman9182 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2009 New Jersey

I got together back in April with a few other people and we did 08-13 along with the two odd year releases. For me the 09 was the highlight.

11. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (2,176) Oct 19, 2010 California

I wish I could give a straight yes.
    We did a vertical of 2000-2012 about a year back. They were all over the place. Not to say that some of them didn't age nicely, but there was no definite trend (aside from the mellowing of fusal alcohols with age). Part of this might have been because the bottles were acquired at different times from about three different cellars. But even when we tried to factor this in, it was hard to find causality. I don't remember the exact results, but it was like: 00 ok, 01 Great, 02 pretty good, 03 oxidated mess, 04 good, etc.
    I think what happens is that there are so many other variables besides age at play, batch varoations, levels of oxygen during production and bottling, cap integrity, cellar conditions, etc, and with age is made scientific comparison almost impossible to do.

12. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

Damn this is unanimous!! One of the most underappreciated impys IMHO

afrokaze and kingkukta like this.
  13. KevSal

KevSal Savant (981) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Strangely this beer I dislike fresh, something about it is too much, with a little age it's much better to me. Every year since I've been into beer I've gotten 2. I've got back to 08 now, was only missing 09 up till recently that I was able to acquire by random chance (thanks again Arne) now with the very back to 08 and the 2 variations (all except bourbon) I'm going to do a vertical tasting with my pops fathers day.

Did all bottled ba IRS' go south with infection?

14. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Like KevSal said, these aren't too impressive fresh, but they start to get really good around the 6-9 month mark and continue to improve for at least 3 years. I've had verts recently dating back to '10 with an isolate '08. The '08 didn't hold up well, but it was a 12 oz and I can't speak to it's storage conditions up to about a year ago. Otherwise, '10 > '11 > '12, so yes, these improve greatly with age, imo.

15. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2012 Virginia

Considering I bought 6 and the wife drank them all I guess I will never find out how they are aged or fresh....

kingkukta likes this.
  16. IPAkindaguy

IPAkindaguy Aspirant (242) Aug 20, 2010 Florida

This is my first vertical I had the ability to start and plan on cracking them open come winter. Have '08-'13 and always looking to add on to. Im excited to see how they age (had 11-13 fresh).

17. ezperkins2

ezperkins2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 California

Stone IRS is one of my favorite beers and I tend to buy a couple of cases each year and slowly drink them over the years. I have several left from the last 5 or 6 years and they definitely get better with age.
    I noticed a post above that someone mentioned that 09 was the best from there tasting. For some reason I have had really bad luck with the 09's. I have had several bottles that were straight drain pours. All of the other years including 08's and 07's I have not had the same issue with. Many of the bottles I got after 2009 so I can't speak for how they were kept for the first year or two but I am curious if it is just bad luck on my part or if anyone else has had the same experience?

18. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Oldest I've had was '04 and that was 2 or 3 years ago. I've had many vintages between '04 - '12 and most were very good. Like most beers, you will always find a bad one in the bunch but overall a great beer to lay down.

19. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,451) Dec 2, 2009 New York

yeah. tried and true, i've had some 09s and 10s that i bought fresh and aged myself and they were outstanding. great beer fresh, great beer aged.

Bluecane and libbey like this.
  20. ironchefmiyagi13

Scratch that, make that a 4 yer vertical

21. smithj2154

smithj2154 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 California

I hosted a '09-13 when 13 came out in April. There were six of us and we sampled and scored each individually. 2011 was the runaway winner after that '09, 13,12,10. '11 was my fav so that tells me to hold onto 2-3 bottles and drink around the two year mark.

22. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (625) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

2013 was great got a 2012 ima try tomorrow through i have no doubts it will be amazing. I'll report back

23. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (540) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry

I was part of a 07-12 vert tasting last year, and the overwhelming favorites were 08 and 09, but 07 was damned good too. I dunno if it'll make it a decade in good shape but I'll try one day.

24. ironchefmiyagi13

Now have a '06-'13 vert. I can't stop, lol. I want the very first one! I at least wanna try for a 10 year vert. That's badass enough

IPAkindaguy likes this.
  25. ironchefmiyagi13

make that a '05-'13 vert. looks like a 10 year vertical is in my near future!

26. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (218) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Is there any particular pattern to how this ages? That is, does it generally get more of a chocolate-malty flavor, or more dark fruit flavors, etc?

27. kingkukta

kingkukta Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 California

I have had 08-10 recently and they were all still drinking quite nicely. I have 06-13 and plan on drinking them soon.

28. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,636) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Premium Trader

I am not generally of the opinion that Stone's RIS gets better with age. Now, having said that I must confess and admit that one of the single best stouts I've ever tasted is the RIS 2005. I tasted it at Stone from the purportedly last keg they had. This was about 2 years ago and, at the time, it was simply spectacular.

29. ezperkins2

ezperkins2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 California

It has been a while since I have cracked an older bottle but the last time I had an 08 along side a 12 (back when the 12's came out) the 08 had much more of a dark fruit flavor than the fresh beer. I love the beer fresh but was blown away at much more I enjoyed the 4 year old bottle over the fresh one.

30. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

Just had an '07. Keeps getting better and better.

afrokaze and ironchefmiyagi13 like this.
  31. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

I've only had vintages from Stone when they put them on tap and they're amazing! I did though watch a stone beer u when they claimed at a certain point the beer would become bad and after another year would become very fruity.

I think they said buy 5 years it "may be" soy saucy and later get very dark fruit flavors.

32. mikedashg

mikedashg Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2008 California

2000 and 2001 were the favorites on tap a couple years ago. Blew everyone away. I cursed. It was like BCS Rare complexity but without the heat, and maybe not quite as complex.

We have a bottle vertical of the same (00 through current) that we need to do soon. But sadly most of us only have the older bottles. My vert goes from 2000, and stops at like 08 or 09, heh. Such problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.