Stone Ruination IPA Returns

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jan 5, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Revisit the quintessential West Coast Double IPA that defined the category 21 years ago

ESCONDIDO, CA (January 5, 2022) – At long last, ‘the liquid poem to the glory of the hop’ returns. Stone Ruination IPA is now available as the first in Stone’s 2023 series of Fan Favorite Returns. This is the original recipe with its most ruinous qualities, just as intended when it first wrecked palates in 2002.

For most, Stone Ruination IPA is the quintessential representation of a West Coast Double IPA. The aroma is piney and resinous thanks to a barrage of hops. The first sip is a vibrant blast of citrusy bitterness with a light malt balance.

This particular beer has a notable history that plays an important role in Stone’s reputation today. It’s the BIG brother of Stone IPA, which was Stone’s 1st Anniversary IPA. The team had been steadily bumping up the hop levels of its anniversary releases every year, but after the massively hoppy Stone 5thAnniversary IPA, adding any more hops would have been, well, ruinous. So, the team brought out a year-round release that would pay homage to the indelicate hop glory of Stone’s first 5 years. In 2002, Stone Ruination IPA became the first full time brewed and bottled West Coast style Double IPA on the planet. In effect, it quickly became the most widely available example of the style. At the time it was an attack on the palate, quite literally off the bitterness charts.

"The original Stone Ruination IPA was in our year-round lineup for 13 years," explained Jeremy Moynier, Stone Brewing Senior Manager of Brewing & Supply Chain. "It's seen a couple different recipe iterations, but this is the first time since 2015 that we've brewed the OG. I love the intense bitterness and the flavor and aroma. That's a classic trio of hops: Magnum, Chinook, and Centennial. This beer defined the West Coast Double IPA style for me, and now with so many expressions of Double IPAs out there, it's amazing to revisit such a classic beer."

Stone Ruination IPA is the first release in Stone’s 2023 Fan Favorite Returns. The series is a lineup of limited release beers that have become signatures of the brewery’s prolific 26-year history. This year’s favorites include:
    • Stone Ruination IPA
    • Stone Downunderstruck IPA – May 2023 – First released for Stone’s 19th Anniversary in 2015. Originally called Stone Thunderstruck IPA, it's coming back with an updated name, but the same beer brewed with all Australian hops.
    • Stone Imperial Notorious P.O.G. – June 2023 – An amped-up version of Stone’s legendary Berliner Weisse. Inspired by Hawaiian POG juice and brewed with passion fruit, orange and guava.
    • Stone Xocoveza – October 2023 – Stone’s epic imperial stout inspired by Mexican hot chocolate. Brewed with chocolate, coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg and pasilla peppers.
    Stone Ruination IPA is now available in all its bitter hop glory nationwide in 12oz six-pack cans, 22oz bottles and draft. Visit https://Shop.StoneBrewing.com for shipping direct to addresses in CA, OH, VA and Washington D.C. or locate the beer by zip code at https://Find.StoneBrewing.com

###

Rug, Roguer, Beers-es and 16 others like this.
  2. smutty33

smutty33 Pooh-Bah (2,088) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes, yes, and more Yes!

I’ve been yearning for a taste of OG Ruination. Give it to me straight up, minus that variety pk. Great beer news in a world of wimpy juice bombs!

Xocoveza coming back @keithmurray

Cheers all....

T-RO, neenerzig, Roguer and 9 others like this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ruination was the most bitter beer I'd ever tried for years and years. I tried it at GABF 2004 and I absolutely hated it. I eventually grew to enjoy it, but it took time. I'm curious how it tastes since that style of DIPA has kinda disappeared.

neenerzig, Roguer, Bitterbill and 8 others like this.
  4. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Looking forward to Ruination. It seems the ABV will be 8.2% but I do see some references where the original might have been 7.7%? (e.g., 2002 BA review). So is it really the OG? :thinking_face::laughing:

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Below is from a post in the AHA forum in 2017:

“This is the 1.0 recipe but it should give you a starting point.

Stone Ruination IPA
    94.2% 2-row pale malt
    5.8% C-15 crystal malt
    Magnum and Centennial hops
    Finishing ABV=7.7%; IBU’s=105

emailing them is the best option, they're usually really open about giving out recipe info except for AB.

from stone site:
    ALC/VOL 8.5%
    Magnum Nugget Centennial Simcoe Citra & Azacca
    we employ dry hopping and hop bursting to squeeze every last drop of piney, citrusy, tropical essence from the hops that give this beer its incredible character.

Our revamped recipe brings in a different hop bill combining classic varietals—Centennial and Magnum—with newer cultivars that weren’t even a glimmer in their growers’ eyes 12 years ago. Those newbies are some of the hottest hops on the market: Citra, Simcoe and Azacca. We spent the better part of a year running multiple prototypes of this beer through the brewhouse and bar at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station, tweaking quantities, addition times and more in an effort to make the best update to this storied beer as possible. And that’s just what we ended up with—a double IPA that bursts forth with hop aroma akin to melon and a variety of citrus and tropical fruits, and flavors that fall right in line with those tantalizing scents.

A lighter malt character allows that fruitiness to shine, but it’s more than a reduction in grain and proper attenuation that’s responsible for Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0’s brilliant taste profile. We employed a modified take on the hop-bursting method that brings so much hop flavor to our sessionable Stone Go To IPA. It’s another one of those technical revelations we made in the more recent future, which we were excited to use when taking on the task of improving on Stone Ruination IPA. There are a number of other tricks of the trade we applied to this beer, but we have to keep some of those under our hats.”

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29092.0

So, Stone Ruination 1.0 was indeed 7.7% ABV.

You will also notice a difference in hop varieties used:

· 1.0 version: Magnum and Centennial

· 2.0 version: Magnum, Nugget, Centennial, Simcoe, Citra & Azacca

· The 2023 version: Magnum, Chinook and Centennial

I wouldn’t be surprised if they tweaked the grain bill as well for the 2023 version.

Cheers!

6. Resistance88

Resistance88 Pooh-Bah (2,808) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

yall were saying ?

ChicagoJ and jonphisher like this.
  7. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Savant (1,175) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Well, that makes my day! Ruination is the one that turned me into a hop head.

neenerzig, nascarbob99, JrGtr and 4 others like this.
  8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

They heard me!

But seriously, after I sent my post(s) in the other thread I remembered that they brought back Russian Imperial Stout nationwide. And it was damn good.

Looking forward to this too.

Resistance88, o29, fuzzbalz and 3 others like this.
  9. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Is this the thread where we like stone again…? :grin::beers:

Rug, Roguer, GetMeAnIPA and 9 others like this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]

11. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Maven (1,345) Mar 5, 2014 New York

This one was definitely one of reasons I used to buy Stone. Really all their OG recipes were great but they got lost in shuffle as craft choices expanded and they changed taste profile and were no longer good value

I never saw the RIS return, but might have to find this. It was certainly easier back in 2002 period when this came out

Resistance88, neenerzig, o29 and 4 others like this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sapporo giving the people what they want.

Resistance88, jhavs, Rug and 11 others like this.
  13. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So looking at the hops, we are getting a Stone Ruination 3.0 in 2023. I don’t recall ever having the OG but really liked 2.0 a lot so Ill be buying the 2023 version. Love the Stone throw back limited releases. That’s good craft beer business model IMO (annual release of different beers), and they charge $3-4 more per sixpack than their generic not-Delicious series so hopefully that still hits their profit margins while pleasing a segment of craft beer consumers.

Resistance88, Rug, Roguer and 4 others like this.
  14. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can definitively say that if Ruination and the Imperial Stout return to shelves for good....my Stone purchases will be early and often...both beers that gateway-ed me into this thing.

15. CentralPABeerDude

CentralPABeerDude Crusader (482) Sep 1, 2022 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Count me in for at least a 6er of Ruination and probably a few 6ers of Xocoveza. Never had POG that I remember, so maybe try this also.

Resistance88, Roguer and ChicagoJ like this.
  16. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ruination 2.0 was nearly impossible to find fresh in most places in US back 7-10 years ago when it was always available. In todays cluttered IPA shelves in stores it would be even harder to find fresh Ruination if it were to become a flagship beer once again. I’d prefer to keep Stone hoppy IPAs sold to retail as an annual release, buy a few sixers/cases and enjoy it for 1-3 months fresh. Old beer on shelves is why Stone created the Enjoy By series of IPAs, by putting big bold dates right on the packaging…a middle finger to the distributors and retailers who were always sneaking old product onto unknowing customers.

Resistance88, VABA, Roguer and 5 others like this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

Pooh-Bah Society

This was probably the first double IPA I ever had way back in 2004. Rip-your-tongue-off bitterness. I also shudder to think what the bottling on dates were back then, no one checked.

Only came in bombers too.

18. AlcahueteJ

Pooh-Bah Society

One of the best things Stone ever did. One could argue they pioneered beer geeks starting to be ultra careful about IPA freshness dates.

It also helped that it was a good beer.

Resistance88, Roguer, o29 and 9 others like this.
  19. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's easy to look at what Stone became or even what Greg became, but Stone is responsible some amazing things. They were one of my favorite breweries (anywhere) for roughly a decade. Even vs. the other places putting out hop bombs in the SD area.

Resistance88, Roguer, o29 and 8 others like this.
  20. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Excellent point...you're probably right...the RIS can sit for a long time but not Ruination.. I really didn't even think about the Enjoy By series as by the time it reaches me, it's within a couple of weeks of its Enjoy By date

Resistance88 and ChicagoJ like this.