Stone Ruination New Vs. Old

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by M_C_Hampton, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

So I just did a side by side double blind tasting of old Stone Ruination vs Ruination v2.0. I can honestly say that I like the old version better than the new. I'm having that feeling I did back in the '80s when New Coke came out. Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?

2. gshak

gshak Zealot (559) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

I'm going the opposite way on this. New Ruination >>> Old Ruination.
    I just couldn't care much for the old Ruination - fresh or not, it was just a bitter, pine bomb and no more. The new one on the other hand fires on all cylinders - tropical, juicy, resiny, piney, and all things that make a great IPA. I actually prefer this to every other IPA that Stone has put out there, including Enjoy By (Oh, the blasphemy of saying it out loud :grimacing:)

3. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

I like the new version out of a tap. It's a great fun beer with plenty going on in the hop department. However... if I am drinking it from a bottle I like the first Ruination better.

4. TheBeerdedCharmer

TheBeerdedCharmer Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Pennsylvania

I enjoy both of them but I would need to try both of the side by side to decide which is better.

hopnado likes this.
  5. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,469) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Not me. The new version has much of the same reminiscence of the old one in hop flavors with added tropical complexity with the new hop additions; AND it is also a lot smoother and less brutally astringent on bitterness while still remaining really crisp and smooth. I prefer the new one, but still loved the old one as well.

6. rab53

rab53 Poo-Bah (3,260) May 1, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

I enjoy v2.0 much more that the original. In its day it was somewhat cutting edge for being such a bitter beast, but the DIPA landscape has evolved.

7. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,861) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I thought the original version stood out more taste-wise. The new version tastes fine, but I don't find it very "ruinous" to the palate.

WoostaBia, rphx88 and chrismattlin like this.
  8. ColdOneKev

ColdOneKev Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2012 North Carolina

Love the old and love the new. I gave an ever-so-slight edge to the new because of the more varied hop profile. However pine resin is one of my favorite hop flavors and I will miss the old.

9. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,460) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Do they still make Ruination or did you drink an old bottle?
    Put me down for 2.0 - I recall enjoying the original, but I loved the 2.0.

jcos, cherche and StoneBrewing like this.
  10. Rlhinson2104

Rlhinson2104 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2014 Florida

I find the 2.0 to have be more crisp and dry on my palate. I love the flavor, but I think I prefer the more sticky, lingering mouthfeel of the original.

11. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

I drank them side by side when they first came out, and I found that the new one is more complex, citrusy, more generally fruity with hints of a multitude of fruits, less piney (but still a strong presence) and it is not quite as bitter. As many have said, the first go-round was a pine bomb. This 2.0 is more refined and complex, owing to the hops...neither one is my favorite. They are both great in their own way and for the sake of choosing one, I have to go with the 2.0...just one man's opinion...I could see why it could be mostly a toss-up, depending on personal preference...though it seems many like 2.0 better...

RockAZ, drtth and StoneBrewing like this.
  12. GuitarIPA

GuitarIPA Zealot (558) Mar 24, 2013 Connecticut

I like them both. It's interesting that Stone, having so many beers on the market, didn't have room for both.

13. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Original Ruination please.

14. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,032) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Original was much better for me. I really don't like the dank trend, and to me, Ruination 2.0 tastes like it is chasing that particular trend

15. 31Sam13

Yes...this is one thing I was remiss in mentioning. The syrupy mouthfeel of the original was wonderful and had me shaking my head the first sip of 2.0 I took, as it is not as good as the original in this regard...

16. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,292) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

2.0 just got released in Alberta so I'll know in the near future:wink:

17. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (234) Jan 8, 2015 California

I prefer 2.0 as well with the brighter citrusy tones. I do not like the 2.0 price of $13.99/6 however.

18. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

Agree, I think OG is better. I feel like 2.0 isn't as smooth going down

neenerzig likes this.
  19. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,258) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I liked the old one for what it did, but I really like this one, probably more. It's still very aggressive and bitter, so it's not really losing out on what the original brought to the table, but at the same time it incorporates newer, fruitier hop profiles to give it more flavor overall.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  20. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

I'll say it again. It's the same beer. Just a wee bit cleaner and a wee bit brighter... For the better IMHO. But in all honesty, it's not all that much different. Marketing / re-branding ploy by Stone in the midst of a new and younger exploding market. Smart.

21. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,805) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

I like the original better for several reasons.

Eric

22. basics

basics Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

The original is better, has a better balance with the malts playing off the hops really well. You can see it in the color with the original being a tawny orange color and the 2.0 being a yellow straw color. The very first time I had the original back in 2011 my head was blown off my neck. The new one is a good beer but original ruination was baller as fuck. The problem they had was deciding whether to make it 4pack or 6pack and keeping it fresh. If it was a 4pack at 9.99 it would have sold all day every day. Of course I am sure that is cost prohibitive. However the fact that the new 2.0 is 10.99 a 6pack vs. 15.99 for the old ruination tells you that there is a lot less going into the beer ingredients wise than the predecessor.

23. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Alaska

2.0 is fresher right now so I choose that one. I love both recipes

StoneBrewing likes this.
  24. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

New one is better and keeps with the current trend in DIPAs.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  25. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Crusader (779) Sep 29, 2013 New York

Need a side by side. Had 2.0 a few nights ago and really enjoyed it.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  26. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (748) Mar 28, 2009 California

V 2.0 for me. The original was too orange citrus and more harshly bitter. V 2.0 does have that onion note that I can see more people disliking it.

27. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,286) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

This is the thing that I don't get. Higher abv and far cheaper for the new one in 12 oz bottles at least.

As for comparing them, the old was better but 2.0 is an interesting beer. Not one I'll likely buy often but it's not bad.

28. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,849) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Both good, but prefer the palate crushing bitterness of v1.0

Kuaff likes this.
  29. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 Texas

30. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (359) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think the new one although I haven't been able to find it since the first 2 weeks it came out.

31. crazycatcouple

crazycatcouple Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 Arizona

Old always tasted waaaaaaay hotter than it actually was abv wise. The new one like others have mentioned is more rounded with it's flavor profile. Also six packs dominate four packs anyday of the week. Wish the new one had a bit more of a bitter blast at the first sip but that's my only gripe, and one that you're only gonna get from people like me who drink too many dipas and wonder why nothing is bitter anymore.

32. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Agree. IMO, the original was more pungent and masked a lot of the other hop nuances.

superspak likes this.
  33. BeerZar

BeerZar Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 Ohio

I agree with several other posters that I really enjoyed both versions, but 2.0 gets my vote. I really loved the bitterness of the first one, but kind of had to be in that particular mood. The new one is more rounded with some of that bitterness still remaining. It just feels more approachable and one that I will go back to more often. I'll be happy with the new version and Ruinten a couple of times a year.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  34. Hayden34

Hayden34 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

superspak likes this.
  35. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

Sadly it was an old bottle, still in date, but not as fresh as the V2.0

Greywulfken likes this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I generally love Stone beers, but Ruination was a one trick pony, it was just purely bitter, not much else going on there. Haven't seen the new stuff yet, but I really haven't been looking, but obviously I'll give it a try.

37. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Drinking my second one now. Grapefruit,(maybe the rind) pineapple, Some bitterness. 2.0 so far is for me is the winner.
    Still like OG Ruination but it has some serious bitterness to it.

Shroud0fdoom and StoneBrewing like this.
  38. bgold86

bgold86 Crusader (786) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Trader

The original was better, new one is too crisp ala enjoy by, very disappointing.

39. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,503) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Agreed with OP on 1.0 for sure. All the qualities that you folks are raising about 2.0 "juicy," "new hop additions," "brighter citrusy tones," "a lot smoother" etc. are the reasons I did not like it as much. When the beer hit my palate it was no where near as aggressive as I was hoping. I don't drink Ruination for a more balanced experience. I drink it for a hop assault. Definitely moving in the wrong direction with this beer by trying to jump on the "balanced" bandwagon. Now I did have a fresh Stone IPA the other day out of the bottle and the hops danced on my tongue. I would drink that over Ruination 2.0 any day. Ruination used to be Stone IPA on crack. I just don't like the new recipe.

40. 31Sam13

So far advantage 2.0, but the race is neck and neck...lol...

StoneBrewing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.